Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: TV and computer hookup?

Re: TV and computer hookup?

Jeff Strickland

"Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> have a fried who is almost totally blind legally and we bought for him a
> 32 " Sharp #LC32D41U TV as a monitor with his 4200+ HP desktop running on
> Windows XP Professional with SP's installed.
>
> For some reason it gives him no image of Windows when turned on suddenly,
> after it worked fine for months.

I'm guessing that there is a Function Key that sends video output to the
monitor that has been turned off, OR there is a setting inside the TV that
tells it where to accept input from -- the cable system, the RCA jacks, that
sort of thing. These input selections are found on the remote and on buttons
on the side of the TV set.

This is one of those problems where a setting has changed because the person
that uses the sytem is not apt to be unplugging stuff and moving wires
around. If there is a PlayStation for his neices and nephews to use when
they come over, look at the settings there too.

Jeff Strickland

If you can plug in a monitor and it works, then plug the SAME cable into the
TV and it does not work, then the TV is the trouble. If you need a different
cable, but use the same port on the computer, then the cable can be the
problem. If the TV uses different resources on the computer, then a setting
on the TV or a setting on the computer (one of the Function Keys) is the
problem.

Consider that the computer supports display on an overhead projector, and
other similar devices -- a TV falls into this category -- and the video
output in this case is dictated by the Function Keys. Sometimes a computer
operator will be looking at the monitor as he is speaking to a crowd that
watches the display on a large screen, in this case the display will be
shown in two places at the same time. In another application, the speaker
might be looking at the large projection screen and using a remote control
to change the pages on his presentation. In these two scenarios, the
operator will use a Function Key (typically there are two keys used in
conjunction to invoke the display output) to toggle between the display on
the monitor or on the external device (TV or projection screen) or both.

The TV also has inputs, Cable, Antenna, or other video source (sometimes
called Aux or AV). Selecting these inputs can come from buttons on the side
of the set -- as you have on your Vizio -- or from a button on the remote
that says INPUT, or from the TV's menu.

Consider the easiest way for a person that is sight-challenged to afffect a
change, my guess is the remote control for the TV or keypresses on the
keyboard.

I would shy away from any setting on the computer that requires navigating
through screens, such as a right click on the Desktop and selecting
Properties, then finding the Settings Tab so one can dive into a dropdown
box to change the resolution, or finding the Display settings through the
Control Panel (which brings you to the same stuff you get by right clicking
the Desktop and selecting Properties), or going into the TV menu. I would
focus on things that can be done easily and by mistake -- button presses on
the remote or keyboard.

"Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> He has no one else on this computer. No nieces or other children.
> There are no buttons on the side of this Sharp (like I have on my Vizio)
>
> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gctvvi$mvq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> have a fried who is almost totally blind legally and we bought for him a
>>> 32 " Sharp #LC32D41U TV as a monitor with his 4200+ HP desktop running
>>> on
>>> Windows XP Professional with SP's installed.
>>>
>>> For some reason it gives him no image of Windows when turned on
>>> suddenly,
>>> after it worked fine for months.
>>>

>> I'm guessing that there is a Function Key that sends video output to the
>> monitor that has been turned off, OR there is a setting inside the TV
>> that tells it where to accept input from -- the cable system, the RCA
>> jacks, that sort of thing. These input selections are found on the remote
>> and on buttons on the side of the TV set.
>>
>> This is one of those problems where a setting has changed because the
>> person that uses the sytem is not apt to be unplugging stuff and moving
>> wires around. If there is a PlayStation for his neices and nephews to use
>> when they come over, look at the settings there too.

George

"Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Thanks, all of you with various suggestions.
>
> Here is what I had to do when I saw my friend yesterday.
>
> I bought a new NIC, I bought a NVDA video card, I bought a new cable for
> High definition ( he had one with an adapter) and finally, finally all
> worked.
>
> Who would have believed that 3 things needed replacement and I know they
> were 3 things, because I started out with the NIC, nothing. Then the
> cable, nothing. Then a new video card and bang, all works.
>
> Thanks for all your help.

Hmmmm! all three things faulty? are you sure its not just the vid card?
anyway whats the NIC card got to do with the video output? a NIC is for
networking.I suspect someone has been tinkering with the comp or a serious
fault has/is present on the Mobo.

George

"George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RjPJk.72839$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> "Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Thanks, all of you with various suggestions.
>>
>> Here is what I had to do when I saw my friend yesterday.
>>
>> I bought a new NIC, I bought a NVDA video card, I bought a new cable for
>> High definition ( he had one with an adapter) and finally, finally all
>> worked.
>>
>> Who would have believed that 3 things needed replacement and I know they
>> were 3 things, because I started out with the NIC, nothing. Then the
>> cable, nothing. Then a new video card and bang, all works.
>>
>> Thanks for all your help.
>>

> Hmmmm! all three things faulty? are you sure its not just the vid card?
> anyway whats the NIC card got to do with the video output? a NIC is for
> networking.I suspect someone has been tinkering with the comp or a serious
> fault has/is present on the Mobo.

I just realised after posting this...how the bloody hell did your own
monitor work on his PC if the video card was not working?

Bit of advice to you...stay away from computers sounds if you're costing the
guy a small fortune.