Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6

Upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6

Daniel Klein

Are there any guidelines for upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6?

Do you have to uninstall 2.5, or does the installer do that for you?

I have wxPython, mod_python and Django installed. Will these have to
reinstalled/reconfigured for 2.6?

Platform: Windows XP Pro SP3

Daniel Klein

Martin v. L÷wis

> Are there any guidelines for upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6?

Dear Daniel,

Python 2.5 and 2.6 can coexist, so there isn't any need for some
kind of upgrade procedure. Installing 2.6 will not affect your
2.5 installation.

> Do you have to uninstall 2.5, or does the installer do that for you?

No. After installing 2.6, 2.5 will still be around, with all its
add-ons. If you want 2.5 to disappear, you should uninstall
it first.

> I have wxPython, mod_python and Django installed. Will these have to
> reinstalled/reconfigured for 2.6?

Yes, that will be necessary.

Regards,
Martin

Mensanator

On Oct 12, 11:22´┐Żpm, "Martin v. L´┐Żwis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Are there any guidelines for upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6?

> Dear Daniel,
>
> Python 2.5 and 2.6 can coexist, so there isn't any need for some
> kind of upgrade procedure. Installing 2.6 will not affect your
> 2.5 installation.
>
> > Do you have to uninstall 2.5, or does the installer do that for you?

> No. After installing 2.6, 2.5 will still be around, with all its
> add-ons. If you want 2.5 to disappear, you should uninstall
> it first.
>
> > I have wxPython, mod_python and Django installed. Will these have to
> > reinstalled/reconfigured for 2.6?

> Yes, that will be necessary.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

A reason you might want to keep version 2.5 is that
even systems that supposedly work in 2.6 sometimes
don't because they never actually tested it with
2.6. That's rare, but it does happen, so you might
want 2.5 around until you verify that everything
works in 2.6 like it's supposed to.

Tim Roberts

Daniel Klein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are there any guidelines for upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6?
>
>Do you have to uninstall 2.5, or does the installer do that for you?

Neither. It will be installed in a separate directory. If you don't want
2.5 any more, you can uninstall it yourself from Control Panel.

>I have wxPython, mod_python and Django installed. Will these have to
>reinstalled/reconfigured for 2.6?

Yes. Each major version (2.4, 2.5, 2.6) is separate, and has its own DLL.
Further, assuming you installed these using MSIs or Windows exes, you will
have to download new versions of them.
--
Tim Roberts, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Matimus

> Python 2.5 and 2.6 can coexist, so there isn't any need for some
> kind of upgrade procedure. Installing 2.6 will not affect your
> 2.5 installation.

That isn't entirely true. In Windows, python files bound to a
particular version of python in the registry. So, for example, if you
double click on "some_prog.py" to run it, then it will by default
start up using python2.6 once it is installed. Also right-clicking on
a file and selecting "edit with Idle" will open the version of Idle
associated with 2.6 (under 2.6). This is a minor difference, but I
wouldn't say that there are no side effects. They can be easily worked
around.

Matt

Martin v. L÷wis

> That isn't entirely true. In Windows, python files bound to a
> particular version of python in the registry. So, for example, if you
> double click on "some_prog.py" to run it, then it will by default
> start up using python2.6 once it is installed. Also right-clicking on
> a file and selecting "edit with Idle" will open the version of Idle
> associated with 2.6 (under 2.6). This is a minor difference, but I
> wouldn't say that there are no side effects. They can be easily worked
> around.

Indeed. Notice that, at installation time, you have the option to chose
whether the new version should associate itself with the .py extension
or not. Through APR (add-remove-programs), you can later change that
also - unselect it in one installation, then select it in the other
(or run the repair installation if you selected it twice).

Regards,
Martin

Gabriel Genellina

En Tue, 14 Oct 2008 02:26:50 -0300, Martin v. L÷wis <(E-Mail Removed)>
escribiˇ:

>> That isn't entirely true. In Windows, python files bound to a
>> particular version of python in the registry. So, for example, if you
>> double click on "some_prog.py" to run it, then it will by default
>> start up using python2.6 once it is installed. Also right-clicking on
>> a file and selecting "edit with Idle" will open the version of Idle
>> associated with 2.6 (under 2.6). This is a minor difference, but I
>> wouldn't say that there are no side effects. They can be easily worked
>> around.

> Indeed. Notice that, at installation time, you have the option to chose
> whether the new version should associate itself with the .py extension
> or not. Through APR (add-remove-programs), you can later change that
> also - unselect it in one installation, then select it in the other
> (or run the repair installation if you selected it twice).

I'd say the wording in the installer is unfortunate. The option is labeled
"Register extensions" and for some time I thought it was related to
..pyd/.dll files ("C extensions"), not "Associate .py files to this Python
installation"

--
Gabriel Genellina

Martin v. L÷wis

> I'd say the wording in the installer is unfortunate. The option is
> labeled "Register extensions" and for some time I thought it was related
> to .pyd/.dll files ("C extensions"), not "Associate .py files to this
> Python installation"

Unfortunately, I think this is too long for the available space.

Regards,
Martin

Steve Holden

Martin v. L÷wis wrote:
>> I'd say the wording in the installer is unfortunate. The option is
>> labeled "Register extensions" and for some time I thought it was related
>> to .pyd/.dll files ("C extensions"), not "Associate .py files to this
>> Python installation"

> Unfortunately, I think this is too long for the available space.

How about "Make default Python"?

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Steve Holden

Martin v. L÷wis wrote:
>> I'd say the wording in the installer is unfortunate. The option is
>> labeled "Register extensions" and for some time I thought it was related
>> to .pyd/.dll files ("C extensions"), not "Associate .py files to this
>> Python installation"

> Unfortunately, I think this is too long for the available space.

How about "Make default Python"?

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Advice on Upgrading of Section of LAN to Wireless Drew Wireless Networking 6 08-19-2005 06:48 PM
Laptop won't connect to internet after upgrading to SP2 =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55X3dheg==?= Wireless Networking 1 07-31-2005 02:35 AM
Video card Upgrading Poppn Hardware 15 07-09-2005 04:25 AM
Upgrading to high speed, FAQ? David Wireless Networking 4 11-09-2004 08:43 PM
Upgrading LadySpudz Firefox 2 05-04-2004 11:24 AM

Advertisments