Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to transfer programs and files of old computer to new computer?

How to transfer programs and files of old computer to new computer?

alan

I'll be getting a hand-me-down computer which is a bit more powerful than
the one I'm currently using (they're both Compaqs, but the hand-me-down has
Pentium rather than Celeron).
My current system is XPProSP3 and I understand that the hand-me-down will be
a bare-bones XPPro, which I'll have to update to SP3.

The question: what's the best way to transfer both files AND programs from
the old to the new? I've been advised that I'll probably need to use
special software for this task, but I'm not convinced of that.

Help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

--
alan

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

alan wrote:

> I'll be getting a hand-me-down computer ...
>
> The question: what's the best way to transfer both files AND programs
> from the old to the new? I've been advised that I'll probably need
> to use special software for this task, but I'm not convinced of that.

You will have to install your programs on the new computer, as
installations place all the necessary settings in the Windows Registry.
(See your other thread.) You can't just copy programs and applications.

Your files and data can be transferred via several means, of which the
easiest and least complicated would be to burn to CD and copy from that
CD to like places on the new box.

Other ways might be to get a portable hard drive; use online spaces to
copy to and from; or even (if small) email the files to yourself.

--
-bts

mail

1)Connect both PCs to the network and enable File Sharing through the
router.

2) Get a cross link RJ 45 cable and connect it to both computers through
their NIC

3)Take out the HDD from one of the computer and put it into the other
computer (either as primary slave or secondary master).

4) use windows Direct Cable Connection

Regards

"alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vFoIk.4044$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll be getting a hand-me-down computer which is a bit more powerful than
> the one I'm currently using (they're both Compaqs, but the hand-me-down
> has Pentium rather than Celeron).
> My current system is XPProSP3 and I understand that the hand-me-down will
> be a bare-bones XPPro, which I'll have to update to SP3.
>
> The question: what's the best way to transfer both files AND programs from
> the old to the new? I've been advised that I'll probably need to use
> special software for this task, but I'm not convinced of that.
>
> Help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> alan

Alfred

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 08:25:13 -0700, "alan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I'll be getting a hand-me-down computer which is a bit more powerful than
>the one I'm currently using (they're both Compaqs, but the hand-me-down has
>Pentium rather than Celeron).
>My current system is XPProSP3 and I understand that the hand-me-down will be
>a bare-bones XPPro, which I'll have to update to SP3.
>
>The question: what's the best way to transfer both files AND programs from

according to MS transfer of programs is not possible
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ovember12.mspx

>the old to the new? I've been advised that I'll probably need to use
>special software for this task, but I'm not convinced of that.
>
>Help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you.

richard

wrote:

>I'll be getting a hand-me-down computer which is a bit more powerful than
>the one I'm currently using (they're both Compaqs, but the hand-me-down has
>Pentium rather than Celeron).
>My current system is XPProSP3 and I understand that the hand-me-down will be
>a bare-bones XPPro, which I'll have to update to SP3.
>
>The question: what's the best way to transfer both files AND programs from
>the old to the new? I've been advised that I'll probably need to use
>special software for this task, but I'm not convinced of that.
>
>Help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you.

If both machines have an ethernet jack, then the easiest way is to run
a patch cord. You'll need a crossover type. I did that on my two
machines and worked out quite well.

Outside of the process of burning to cd's, you could also use SD cards
and a USB card reader.

Perhaps the even more simpler way would be to acquire an external usb
hard drive. Copy the files to it. Then you have those files available
to both machines any time you need it.

rjdriver

"alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vFoIk.4044$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll be getting a hand-me-down computer which is a bit more powerful than
> the one I'm currently using (they're both Compaqs, but the hand-me-down
> has Pentium rather than Celeron).
> My current system is XPProSP3 and I understand that the hand-me-down will
> be a bare-bones XPPro, which I'll have to update to SP3.
>
> The question: what's the best way to transfer both files AND programs from
> the old to the new? I've been advised that I'll probably need to use
> special software for this task, but I'm not convinced of that.
>
> Help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> alan

As long as you are staying with XP, replace hard disk in new computer with
the one in your current computer. No need to copy anything. Take extra hard
drive, hook it up as a slave in your new computer, format to erase all data
and use for extra space. You may need to reauthorize XP.

Bob