Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Trademe has me scratching my head again (OT?)

Trademe has me scratching my head again (OT?)

Peter Huebner

Went on trademe (and that's the only computer related bit here) and
found a $1 reserve auction for some quad bike/ ride-on loading ramps.
$1 reserve. I put it on my watchlist, just to see.

Bidding had reached around $110 at that stage. Auction was flagged as
'reserve reached'.

After the auction had finished, I got a *fixed price offer* in my email
for $265. The auction had apparently attracted a highest bid of $211.

WTF? How does that guy work it? Auction with a $1 reserve should have
knocked down at $211 and not given him the option to reneg & make a
fixed price offer like that?!?

Is this a con? Absolutely, i.m.o.

-Peter

greg

Peter Huebner wrote:
> Went on trademe (and that's the only computer related bit here) and
> found a $1 reserve auction for some quad bike/ ride-on loading ramps.
> $1 reserve. I put it on my watchlist, just to see.
>
> Bidding had reached around $110 at that stage. Auction was flagged as
> 'reserve reached'.
>
> After the auction had finished, I got a *fixed price offer* in my email
> for $265. The auction had apparently attracted a highest bid of $211.
>
> WTF? How does that guy work it? Auction with a $1 reserve should have
> knocked down at $211 and not given him the option to reneg & make a
> fixed price offer like that?!?
>
> Is this a con? Absolutely, i.m.o.
>
> -Peter

Yes it is a con, most likely has a second one that has been offered at
the fixed price.

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Went on trademe (and that's the only computer related bit here) and
> found a $1 reserve auction for some quad bike/ ride-on loading ramps.
> $1 reserve. I put it on my watchlist, just to see.
>
> Bidding had reached around $110 at that stage. Auction was flagged as
> 'reserve reached'.
>
> After the auction had finished, I got a *fixed price offer* in my email
> for $265. The auction had apparently attracted a highest bid of $211.
>
> WTF? How does that guy work it? Auction with a $1 reserve should have
> knocked down at $211 and not given him the option to reneg & make a
> fixed price offer like that?!?
>
> Is this a con? Absolutely, i.m.o.
>
> -Peter

Another con, auctions flagged as no reserve yet they have a starting bid of
say $79 like this...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...-181068947.htm

No reserve means that by definition if theres no bid then a minimum bid
amount should become the leading bid, in this case say 50 cents. This
auction does have a reserve, of $79, yet it's flagged as no reserve.

J&H.

Peter Huebner

In article <48f24905$(E-Mail Removed)>, jekyll&(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Another con, auctions flagged as no reserve yet they have a starting bid of
> say $79 like this...
> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...-181068947.htm

Actually, I would not consider that a con: effectively the starting bid
is reserve, you make a bid, the auction is yours - fair enough, you see
what you get up front so it's not making any false pretenses.

-P.

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <48f24905$(E-Mail Removed)>, jekyll&(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> Another con, auctions flagged as no reserve yet they have a starting bid
>> of
>> say $79 like this...
>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics...-181068947.htm
>>

> Actually, I would not consider that a con: effectively the starting bid
> is reserve, you make a bid, the auction is yours - fair enough, you see
> what you get up front so it's not making any false pretenses.
>
> -P.

The reserve is $79. If there truly was no reserve then the first bid, for
the minimum amount will become the leading bid.
But that's impossible because the starting bid is $79.
No reserve means "the seller has not specified a reserve price". So how can
the seller then specify $79 as the starting bid, effectively setting the
reserve.
It is making false pretenses as the auction is listed as "no reserve", when
clearly there is a reserve.

J&H.

Richard

Peter Huebner wrote:
> Went on trademe (and that's the only computer related bit here) and
> found a $1 reserve auction for some quad bike/ ride-on loading ramps.
> $1 reserve. I put it on my watchlist, just to see.
>
> Bidding had reached around $110 at that stage. Auction was flagged as
> 'reserve reached'.
>
> After the auction had finished, I got a *fixed price offer* in my email
> for $265. The auction had apparently attracted a highest bid of $211.
>
> WTF? How does that guy work it? Auction with a $1 reserve should have
> knocked down at $211 and not given him the option to reneg & make a
> fixed price offer like that?!?
>
> Is this a con? Absolutely, i.m.o.

No, thats the norm. A $1 reserve to get interested people then offer to
the rest at what they normally have as a buy now or slightly cheaper.

The problem is that you can only offer 1 even if you have many
underbidders which IMO sucks.