Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Is there a timeout on Wireless Network connections

Is there a timeout on Wireless Network connections

Michael Giroux

I had a hardware failure that caused me to reinstall Windows XP.

The system is XP PRO SP2 with all available updates from Windows Update.

I have a Linksys wireless adapter.

Prior to rebuilding the system, the wireless network was constantly
available. It never disconnected as far as I know.

After rebuilding the system, the wireless network seems to drop
periodically.

Is there some configuration option I can set to cause the network to stay
active at all times?

Michael Giroux

Malke

Michael Giroux wrote:

> I had a hardware failure that caused me to reinstall Windows XP.
>
> The system is XP PRO SP2 with all available updates from Windows
> Update.
>
> I have a Linksys wireless adapter.
>
> Prior to rebuilding the system, the wireless network was constantly
> available. It never disconnected as far as I know.
>
> After rebuilding the system, the wireless network seems to drop
> periodically.
>
> Is there some configuration option I can set to cause the network to
> stay active at all times?
>
> Michael Giroux

Look in your wireless network adapter's Properties from Device Manager.
On the Power Management tab, uncheck "Allow Windows to turn off this
device when not in use". If that doesn't help, see if there are updated
drivers. If you are using OEM wireless management software (IOW, not
Windows), see if there is an update to it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com