Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Optgroup </optgroup> and display: none style ...

Re: Optgroup </optgroup> and display: none style ...

Jukka K. Korpela

Koteczek wrote:

> <optgroup label="ABCDEF" style="display: none;" id="hidden">
> <option ....>something 1</option>
> <option ....>something 2</option>
> </optgroup>
> </select>
>
> And the problem is as follows:
>
> FireFox = correct rendering, ABCDEF does not show up - it is hidden
> by 'display none' is't it?

Since you declare the _element_ <optgroup> to have display: none, it should
not be displayed, by CSS specifications, when your style sheet is applied.
The <option> elements are subelements of <optgroup>, so they should not be
displayed either, and any declaration for them cannot override this; see
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#display-prop

So Firefox is wrong if it does what you say. I'm too lazy to check this,
especially since you didn't post a URL.

> M$ Explorer = displays this optgroup like others, it does not respect
> display none style at all, like the style was not there!

Such things may happen. Remember the usual CSS Caveats.

> Opera 9.6 = does not display <options> within the optgroup but
> "empty" optgroup IS being displayed. I hide optgroup and its content
> not only the content! That is crazy....

Crazy it may be - you haven't described what you are really doing and
haven't included a URL - but Opera's behavior, if described correctly here,
would be closest to the specs of the three, though not conformant.

> I must have it like the code = this one optgroup must be hidden and I
> display it when I want via JavaScript.

Then you need to gain totalitarian control over the world so that you can
force everyone to browse with both CSS and JavaScript support enabled.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Ari Heino

Koteczek kirjoitti seuraavasti:
> I DO NOT want this optgroup to be visible to the user when he loads the
> page.
> I want to display these options only when certain JS event happens.

I tested your code. Have you noticed that though the last option is not
visible, you can still select it with arrow keys (in FF also)?
I don't know is that a new problem for you. The display: none doesn't
make it non-existent to any browser. Maybe you know this already, just
making sure.
To the given problem, I have no ideas. I'm not an expert.

--
Ari
http://users.utu.fi/athein/