Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook and sorting of messages

Outlook and sorting of messages

Rolf

Hi,

In Outlook (Office 2000 version) I can create rules for sorting in & out
mail to specified folders. But while IN mail just is moved to the specified
folder, OUT mail is copied, meaning that a duplicate will remain in the
common SENT mail folder.

Can anyone suggest a method, or how I could create som kind of program to
get rid of or delete the duplicates from the sent mail folder?

Rolf

chuckcar

"Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:48f0cf80$0$17878$(E-Mail Removed)2.net:

> Hi,
>
> In Outlook (Office 2000 version) I can create rules for sorting in & out
> mail to specified folders. But while IN mail just is moved to the
> specified folder, OUT mail is copied, meaning that a duplicate will
> remain in the common SENT mail folder.
>
> Can anyone suggest a method, or how I could create som kind of program
> to get rid of or delete the duplicates from the sent mail folder?

How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?

tools->options->send
and uncheck "save a copy of sent messages..."
Then click apply and ok

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

chuckcar wrote:

> How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?

If all one does is forward junk to the relatives, that is probably a
good suggestion.

--
-bts

Rolf

news:gcqt4a$30k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> chuckcar wrote:
>
> > How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?

> If all one does is forward junk to the relatives, that is probably a
> good suggestion.

Would be all right - except it is my daughter who wants to organize business
correspondence at her job. It might be practical to have the sent folder
contain only mail sent to customers not on the regular list. But I'll look
into the 'not-save' option, to see if it might eliminate the unwanted copy
while saving in the desired folder.

> --
> -bts
> -Friends don't let friends drive Windows

Rolf

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:48f0cf80$0$17878$(E-Mail Removed)2.net:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In Outlook (Office 2000 version) I can create rules for sorting in & out
> > mail to specified folders. But while IN mail just is moved to the
> > specified folder, OUT mail is copied, meaning that a duplicate will
> > remain in the common SENT mail folder.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a method, or how I could create som kind of program
> > to get rid of or delete the duplicates from the sent mail folder?
> >

> How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?
>
> tools->options->send
> and uncheck "save a copy of sent messages..."
> Then click apply and ok

This works fine, what I don't find quite satisfactory is that a copy mail to
contacs for which no rule has not been created will not be saved. If we
create a group list for the other contacts we might move copies for them to
the Sent mail folder, but then we would have to keep adding each new
non-regular contact to that group.

An option of adding a 'NOT' to a rule would have been nice. By making all
regular contacts with rules also members of a group - then a rule stating
that mail to contacts not in list could be saved in a folder for them.

> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

"Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:48f2432c$0$17872$(E-Mail Removed)2.net:

> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:48f0cf80$0$17878$(E-Mail Removed)2.net:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > In Outlook (Office 2000 version) I can create rules for sorting in &
>> > out mail to specified folders. But while IN mail just is moved to the
>> > specified folder, OUT mail is copied, meaning that a duplicate will
>> > remain in the common SENT mail folder.
>> >
>> > Can anyone suggest a method, or how I could create som kind of
>> > program to get rid of or delete the duplicates from the sent mail
>> > folder?
>> >

>> How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?
>>
>> tools->options->send
>> and uncheck "save a copy of sent messages..."
>> Then click apply and ok
>>

> This works fine, what I don't find quite satisfactory is that a copy
> mail to contacs for which no rule has not been created will not be
> saved. If we create a group list for the other contacts we might move
> copies for them to the Sent mail folder, but then we would have to keep
> adding each new non-regular contact to that group.
>
> An option of adding a 'NOT' to a rule would have been nice. By making
> all regular contacts with rules also members of a group - then a rule
> stating that mail to contacts not in list could be saved in a folder for
> them.

Well, if you want to do something like that, you'll have to switch to
something like sendmail where you can write your own scripts. A basic
freebie like OE simply isn't capable of that.

http://www.sendmail.org/

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Kenneth

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 20:06:47 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:48f2432c$0$17872$(E-Mail Removed)2.net:
>

>> "chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> "Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:48f0cf80$0$17878$(E-Mail Removed)2.net:

>>> How about just not keeping a copy of your sent mail?
>>>
>>> tools->options->send
>>> and uncheck "save a copy of sent messages..."
>>> Then click apply and ok
>>>

>> This works fine, what I don't find quite satisfactory is that a copy
>> mail to contacs for which no rule has not been created will not be
>> saved. If we create a group list for the other contacts we might move
>> copies for them to the Sent mail folder, but then we would have to keep
>> adding each new non-regular contact to that group.
>>
>> An option of adding a 'NOT' to a rule would have been nice. By making
>> all regular contacts with rules also members of a group - then a rule
>> stating that mail to contacts not in list could be saved in a folder for
>> them.
>>

>Well, if you want to do something like that, you'll have to switch to
>something like sendmail where you can write your own scripts. A basic
>freebie like OE simply isn't capable of that.
>
>http://www.sendmail.org/

Howdy,

Why the comment about OE...?

The OP is using Outlook.