Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > newbie question

newbie question

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Joy Beeson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:36:09 -0500, wodehouse <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > He might want to know that a substitute would be "meet in fellowship,"
> > or "come together in fellowship."
> >
> > But that still leaves out the ladies, even the finest Aussie ones.

> That's going to be big news to the all-female fellowship committee at
> the nearest Free Methodist church.

The use of "fellowship", as with "he" or "him" does not really imply
that men are being talked about. It is an old convention. Bit like
saying "mankind" or "human". Some writers have taken to saying "she"
when they are not particularly meaning female, this can strike some
readers as a little too stridently trying to redress a historical bias.
On the other hand, one can have sympathy with such writers because their
only alternative is to simply parade this bias forever.

English could do with a pronoun that meant either male or female rather
than "he" (or in modern writing, sometimes, "she" to do the job).

If only all earthlings could be like me where "it" is a perfectly apt
way of referring to me.

--
dorayme

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-10-11, richard wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 03:31:19 +0000, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 2008-10-11, richard wrote:

>>> Your friend might be educated by looking at www.oswd.org

>> That's how it should be done? You're joking, right?
>> <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/oswd.jpg>
>>

> That's a good one. I'm damn glad now that the examples offered are
> much better than the main site. Maybe they should use one of them eh?

You mean, like <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/oswd3.jpg>?
Or their many non-scalable designs?

If they can't do a decent job on their own flagship site, how do
you expect them to do others any better?

Author:

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Joy Beeson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:44:48 +1100, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > If only all earthlings could be like me where "it" is a perfectly apt
> > way of referring to me.

> "It" used to be a perfectly normal way to refer to an unspecified
> human, or one of a mixed group. This sometimes gives me a turn when
> reading old books, as in "the children managed to crowd themselves
> into the carriage without anyone getting its feet stepped on."
>
> Joy Beeson

Iteresting. I know that a baby or small child, often to the dismay of
mothers, are referred to as it. Perhaps this is one of those variations.

If you come across references like this with adults in mind I would be
interested to see.

"the soldiers managed to crowd themselves into the carriage without
anyone getting its feet shot off by way of safety catches being jostled
off"

--
dorayme

Els

dorayme wrote:

> "the soldiers managed to crowd themselves into the carriage without
> anyone getting its feet shot off by way of safety catches being jostled
> off"

I'd have to read that as the carriage having feet...

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Neredbojias

On 12 Oct 2008, Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
>> "the soldiers managed to crowd themselves into the carriage without
>> anyone getting its feet shot off by way of safety catches being
>> jostled off"

> I'd have to read that as the carriage having feet...

Maybe it was a pumpkin come to life...

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

Neredbojias

On 11 Oct 2008, wodehouse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:22:11 +0200, Neredbojias wrote:
>
>> On 10 Oct 2008, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> btw, "fellowship", unlike "worship" does not have a noun form and
>>> so the sentence it is in looks bad to me.

>> "Fellowship" is a noun(-form) but the sentence to which you refer:
>>
>> (HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to worship and
>> fellowship.)
>>
>> is actually trying to use it as a verbform (-infinitive).

> He might want to know that a substitute would be "meet in
> fellowship," or "come together in fellowship."
>
> But that still leaves out the ladies, even the finest Aussie ones.

Over here in the states one can find lots of fellow-ladies if one looks
in the right clubs.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/

freemont

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 19:42:42 -0700, richard writ:

> Your friend might be educated by looking at www.oswd.org and seeing how
> real coding is done.

heheh...

> line two</div>

Yuck. I hate this sort of crap, which is so prevalent at oswd. Every damn
thing on a web page doesn't go in its own <div>. I suppose the css for
"topline" would make it resemble an <h1>. Ridiculous.

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
炉`路.赂赂.路麓炉`路-> freemont漏 <-路麓炉`路.赂赂.路麓炉

Peter J Ross

In alt.html on Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:19:53 +0100, +mrcakey
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Peter J Ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:27:31 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for your input. I am not in control of all this at al. But I
>>> will pass your suggestions on.

>> Perhaps somebody who *is* in control of "all this" might be willing to
>> post here. The site isn't badly designed, but the HTML markup is
>> horrible.
>>

> In what way is it not badly designed?!!!!!

The title is at the top, the menu is at the left, and the colours and
images aren't bad. The realisation of the design in markup is the only
thing I really object to.

--
PJR
slrn newsreader v0.9.9p1: http://slrn.sourceforge.net/

dorayme

In article <1sk3wttvdzsv2.1sfzp2l2qw92o$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > "the soldiers managed to crowd themselves into the carriage without
> > anyone getting its feet shot off by way of safety catches being jostled
> > off"

> I'd have to read that as the carriage having feet...

Yes, that would be one reading! I forget if The Little Engine That Could
had feet. Just btw, of course. <g>

--
dorayme