Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > newbie question

newbie question

hamiltoncruiser

My friend is doing the church website and on his IE browser the top
banner looks OK, like this:

HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
A great place to worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.

On my FF browser it looks like this:

HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.

Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
know how to center it for this post)

My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
both IE and FF display it correctly?

The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

....Lisa

Peter J Ross

In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My friend is doing the church website and on his IE browser the top
> banner looks OK, like this:
>
> HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
> A great place to worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
>
> On my FF browser it looks like this:
>
> HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
> worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
>
> Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
> know how to center it for this post)
>
> My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
> both IE and FF display it correctly?
>
> The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html
>
> ...Lisa

Instead of this horrible mess:

rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
style="font-family: 'MS Serif', serif; font-size: xx-large;"><span
style="color: rgb(0,51,204);">HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST</span>
font-size: large;">A great place to worship and
Old Face', serif; font-size: large; color: rgb(255,255,102);"> There�s

try something like this:

<h1>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST<h1>

You can add styles for formatting after correcting your markup to
express the text's meaning clearly.

There are plenty of other faults in your site, but I've confined
myself to the fault that you asked about.

For a new site, you should use HTML 4.01 Strict, not HTML 4.0
Transitional.

By the way, when I visited this page:
<http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/html/sunday_sermons.html>
music suddenly blared from my speakers. If you fix nothing else,
please fix this. *Nobody* wants to hear sounds that they haven't
specifically asked for.

--
PJR
slrn newsreader v0.9.9p1: http://slrn.sourceforge.net/

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peter J Ross <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > On my FF browser it looks like this:
> >
> > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
> > worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
> >
> > Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
> > know how to center it for this post)
> >
> > My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
> > both IE and FF display it correctly?
> >
> > The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html
> >

> Instead of this horrible mess:

> rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
> style="

See as possible part explanation:

Generator with its grand capitalization, for one fleeting moment,
suggests Deity Himself but then one realises the He is not likely up
with the latest and still thinks stone tablet technology. Imagine Moses
getting the commandments via email in a UL (or should the 10 of them be
in an OL? I have firm ideas about this).

<g>

> rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb...
>
> try something like this:
>
> <h1>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST<h1>
>
> You can add styles for formatting after correcting your markup to
> express the text's meaning clearly.

For example, you could, in this case

h1 {text-align: center}

btw, "fellowship", unlike "worship" does not have a noun form and so the
sentence it is in looks bad to me.

> There are plenty of other faults in your site, but I've confined
> myself to the fault that you asked about.

Like epistemological and straight out commonsense ones:

"Those who attend our services are often amazed to see the social,
economic, and racial diversity that God has poured into our Church
family..."

Why, in God's name, would you think such a thing while yet thinking you
have to be so active? If God is pouring things into your church, why not
sit back and let everything happen. How come Peter Ross had to help
here? Does He not know HTML and CSS?

Anyway, this "pouring" sure does not look like Him helping you to help
yourself. If he was merely doing that He would have a lighter touch.
This looks like a takeover by HIM. Perhaps He can't help overdoing
everything He does. I mean, who else could be as good at megalomania?

--
dorayme

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-10-10, hamiltoncruiser wrote:
> My friend is doing the church website and on his IE browser the top
> banner looks OK, like this:
>
> HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
> A great place to worship and fellowship. There?s room for you too.
>
> On my FF browser it looks like this:
>
> HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
> worship and fellowship. There?s room for you too.
>

> Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
> know how to center it for this post)
>
> My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
> both IE and FF display it correctly?

If it's coded correctly, yes.

> The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

The site will not even load into my copy of FF. In fact, it crashes
the browser. (It's the fault of the <applet>s)

The page not valid HTML, but that's what you get from Microsoft
HTML generators. (Microsoft confounds the language of all the Web.)

Author:

hamiltoncruiser

On Oct 10, 5:14*pm, Peter J Ross <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > My friend is doing the church website and on his IE browser the top
> > banner looks OK, like this:

> > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
> > A great place to worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.

> > On my *FF browser it looks like this:

> > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
> > worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.

> > Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
> > know how to center it *for this post)

> > My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. *Can the code be written so
> > both IE and FF display it correctly?

> > The site ishttp://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

> > ...Lisa

> Instead of this horrible mess:

> rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
> style="font-family: 'MS Serif', serif; font-size: xx-large;"><span
> style="color: rgb(0,51,204);">HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST</span>
> font-size: large;">A great place to worship and
> Old Face', serif; font-size: large; color: rgb(255,255,102);"> There s
>
> try something like this:
>
> <h1>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST<h1>
>
> You can add styles for formatting after correcting your markup to
> express the text's meaning clearly.
>
> There are plenty of other faults in your site, but I've confined
> myself to the fault that you asked about.
>
> For a new site, you should use HTML 4.01 Strict, not HTML 4.0
> Transitional.
>
> By the way, when I visited this page:
> <http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/html/sunday_sermons.html>
> music suddenly blared from my speakers. If you fix nothing else,
> please fix this. *Nobody* wants to hear sounds that they haven't
> specifically asked for.
>
> --
> PJR
> slrn newsreader v0.9.9p1:http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
> extra slrn documentation:http://slrn-doc.sourceforge.net/
> newsgroup name validator:http://pjr.lasnobberia.net/usenet/validator

Thanks for your input. I am not in control of all this at al. But I
will pass your suggestions on.

....Lisa

hamiltoncruiser

On Oct 10, 5:14*pm, Peter J Ross <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > My friend is doing the church website and on his IE browser the top
> > banner looks OK, like this:

> > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
> > A great place to worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.

> > On my *FF browser it looks like this:

> > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
> > worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.

> > Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
> > know how to center it *for this post)

> > My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. *Can the code be written so
> > both IE and FF display it correctly?

> > The site ishttp://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html

> > ...Lisa

> Instead of this horrible mess:

> rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
> style="font-family: 'MS Serif', serif; font-size: xx-large;"><span
> style="color: rgb(0,51,204);">HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST</span>
> font-size: large;">A great place to worship and
> Old Face', serif; font-size: large; color: rgb(255,255,102);"> There s
>
> try something like this:
>
> <h1>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST<h1>
>
> You can add styles for formatting after correcting your markup to
> express the text's meaning clearly.
>
> There are plenty of other faults in your site, but I've confined
> myself to the fault that you asked about.
>
> For a new site, you should use HTML 4.01 Strict, not HTML 4.0
> Transitional.
>
> By the way, when I visited this page:
> <http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/html/sunday_sermons.html>
> music suddenly blared from my speakers. If you fix nothing else,
> please fix this. *Nobody* wants to hear sounds that they haven't
> specifically asked for.
>
> --
> PJR
> slrn newsreader v0.9.9p1:http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
> extra slrn documentation:http://slrn-doc.sourceforge.net/
> newsgroup name validator:http://pjr.lasnobberia.net/usenet/validator

Thanks for your input. I am not in control of all this at al. But I
will pass your suggestions on.

....Lisa

Peter J Ross

In alt.html on Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:14:42 +1100, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Peter J Ross <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:49:13 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > On my FF browser it looks like this:
>> >
>> > HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST A great place to
>> > worship and fellowship. There’s room for you too.
>> >
>> > Both lines are centered when looking at it in both browsers (I did not
>> > know how to center it for this post)
>> >
>> > My friend say it can't be fixed for FF. Can the code be written so
>> > both IE and FF display it correctly?
>> >
>> > The site is http://hamiltonchurchofchrist.net/index.html
>> >

>> Instead of this horrible mess:

>> rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
>> style="

> See as possible part explanation:

Yes, that's probably the source of the problem, but the problem can
still be fixed.

<snip>

I've snipped your amusing remarks about Christianity. As a rather
militant atheist I agree with them, but I don't think they're helpful
in alt.html.

--
PJR
slrn newsreader v0.9.9p1: http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
extra slrn documentation: http://slrn-doc.sourceforge.net/
newsgroup name validator: http://pjr.lasnobberia.net/usenet/validator

Peter J Ross

In alt.html on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:27:31 -0700 (PDT), hamiltoncruiser
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks for your input. I am not in control of all this at al. But I
> will pass your suggestions on.

Perhaps somebody who *is* in control of "all this" might be willing to
post here. The site isn't badly designed, but the HTML markup is
horrible.

--
PJR
slrn newsreader v0.9.9p1: http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
extra slrn documentation: http://slrn-doc.sourceforge.net/
newsgroup name validator: http://pjr.lasnobberia.net/usenet/validator

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peter J Ross <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In alt.html on Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:14:42 +1100, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Peter J Ross <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Instead of this horrible mess:

> >> rgb(204,153,102);"><span style="color: rgb(255,255,102);"><b><span
> >> style="

> > See as possible part explanation:

> Yes, that's probably the source of the problem, but the problem can
> still be fixed.
>
> <snip>
>
> I've snipped your amusing remarks about Christianity. As a rather
> militant atheist I agree with them, but I don't think they're helpful
> in alt.html.

Yes, I am sure you are right. I'm like a dog I know who is off
helplessly chasing when he sees a rabbit or a cat or a kangaroo even...
the poor thing looks quite miffed and puffed out when he is done, never
ever catching.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > <h1>HAMILTON CHURCH OF CHRIST<h1>
> >
> > You can add styles for formatting after correcting your markup to
> > express the text's meaning clearly.

> For example, you could, in this case
>
> h1 {text-align: center}
>
> btw, "fellowship", unlike "worship" does not have a noun form and so the
> sentence it is in looks bad to me.

Before being distracted, I had meant to go on and suggest PO's friend
could also set

text-align: center

for the Ps too, so that the text will naturally centre under the H1,
they being short. Remember that H and P are 100% width by default and it
is the text that gets centred here.

--
dorayme