Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > has server name changed?

has server name changed?

Geopelia

I'm getting the message "the host sendxtra.co.nz cannot be found" when I try
to send an email. I sent a test message to myself and got the same message.

I've had a look at tools - accounts -properties -servers and find the
default server is now sendxtra.co.nz. Outgoing mail (SMTP): sendxtra.co.nz

I haven't changed it. I think it was pop3 xtra before or something.

What is going on? Can I just delete "send" from the name of the server and
leave it just as xtra.co.nz?

It looks as though Yahoo has taken over.
tools -accounts - Internet accounts shows Yahoo!Xtra - phil... mail
(default). Can I delete that and type in xtra.co.nz (default) or something?

I've tried to send a test message to myself at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and get
the same message that the host sendxtra.co.nz cannot be found.

I've just sent myself a test message to nz.test through motzarella. That got
through.

I've tried to get Yahoo, but keep getting the message "You are not connected
to the internet" I AM connected to the internet!

I want to make xtra.co.nz the default as it always was. Or should it be POP
3?

Any ideas please?

Geopelia

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gcncvo$h20$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:

> I'm getting the message "the host sendxtra.co.nz cannot be found" when I
> try to send an email.

Missing a dot--I think that needs to be "send.xtra.co.nz".

Has your computer man been stuffing around again?

Geopelia

news:gcndgm$nil$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <gcncvo$h20$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> I'm getting the message "the host sendxtra.co.nz cannot be found" when I
>> try to send an email.

> Missing a dot--I think that needs to be "send.xtra.co.nz".
>
> Has your computer man been stuffing around again?

No, he would have no reason to change me to Yahoo.
I can't see a dot there, but it's hard to see. I could try both.

I just sent myself a test message. Error showed at lower right, and the
account in the Outbox showed as Yahoo!Xtra - phildoran.

I need to get back to xtra as the default. How do I do that please?

I've tried to get Yahoo but keep getting the message that I am not connected
to the internet. I am!

Geopelia

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:gcndgm$nil$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Missing a dot--I think that needs to be "send.xtra.co.nz".
>>>
>>> Has your computer man been stuffing around again?

>> No, he would have no reason to change me to Yahoo.
>> I can't see a dot there, but it's hard to see. I could try both.
>>
>> I just sent myself a test message. Error showed at lower right, and the
>> account in the Outbox showed as Yahoo!Xtra - phildoran.
>>
>> I need to get back to xtra as the default. How do I do that please?
>>
>> I've tried to get Yahoo but keep getting the message that I am not
>> connected to the internet. I am!

> "send" looks legit...
>
> this should work for you,
>
> so change your send to = smtp.xtra.co.nz

Do you mean in POP3 Properties - servers.
Outgoing mail (SMTP) box?

I've got pop3xtra.co.nz in there now. Should I change it to smtp.xtra.co.nz
please?

Geopelia

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gcooad$i4v$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:

> I've got pop3xtra.co.nz in there now.

Another missing dot. Has someone been stealing your dots?

Geopelia

news:gcpl0f$1at$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <gcooad$i4v$(E-Mail Removed)>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> I've got pop3xtra.co.nz in there now.

> Another missing dot. Has someone been stealing your dots?

I've recently changed to a flat screen and find it hard to see the dots.
Sometimes I can guess that one ought to be there.
These flat screens are good, but not as clear as the old monitors. / is
hard to see, too.\

Geopelia

We had a power cut and this may be posted twice.

"PeeCee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:gcp0ib$14vu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gcooad$i4v$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> "send" looks legit...
>>>
>>> this should work for you,
>>>
>>> so change your send to = smtp.xtra.co.nz
>>>

>> Do you mean in POP3 Properties - servers.
>> Outgoing mail (SMTP) box?
>>
>> I've got pop3xtra.co.nz in there now. Should I change it to
>> smtp.xtra.co.nz please?
>>
>> Geopelia
>>

> Geopelia
>
> Did you read my post below and follow the link to the settings for OE?

I don't understand settings. Is there anything in the Help menus that
explains exactly what to do please?

> On the Servers tab of your email accounts properties the first box
> (Incoming mail (POP3)) should be set to 'pop3.xtra.co.nz' and nothing
> else.
> The second box (Outgoing mail (SMTP)) can be one of two, either
> 'smtp.xtra.co.nz' or 'send.xtra.co.nz'
>
> 'send.xtra.co.nz' is the new Yahoo mail server and requires authentication
> to connect.
> 'smtp.xtra.co.nz' is the old Xtra mail server, it still works but doesn't
> use authentication.

What is authentication? My xtra password

> I refer you to the Telecom settings page for the detail as the two are set
> quite differently.
>
> If your email stopped after your computer man came then may I suggest he
> needs to come back and fix it.

No, it happened after I looked up something on Yahoo. I must have done
something stupid.
I can get him back if necessary to put things right.

> Best
> Paul.
>
> -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to
> (E-Mail Removed) --

Geopelia

(This reply has been hanging around in Drafts unable to go, sorry if it gets
posted twice. I think the problem is solved now and it will get through.)

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:gcndgm$nil$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Missing a dot--I think that needs to be "send.xtra.co.nz".
>>>
>>> Has your computer man been stuffing around again?

>> No, he would have no reason to change me to Yahoo.
>> I can't see a dot there, but it's hard to see. I could try both.
>>
>> I just sent myself a test message. Error showed at lower right, and the
>> account in the Outbox showed as Yahoo!Xtra - phildoran.
>>
>> I need to get back to xtra as the default. How do I do that please?
>>
>> I've tried to get Yahoo but keep getting the message that I am not
>> connected to the internet. I am!

> "send" looks legit...
>
> this should work for you,
>
> so change your send to = smtp.xtra.co.nz
>

> did some tests...
>
> thing@hermes:~$ host send.xtra.co.nz
> send.xtra.co.nz is an alias for send.tnz.yahoo.com.
> send.tnz.yahoo.com is an alias for smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com.
> smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com has address 124.108.96.68
> smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com mail is handled by 0 .
> thing@hermes:~$
>
> thing@hermes:~$ telnet send.xtra.co.nz 25
> Trying 124.108.96.68...
> Connected to smtp1.tnz.mail.vip.aue.yahoo.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 smtp103.tnz.mail.aue.yahoo.com ESMTP
> helo hermes
> 250 smtp103.tnz.mail.aue.yahoo.com
> quit
> 221 smtp103.tnz.mail.aue.yahoo.com
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> thing@hermes:~$
>
> looks fine....
>
> thing@hermes:~$ host smtp.xtra.co.nz
> smtp.xtra.co.nz has address 210.54.141.2
>
> I am not with extra so I cant check it myself
>
> It looks like its working,
>
> thing@hermes:~$ telnet smtp.xtra.co.nz 25
> Trying 210.54.141.2...
> Connected to smtp.xtra.co.nz.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 mta02.xtra.co.nz ESMTP server ready Sat, 11 Oct 2008 08:30:06 +1300
> helo hermes
> 250 mta02.xtra.co.nz
> quit
> 221 mta02.xtra.co.nz ESMTP server closing connection
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> thing@hermes:~$

Thank you. Unfortunately I don't understand much of that. I've just changed
the default back to Yahoo!Xtra-phildoran and a test message to myself has
been sent and appears in the sent items and Inbox.

So I suppose I'd better leave it as the default.

The computer man will know what your technical message means, I'll save your
message for him.

EMB

Geopelia wrote:
> I've recently changed to a flat screen and find it hard to see the dots.
> Sometimes I can guess that one ought to be there.
> These flat screens are good, but not as clear as the old monitors. / is
> hard to see, too.\

Flat screens are fuzzy unless they are run at their native resolution
(ie the way they were designed to be run). What model is your flat
screen and what resolution is it running at?

Geopelia

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:48f1074e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> I've recently changed to a flat screen and find it hard to see the dots.
>> Sometimes I can guess that one ought to be there.
>> These flat screens are good, but not as clear as the old monitors. / is
>> hard to see, too.\

> Flat screens are fuzzy unless they are run at their native resolution (ie
> the way they were designed to be run). What model is your flat screen and
> what resolution is it running at?

it's Philips ID 190B8CB/75

I wouldn't know what resolution it is, but the computer man set it up and
it's clear enough,
except for finding small dots. The dot and the comma look alike sometimes,
too.
I can see all the individual spots on the screen. (Pixels?)

When he comes out again I'll ask him to have a look at it.

How do I find the resolution if I need it, please?

Should there be anything to increase the type size on newsgroups? There is
for internet pages, low down on the right.

Thank you
Geopelia