Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: What is a Good Image program to backup this DELL Drive..

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: What is a Good Image program to backup this DELL Drive..

 
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2008
OZZY Boy wrote:
>
> I can Only backup to a external USB drive most DOS program do not work with my Hard Drive set up,
> as they are connected to a Raid.IDE controller.
>
>
> So I think it will need to do a Sector image backup..
>
>
> NOTE, the WD drive has NO sector errors..
>
>

Make a DOS boot disk with the appropriate drivers for your chipset and
then use Ghost.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2008
OZZY Boy wrote:
>
> The Drives work with DOS but not with most Utilities, Plus Only Windows drivers are available..


I'll be extremely surprised if DOS drivers aren't available. What is
the MB?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2008
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy wrote:

> Gigabyte (P4) with a ITE Raid (IT8712) IDE Controler chip, it also has
> a another Silicon Image SATA Raid controler, plus the Intel ICH5R SATA
> controler.


Probably worth a short with a Linux live CD
<http://hardware4linux.info/system/1207/>.
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2008
OZZY Boy wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:07:06 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> OZZY Boy wrote:
>>> The Drives work with DOS but not with most Utilities, Plus Only Windows drivers are available..

>> I'll be extremely surprised if DOS drivers aren't available. What is
>> the MB?

>
>
>
> Gigabyte (P4) with a ITE Raid (IT8712) IDE Controler chip, it also has a another Silicon Image
> SATA Raid controler, plus the Intel ICH5R SATA controler.


Ghost sees non-RAID drives on an ITE8712 controller just fine for me
(checked a few minutes ago). One of my colleagues says that UBCD4Win
also addresses the ITE chipset ok.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2008
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:56:46 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>>http://www.ubcd4win.com/

>
> Yes had a look at this a Bit old and to much over kill.
>
> I don't know if any of the Tools do a Disk Sector backup Image..


That's why you need a Linux CD <http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#advanced2>.
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2008
OZZY Boy wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:56:46 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> OZZY Boy wrote:
>>> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:07:06 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> OZZY Boy wrote:
>>>>> The Drives work with DOS but not with most Utilities, Plus Only Windows drivers are available..
>>>> I'll be extremely surprised if DOS drivers aren't available. What is
>>>> the MB?
>>>
>>>
>>> Gigabyte (P4) with a ITE Raid (IT8712) IDE Controler chip, it also has a another Silicon Image
>>> SATA Raid controler, plus the Intel ICH5R SATA controler.

>> Ghost sees non-RAID drives on an ITE8712 controller just fine for me
>> (checked a few minutes ago). One of my colleagues says that UBCD4Win
>> also addresses the ITE chipset ok.
>>
>> http://www.ubcd4win.com/

>
> Thanks.
>
> Yes had a look at this a Bit old and to much over kill.


It's age is pretty immaterial - NTFS hasn't changed noticeably since
Windows 2000.

>
> I don't know if any of the Tools do a Disk Sector backup Image..


It includes http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=22 which is
designed specifically to do a sector copy of a HDD.
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2008
OZZY Boy wrote:
>
> What version of Ghost was that, ?


8.2 (ie a corporate version) with all the updates from Symantec.

> I thought that the latest Ghost was a Windows only program..?


The latest consumer versions are shite.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2008
In message <48efb025$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:

> It's age is pretty immaterial - NTFS hasn't changed noticeably since
> Windows 2000.


Really? Quite a few different versions listed here
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Versions>.
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2008
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <48efb025$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:
>
>> It's age is pretty immaterial - NTFS hasn't changed noticeably since
>> Windows 2000.

>
> Really? Quite a few different versions listed here
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Versions>.


Your link supports my point perfectly. NTFS V3.0 was released with
Windows 2000 and was a major change from its predecessors. V3.1 was
released in 2001 and has remained unchanged to present day. From a file
recovery POV there is no real difference in the 3.x versions.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2008
In message <48efbe39$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <48efb025$(E-Mail Removed)>, EMB wrote:
>>
>>> It's age is pretty immaterial - NTFS hasn't changed noticeably since
>>> Windows 2000.

>>
>> Really? Quite a few different versions listed here
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Versions>.

>
> V3.1 was released in 2001 and has remained unchanged to present day.


If you read the article closely, it says the _version number_ hasn't
changed, but the features have.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac mini and Dell Inspiron 6000 connected to router; Mac can browse, Dell can't Adam Computer Support 3 11-21-2005 10:52 AM
Dell Inspiron 600m & Dell recovery CD ? Chris NZ Computing 10 07-07-2004 11:37 AM
You have to buy Dell memory from Dell? Devin Stoick Computer Support 6 05-27-2004 09:50 PM
Image Bank for Ghost Image Backup of new notebook? Teffy Digital Photography 2 12-18-2003 07:06 PM
Need a good Backup to DVD program jtw Computer Support 4 09-23-2003 11:42 PM



Advertisments