Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File sharing between XP and Vista

File sharing between XP and Vista

mjt

I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running Vista
Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am unclear
about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec
Firewall protection.

Eric Cross

Hello, If you haven't already I suggest you review this TechNet article.

Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"mjt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running Vista
> Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am unclear
> about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec
> Firewall protection.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Maybe this can Help, How I set my software Firewall to allow free traffic
between my Network’s computers.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
In general.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"mjt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running Vista
> Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am unclear
> about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec
> Firewall protection.

mjt

Thanks Eric, I am one step closer to accomplishing this. I am able to view
by Desktop files from my Laptop, but I still have to get it where I can view
my laptop files from my desktop. I ran out of time last night so I will pick
it back up over the weekend and see if I can set that up, if I have more
troubles I will be in touch.

Myra(mjt)

"Eric Cross" wrote:

> Hello, If you haven't already I suggest you review this TechNet article.

> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "mjt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a HP desktop running XP Home and I have a Dell laptop running Vista
> > Home. I am having difficulty setting up my file sharing. I am unclear
> > about the Firewall port changing in Windows Firewall. I run Symantec
> > Firewall protection.

mjt

Thanks Jack, I am one step closer to accomplishing this. I am able to view