Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't get rid of desktop icons

Can't get rid of desktop icons

Martin @nohere.net

Hi
using win xp
My friend was using "Magix Photos on CD & DVD" to create commentaries
on a slide show and each commentary has ended up on his desktop.

Now he can't get rid of these icons

He did go into the registry through H- key_Local_Machine and
H-Key_Current_User to his desk top icons, deleted the icon streams and
altered the binary codes but they seem to regenerate themselves.
His desktop is a mess of icons.

Would anyone know how to fix this please?
--
Martin

joevan

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:34:20 +0100, Martin @nohere.net wrote:

>Can't get rid of desktop icons

Try this. Maybe just restarting in safe mode might do the trick but
just in case get process explorer and find out what is going on.

Martin @nohere.net

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 09:47:08 -0400, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:34:20 +0100, Martin @nohere.net wrote:
>
>>Can't get rid of desktop icons

>Try this. Maybe just restarting in safe mode might do the trick but
>just in case get process explorer and find out what is going on.
>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

Thanks joevam I'll pass it on
--
Martin

Evan Platt

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:34:20 +0100, Martin @nohere.net wrote:

>Hi
>using win xp
>My friend was using "Magix Photos on CD & DVD" to create commentaries
>on a slide show and each commentary has ended up on his desktop.
>
>Now he can't get rid of these icons
>
>He did go into the registry through H- key_Local_Machine and
>H-Key_Current_User to his desk top icons, deleted the icon streams and
>altered the binary codes but they seem to regenerate themselves.
>His desktop is a mess of icons.
>
>Would anyone know how to fix this please?

Has he tried uninstalling the Magix Photos software?

chuckcar

Martin @nohere.net wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi
> using win xp
> My friend was using "Magix Photos on CD & DVD" to create commentaries
> on a slide show and each commentary has ended up on his desktop.
>
> Now he can't get rid of these icons
>
> He did go into the registry through H- key_Local_Machine

That's one of the *major* branches of the registry. A *bit* more detail
would be required to have *any* idea of what was done.

> and H-Key_Current_User to his desk top icons,

Same thing. There's only 6 and you mention 2 of them.

> deleted the icon streams and altered the binary codes but they seem to
> regenerate themselves.

Huh? once more with meaning please. Detail might help too.

> His desktop is a mess of icons.
>
> Would anyone know how to fix this please?

Without knowing *what* he did or seeing a picture of it, a fix might be
dangerous. As an example, you *can* export the start menu to the desktop
and removing it will remove the menu itself leaving only the part that
appears directly above "start".

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Martin @nohere.net

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 07:54:10 -0700, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:34:20 +0100, Martin @nohere.net wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>using win xp
>>My friend was using "Magix Photos on CD & DVD" to create commentaries
>>on a slide show and each commentary has ended up on his desktop.
>>
>>Now he can't get rid of these icons
>>
>>He did go into the registry through H- key_Local_Machine and
>>H-Key_Current_User to his desk top icons, deleted the icon streams and
>>altered the binary codes but they seem to regenerate themselves.
>>His desktop is a mess of icons.
>>
>>Would anyone know how to fix this please?

>Has he tried uninstalling the Magix Photos software?

yes, software uninstalled
--
Martin

Martin @nohere.net

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:58:38 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Without knowing *what* he did or seeing a picture of it, a fix might be
>dangerous. As an example, you *can* export the start menu to the desktop
>and removing it will remove the menu itself leaving only the part that
>appears directly above "start".

I don't know all the details. only what he has told me via e-mail
I'll ask for more details
--
Martin

Evan Platt

wrote:

>That's one of the *major* branches of the registry. A *bit* more detail
>would be required to have *any* idea of what was done.

As opposed to the minor branches of the registry? Those are actually
the root of the registry.

>Same thing. There's only 6 and you mention 2 of them.

Funny, I have 5.

chuckcar

Martin @nohere.net wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:58:38 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Without knowing *what* he did or seeing a picture of it, a fix might be
>>dangerous. As an example, you *can* export the start menu to the desktop
>>and removing it will remove the menu itself leaving only the part that
>>appears directly above "start".

> I don't know all the details. only what he has told me via e-mail
> I'll ask for more details

Here's a novel idea: have *him* post here.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Andy Petro

Move it to the recycle bin.