Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux use stagnates again

Linux use stagnates again

Will Spencer

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 00:25:44 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer wrote:
>
>>In message <gck5p0$pp7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> In message <48ed7845$(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:
>>>
>>> Even registering 2% desktops is pretty good IMHO...
>>>
>>> Could see more in future. The UK reported PC sales channel market share

> of
>>> 2.8% in June
>>>

> <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,
>>> showing a growing trend since the beginning of the year.
>>>
>>> Seems to have benefited from the introduction of Vista.

>> "Linux use growing"
>>
>> How many decades have they been saying that now? I guess the growth rate
>> must be 0.00000001% or some ****. Lol.

> Well, Lol, if you read the article I referenced, Lol, you'll see, Lol, that
> Linux market share increased by 28 times since the introduction of Vista,
> Lol.

28 times? Heard it all before over the years and decades. 30 times, 10
times, 50 times, 60 times. The fact is, you talk a load of complete ****
buddy. Linux is a piece of crap that you give away for free and still
nobody uses it. Lol, loser.

-ws

Will Spencer

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 06:31:51 +1300, thingy wrote:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>> of
>>>>

>> <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,

>>> "Linux use growing"
>>>
>>> How many decades have they been saying that now? I guess the growth rate
>>> must be 0.00000001% or some ****. Lol.

>> Well, Lol, if you read the article I referenced, Lol, you'll see, Lol, that
>> Linux market share increased by 28 times since the introduction of Vista,
>> Lol.

> dont confuse him with Maths or logic....he is obviously a very
> challenged person...
>
> regards
>
> Thing

I guess you enjoy the fantasy would you live in where Linux is always
growing and the latest Windows release is always declining. I guess that's
why you call yourself "Thing", ay? Too bad the thing is a piece of dog
turd.

-ws

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <vauoceukojy7.81j02e1qr9yi$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 00:25:44 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer
>> wrote:

>> of

<http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,

>>> "Linux use growing"
>>>
>>> How many decades have they been saying that now? I guess the growth rate
>>> must be 0.00000001% or some ****. Lol.

>> Well, Lol, if you read the article I referenced, Lol, you'll see, Lol,
>> that Linux market share increased by 28 times since the introduction of
>> Vista, Lol.

> 28 times? Heard it all before over the years and decades ...

Really?? When did you hear of such an increase in Linux market share before?

Will Spencer

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:34:36 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <vauoceukojy7.81j02e1qr9yi$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 00:25:44 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> of
>>>>>

> <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent>,

>>> Well, Lol, if you read the article I referenced, Lol, you'll see, Lol,
>>> that Linux market share increased by 28 times since the introduction of
>>> Vista, Lol.

>> 28 times? Heard it all before over the years and decades ...

> Really?? When did you hear of such an increase in Linux market share before?

Every year since it came out.

-ws

impossible

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48ee3fb2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In message <48ed8c92$(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy wrote:
>>
>>> 2% from negligable is still a good % expansion....it also depends on
>>> where or what sites they measured off...if it was MSN or hotmail I'd
>>> expect a biased result, if it was google then closer to the "truth".
>>>
>>> Whats also interesting was 14% for Mac Os up from 4% (I think it was)
>>> for many years.

>> Which shows just how wildly out the figures are. Even in the US, Apple's
>> market share is only up to 8%, slightly over 3% worldwide.
>>
>> Here's another measure of Linux market penetration: it seems you can't
>> pick
>> up any computer magazine these days, without seeing pages and pages
>> devoted
>> to Linux--much more so than for Macs. This is no momentary fad, it seems
>> have been growing for the last five years or so.
>>
>> Now, those magazines are in the business to make money, so clearly their
>> readership is welcoming that coverage, otherwise they would have dropped
>> it. Taking things in proportion, then Linux penetration among readers of
>> computer magazines must be at least 10%.

> I think the underlying trend for MS is bad....for youngsters it used to be
> cool to run the latest MS OS....these days only the computer illiterate
> think its cool, the geeks have moved on....

What trend?! There's no evidence that use of Linux is growing at all --
quite the opposite.

> A recent article expected Linux's server deployment to stay stable through
> this recession or even improve its certainly proving the case with
> us....before the $s were tight MS was the easy choice....now our Linux
> site licence means un-limited Red Hat which just decimates Windows due to
> its per server or per cpu costs...

You've been declaring Windows to be "decimated" for 10 years.

impossible

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> impossible wrote:
>

>> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> How are these stats arrived at?
>>>
>>> I've installed Linux on numerous computers and I've never told anyone
>>> about
>>> it - so how do they know?
>>> --

>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

> That's a count of people who visit particular sites with a browser that
> reports their OS, and it makes the assumption that the user agent provided
> by the browser is accurate. I have a couple of Linux installations that I
> never use a browser on. They are not counted.
> --

w3counter provides an **estimate** of usage, not a census. You're welcome to
finance a box-by-box census if you like that would include your 2 Linux
machines. But be careful what you wish for -- you'd also have to count the
millions of non-Linux machines that are busy running something besides a
browser, and so the result is unlikely to be flattering to you. If anything
a net-based usage tracker is probably **over-estimating** Linux usage,
because -- after all, browsing is the main thing that Linux desktop boxes
are used for.

impossible

"Jekyll and Hyde" <jekyll&(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> One year ago, Linux use finally climbed ahead of Win98 use at 1.37%. Then
>> by February of 2008, Linux use reached the 2 % mark, with everyone
>> expecting it to soon outstrip the venerable Win2k. Alas, in just 8 short
>> months, the growth of Vista use (+90%) seems to have throttled the Linux
>> bandwagon. Linux use rermains stuck at 1.99% -- meanwhile Max OS X has
>> climbed 14%. What a shame!

> Where are those figures from?

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

And these estimates are close enough to confirm.

> Windows XP 71.83%
> Vista 15.56%
> MacIntel 4.98%
> Mac OS 2.74%
> Windows 2000 2.22%
> Linux 0.75%
>
> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/repo...me=Y&qpsp=2008
>
> Of course due to the data collection these number represent "desktop"
> users only.

Yes. Here's a report on web-server market share:

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...er_survey.html

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <pe9n26x93ps4.1qtdiuuha26v3$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:34:36 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message <vauoceukojy7.81j02e1qr9yi$(E-Mail Removed)>, Will Spencer
>> wrote:

>>> 28 times? Heard it all before over the years and decades ...

>> Really?? When did you hear of such an increase in Linux market share
>> before?

> Every year since it came out.

Preinstallations through sales channels? Cite?

impossible

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> impossible wrote:
>
>> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> That's a count of people who visit particular sites with a browser that
>>> reports their OS, and it makes the assumption that the user agent
>>> provided by the browser is accurate. I have a couple of Linux
>>> installations that I never use a browser on. They are not counted.
>>> --

>> w3counter provides an **estimate** of usage, not a census. You're welcome
>> to finance a box-by-box census if you like that would include your 2
>> Linux
>> machines. But be careful what you wish for -- you'd also have to count
>> the
>> millions of non-Linux machines that are busy running something besides a
>> browser, and so the result is unlikely to be flattering to you.

> Flattering to me? I couldn't care less what OS's people use - I'm
> pro-choice.

Then why does the evidence about what people actually choose bother you so
much?

>> If
>> anything a net-based usage tracker is probably **over-estimating** Linux
>> usage,
>> because -- after all, browsing is the main thing that Linux desktop
>> boxes
>> are used for.

> I don't see how you come to that conclusion.
> --

What is it that you doubt? That Linux desktop boxes are primarily used for
browsing? That Windows desktop boxes spend a proportionately much greater
time doing other productive work for which their desktop applications were
designed?

impossible

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> impossible wrote:
>
>> "Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> Flattering to me? I couldn't care less what OS's people use - I'm
>>> pro-choice.
>>>

>> Then why does the evidence about what people actually choose bother you
>> so
>> much?

> It doesn't. Not one single bit. What bothers me is people outright lying
> when they say that the tools that I use - that I make a living off - are
> not suited for normal everyday use. Here's a fact: they are perfectly
> suited for everyday use for me, and also for others.

For you maybe -- not for everyone, as the evidence clearly shows. Linux use
is stagnating because few of the desktops applications that users wabt to
run will run on Linux.
..

>>> I don't see how you come to that conclusion.

>> What is it that you doubt? That Linux desktop boxes are primarily used
>> for
>> browsing? That Windows desktop boxes spend a proportionately much greater
>> time doing other productive work for which their desktop applications
>> were
>> designed?

> I'm calling you on your assertion that "after all, browing is the main
> thing
> that Linux desktop boxes are used for". How do you come to that
> conclusion?
> --

Lack of any other useful desktop applications.