Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Too many fonts???

Re: Too many fonts???

Lindsay

"nutzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>A couple of years ago I received a pop up saying I had too many fonts (over
>500, which is suppose to be the maximum number allowed on an XP machine) on
>my computer and that it could cause things to display incorrectly. Although
>I wasn't having any problems that I was aware of, I removed quite a number
>of them and all was well until the other day the same thing happened while
>I was working in an MS Works spreadsheet. This time I was experiencing a
>problem with a grayed out area appearing where the curser location was
>supposed to be displayed. I again removed a couple of hundred fonts and the
>problem was corrected. However, this action produced another problem.
>Whenever I went to a different web page I kept getting a pop up telling me
>to insert disk one to install MS Greetings as a font was missing. To make a
>very long story short, I ended up reinstalling MS Greetings and, so far,
>all appears to be OK.
>
> My question is: Does anyone know if there is anyway I can replace all the
> fonts I have removed without running into these problems again?
>
> Nutzel

I don't know how to get your fonts back. But if you need to get rid of more
fonts, I think you could make a special folder called something like "Extra
Fonts"
in your C drive, and move the unwanted fonts to that, without deleting from
the computer. Then, if you needed a font that you had moved, you could go to
the "Extra Fonts" and reinstall in C/Windows/Fonts.

thanatoid

"nutzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

>> I don't know how to get your fonts back. But if you need
>> to get rid of more fonts, I think you could make a special
>> folder called something like "Extra Fonts"
>> in your C drive, and move the unwanted fonts to that,
>> without deleting from
>> the computer. Then, if you needed a font that you had
>> moved, you could go to
>> the "Extra Fonts" and reinstall in C/Windows/Fonts.
>>

> Thanks. That's what I've done.

Using a free font manager is a LOT easier and faster and lets
you preview fonts, group them by family, choose to load JUST the
ones you will need this time, etc. etc.

Not that I don't firmly believe in understanding how files and
directories work or anything

--
Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
votes decide everything.

thanatoid

"nutzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

<SNIP>

> OK --- Sounds good. Where do I get a free font manager?

From my 1st reply to you:

"The program I use is free from www.moonsoftware.com but there
are dozens of others."

Since, sadly, it appears necessary, here is the specific link:
http://www.moonsoftware.com/fxplorer.asp

Their "shell tools" program (also free) appears to contain just
the font loader (and some other useful stuff). The full Font
Explorer is a font management toolbox.

There are dozens or hundreds of other font managers, some free,
some not, some big, some small... Etc.

Google.