Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: DEL Hard Drive

Re: DEL Hard Drive

Jekyll and Hyde

"OZZY Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> 80Gig WD hard drive removed from a DELL PC running XP Pro.
>
> Was told that it crashed, I don't have a monitor to use with the DELL
> PC..
>
> But if I plug the HD into my PC its show up in Disk Manager as a 31MB FAT
> EISA and a separate 74.xx
> GB with a Drive letter, but it list as not being formatted and has no FAT
> listed..
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Customer want me to recover some DATA but I see none..

Download or buy this...

Top 5 Data Recovery Apps All-in-One (5-in-1) (Google it).

And use "Easy Recovery" to copy the files to another drive.
Under no circumstances write anything to the drive you are recovering until
you have confirmed you have recovered all the "lost" files onto the other
drive.

Then attempt the FAT recovery procedures in Easy Recovery to see if is just
damaged FAT causing the problems.

J&H.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jekyll and Hyde wrote:

> Under no circumstances write anything to the drive you are recovering ...

Mounting it read-only is absolutely essential.

Jekyll and Hyde

"OZZY Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 19:45:31 +1300, "Jekyll and Hyde"
> <jekyll&(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"OZZY Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>

>>> 80Gig WD hard drive removed from a DELL PC running XP Pro.
>>>
>>> Was told that it crashed, I don't have a monitor to use with the DELL
>>> PC..
>>>
>>> But if I plug the HD into my PC its show up in Disk Manager as a 31MB
>>> FAT
>>> EISA and a separate 74.xx
>>> GB with a Drive letter, but it list as not being formatted and has no
>>> FAT
>>> listed..
>>>
>>> Is this normal?
>>>
>>> Customer want me to recover some DATA but I see none..

>>Download or buy this...
>>
>>Top 5 Data Recovery Apps All-in-One (5-in-1) (Google it).
>>
>>And use "Easy Recovery" to copy the files to another drive.
>>Under no circumstances write anything to the drive you are recovering
>>until
>>you have confirmed you have recovered all the "lost" files onto the other
>>drive.
>>
>>Then attempt the FAT recovery procedures in Easy Recovery to see if is
>>just
>>damaged FAT causing the problems.
>>
>>J&H.
>>

> There are No files or even a FAT..?

It may appear that way, (if track 0 is overwritten for example).
You need to scan the drive with a recovery utility to confirm that.
Even if the drive has been formatted Easy Recovery can restore the files.

J&H.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy wrote:

> There are No files or even a FAT..?

Have you made an image copy of the drive, or are you still stuffing around
with the original?

EMB

OZZY Boy wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:11:02 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy wrote:
>>
>>> There are No files or even a FAT..?

>> Have you made an image copy of the drive, or are you still stuffing around
>> with the original?

> Sorry I do not have a spare drives that is big enough..
>
> Sorry I do have some 177GB on my USB drive.
>

> And No I am not stuffing up the drive I do have some sense and have been in the Computer industry
> for some 30 years or more..
>
> I think the only Image software I have is Ghost, but have only used to copy from one drive to
> another, and yes from memory did do some Image files of a few hard drives, but they had files and
> were fully working FAT32 Drives..
>

> I guess I need to do a Sector backup of the total drive but First I need to scan the drive for
> Sector errors, not that easy in DOS as it connected to a IDE Controller..
>
> And I don't think XP allows to do access the drive as sector level..?

IIRC Ghost has a switch to skip unreadable sectors when doing a sector
copy of a drive.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, OZZY Boy wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:11:02 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>
>>Have you made an image copy of the drive, or are you still stuffing around
>>with the original?

> Sorry I do not have a spare drives that is big enough..
>
> Sorry I do have some 177GB on my USB drive.

750GB drives are only a couple of hundred dollars now. How much is your
customer's data worth?

> And No I am not stuffing up the drive I do have some sense and have been
> in the Computer industry for some 30 years or more..

If you really have had that much experience with situations where you could
end up compounding the loss of data like this, then you would already have
been doing what I advised you to do, instead of continuing to insist that
you know better.

EMB

OZZY Boy wrote:

> Plus I think DELL has a boot up utile that could fix it, but I need a screen to do that..

Why won't your existing monitor work with the Dell?

Richard

OZZY Boy wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:16:16 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> OZZY Boy wrote:
>>> Plus I think DELL has a boot up utile that could fix it, but I need a screen to do that..

>> Why won't your existing monitor work with the Dell?

> Yes but I also need my computer conected to the Net, does not work with out a Monitor..

Perhaps you should get yourself a kvm switch if 2 monitors is such a
problem for you?