Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Quicktime starting very slowly

Quicktime starting very slowly

Michael

Hi,
I have two HP Pavilion PCs, one running Vista32 and the other one running
Vista64. On Vista32, Quicktime Player is starting in about 7 seconds, the
same procedure takes up to one minute when starting on Vista64.
Is there any known issue, any remedy that could help? I tried switching off
Prefetch, I deactivated Aero, but no success.
Using Quicktime Alternative is not an option because I need QT installed for
another application.

TIA,
Michael

Carlos

Michael:
Check event viewer and see what clues you can find there from the moment you
click on the Quicktime Player until it starts.
I agree that Quicktime Alternative by itself is not an option if you need
the player but, if you install Media Player Classic + Quicktime Alternative
combo and make it the default player for Quicktime files that might be a
workaround.
Carlos

"Michael" wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two HP Pavilion PCs, one running Vista32 and the other one running
> Vista64. On Vista32, Quicktime Player is starting in about 7 seconds, the
> same procedure takes up to one minute when starting on Vista64.
> Is there any known issue, any remedy that could help? I tried switching off
> Prefetch, I deactivated Aero, but no success.
> Using Quicktime Alternative is not an option because I need QT installed for
> another application.
>
> TIA,
> Michael

Michael

Thanks for answering.
I can't find a clue there what is braking QT.
Quicktime Alternative doesn't want to install unless I uninstall QT itself.
But a 3D gfx app I use (Cinema4D) relies on a complete QT installation to
support several image and animation formats, so I need QT installed.

Michael

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael:
> Check event viewer and see what clues you can find there from the moment
> you
> click on the Quicktime Player until it starts.
> I agree that Quicktime Alternative by itself is not an option if you need
> the player but, if you install Media Player Classic + Quicktime
> Alternative
> combo and make it the default player for Quicktime files that might be a
> workaround.
> Carlos

Carlos

Michael,
What about memory usage when you launch QT?
Do you have enough free memory or is your Vista x64 swapping code to the HD
before running QT?
Do you notice heavy disk usage during the wait time?
Has QT any option for checking updates on the Internet every time it is
launched?
Carlos

"Michael" wrote:

> Thanks for answering.
> I can't find a clue there what is braking QT.
> Quicktime Alternative doesn't want to install unless I uninstall QT itself.
> But a 3D gfx app I use (Cinema4D) relies on a complete QT installation to
> support several image and animation formats, so I need QT installed.
>
> Michael
>

> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Michael:
> > Check event viewer and see what clues you can find there from the moment
> > you
> > click on the Quicktime Player until it starts.
> > I agree that Quicktime Alternative by itself is not an option if you need
> > the player but, if you install Media Player Classic + Quicktime
> > Alternative
> > combo and make it the default player for Quicktime files that might be a
> > workaround.
> > Carlos

Michael

The PC has 4GB and Taskmanager says that more than 1GB are unused when
starting QT.
I don't notice increased HD activity, CPU usage is at 25% at the most (so I
assume QT only uses 1 core). Some moments during startup CPU usage goes down
lower than 5% for a few seconds.
I disabled checking for updates with no faster startup time.
Thanks for your time,
Michael

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael,
> What about memory usage when you launch QT?
> Do you have enough free memory or is your Vista x64 swapping code to the
> HD
> before running QT?
> Do you notice heavy disk usage during the wait time?
> Has QT any option for checking updates on the Internet every time it is
> launched?
> Carlos

Carlos

Michael,
A shot in the dark.
I use Media Player Classic as my main player.
Sometimes, when starting it, it pauses for... 5 seconds.
Somehow it is accessing the NAS disk (hard disk connected to the router) and
until I hear a click coming from the drive it just sits there.
Five seconds is not that much so I can live with it.
Will something similar be happening to you?
Carlos

"Michael" wrote:

> The PC has 4GB and Taskmanager says that more than 1GB are unused when
> starting QT.
> I don't notice increased HD activity, CPU usage is at 25% at the most (so I
> assume QT only uses 1 core). Some moments during startup CPU usage goes down
> lower than 5% for a few seconds.
> I disabled checking for updates with no faster startup time.
> Thanks for your time,
> Michael
>

> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Michael,
> > What about memory usage when you launch QT?
> > Do you have enough free memory or is your Vista x64 swapping code to the
> > HD
> > before running QT?
> > Do you notice heavy disk usage during the wait time?
> > Has QT any option for checking updates on the Internet every time it is
> > launched?
> > Carlos

Michael

There is no NAS drive in this system but yes, there could be something QT is
waiting for that makes the delay in the start. That would explain the
repeated pausing. I should find out now what it could be.

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael,
> A shot in the dark.
> I use Media Player Classic as my main player.
> Sometimes, when starting it, it pauses for... 5 seconds.
> Somehow it is accessing the NAS disk (hard disk connected to the router)
> and
> until I hear a click coming from the drive it just sits there.
> Five seconds is not that much so I can live with it.
> Will something similar be happening to you?
> Carlos

Michael

Still no success. Killed all processes and as muh as I could.
I guess I will have to go back to XP x64.