Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Need help with float

Need help with float

Helpful person

I am building web site at www.snowfisher.com
It displays as I wish in IE7. However, with Firefox the floats do not
display as I expect. Can someone help please?

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am building web site at www.snowfisher.com
> It displays as I wish in IE7. However, with Firefox the floats do not
> display as I expect. Can someone help please?

What do you expect? Yes, they are a bit tricky! <g>

You might find helpful:

<http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

As for what you might do with your site, a quick look suggests maybe
take a look at removing the float on the content altogether, don't
"position" it. And instead pad the right of

..mymenu {
padding: 0 20px 0 0;

so it gives some grace to the content as it sits next to the float
before it wraps...

Everything depends on what you want exactly. But just making these two
changes makes it look ok in FF.

--
dorayme

Helpful person

On Oct 6, 11:30*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> *Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com
> > It displays as I wish in IE7. *However, with Firefox the floats do not
> > display as I expect. *Can someone help please?

> What do you expect? Yes, they are a bit tricky! <g>
>
> You might find helpful:
>
> <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>
>
> As for what you might do with your site, a quick look suggests maybe
> take a look at removing the float on the content altogether, don't
> "position" it. And instead pad the right of
>
> .mymenu {
> padding: 0 20px 0 0;
>
> so it gives some grace to the content as it sits next to the float
> before it wraps...
>
> Everything depends on what you want exactly. But just making these two
> changes makes it look ok in FF.
>
> --
> dorayme

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. What you say makes a lot of sense. I
realize floats are tricky (I'v been trying to make sense of the CSS
standard) and would like to know why mine doesn't work. However,
that's secondary to getting it to look OK.

Helpful person

On Oct 6, 11:35*pm, Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Oct 6, 11:30*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > *Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com
> > > It displays as I wish in IE7. *However, with Firefox the floats do not
> > > display as I expect. *Can someone help please?

> > What do you expect? Yes, they are a bit tricky! <g>

> > You might find helpful:

> > <http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/>

> > As for what you might do with your site, a quick look suggests maybe
> > take a look at removing the float on the content altogether, don't
> > "position" it. And instead pad the right of

> > .mymenu {
> > padding: 0 20px 0 0;

> > so it gives some grace to the content as it sits next to the float
> > before it wraps...

> > Everything depends on what you want exactly. But just making these two
> > changes makes it look ok in FF.

> > --
> > dorayme

> Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. *What you say makes a lot of sense. *I
> realize floats are tricky (I'v been trying to make sense of the CSS
> standard) and would like to know why mine doesn't work. *However,
> that's secondary to getting it to look OK.- Hide quoted text -

By the way, is there a better way to write what I call the Footer?
(For my phone numberws etc.) I'm using an unordered list which is
easy to format but doesn't really seem like the correct method.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Oct 6, 11:35*pm, Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Oct 6, 11:30*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Everything depends on what you want exactly. But just making these two
> > > changes makes it look ok in FF.

> > > --
> > > dorayme

> > Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. *What you say makes a lot of sense. *I
> > realize floats are tricky (I'v been trying to make sense of the CSS
> > standard) and would like to know why mine doesn't work. *However,
> > that's secondary to getting it to look OK.- Hide quoted text -

> By the way, is there a better way to write what I call the Footer?
> (For my phone numberws etc.) I'm using an unordered list which is
> easy to format but doesn't really seem like the correct method.

Consider not putting this in a footer at all. And certainly not so many
ULs... It is important contact information. Perhaps you could better
make it shorter and sweeter, one simple inline UL list, with a link to
contact info page where folk can read it at nice fatter font size.

Or you could just put in email link and phone numbers in footer. One
simple list, inline (ask if you are not sure what this is), just a
couple of numbers and a one word link like "contact" that takes you to a
proper page with all your details laid out nicely. Use left or right or
both left and right borders as separators but there are all sorts of
choices...

Here is a ul that is inline (it is a page navigator but never mind
that...). See the bottom of...

<http://netweaver.com.au/floatHouse/page4.html>

You can adapt to a "normal" footer...

--
dorayme

Bergamot

Helpful person wrote:
> I am building web site at www.snowfisher.com
> It displays as I wish in IE7. However, with Firefox the floats do not
> display as I expect.

#MainContent {
float: right;
margin-left: 0.5em;
}

You have not set a width so it's defaulting to "auto". In this
particular case, auto=100%, or at least it should.

I suggest not floating it at all. Just set a left margin wide enough to
clear the left-floated navigation and it will take whatever available
space is left.

--
Berg

Helpful person

On Oct 7, 10:58*am, Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2008-10-07, Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Helpful person wrote:
> >> I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com
> >> It displays as I wish in IE7. *However, with Firefox the floats do not
> >> display as I expect.

> > #MainContent {
> > float: right;
> > margin-left: 0.5em;
> > }

> > You have not set a width so it's defaulting to "auto". In this
> > particular case, auto=100%, or at least it should.

> Just to clarify that: it gets the shrink-to-fit width, which in this
> case is the available width since the float's contents' preferred
> maximum width is greater than what's available.
>
> That doesn't actually sound much clearer.

No it doesn't! However, I get the point.

Helpful person

On Oct 6, 11:01*pm, Helpful person <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com
> It displays as I wish in IE7. *However, with Firefox the floats do not
> display as I expect. *Can someone help please?

Thanks everyone. All problems (so far) fixed.

Ari Heino

Helpful person kirjoitti seuraavasti:
>> I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com

> Thanks everyone. All problems (so far) fixed.

OT: Consider making the navigation without images. All you have can be
done with text and some bordering.

--
Ari
http://users.utu.fi/athein/

Helpful person

On Oct 8, 12:50*pm, Ari Heino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Helpful person kirjoitti seuraavasti:
>
> >> I am building web site atwww.snowfisher.com

> > Thanks everyone. *All problems (so far) fixed.

> OT: Consider making the navigation without images. All you have can be
> done with text and some bordering.
>
> --
> Arihttp://users.utu.fi/athein/

True, except there is little overhead for the small GIFs and it gives
me versatility. In the future, when I have more time I can fancy
things up a little.