Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPS WiFi w. Vista on Intel 4965AGN

WPS WiFi w. Vista on Intel 4965AGN

dbird

I am trying to connect my Dell 1720 w. Vista Home to a Wireless-N router
using WiFi Protected Setup aka WPS.

The adapter is an Intel 4965AGN which, according to the Intel website is
certified for WPS.

I can connect to the router with no security using the 1720/4965AGN. I
have already configured another computer to connect to the router
successfully with WPS.

Here's the problem:

When I try to modify the Wireless Network properties of the 1720/4965AGN
connection in the security tab from open to WPS, there are _no_ WPS
options in the selection list. There are only the open, shared,
WPA2-Personal/Enterprise, WPA-Personal/Enterprise, 802.1x, and Intel -
Open w 802.1x/WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise.

Yes, I know that I could do the workaround using WPA whatever, but being
WPS certified, there should be no need for that. Dell tech support is
useless even though I have the 24/7 support. They want me to pay $ for
an "advanced software problem", which I will not do of course.

Can anyone please shed some insight on this? Does the list of properties
somehow come from the router making this a compatibility issue maybe of
N versions?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Barb Bowman

WPS would not show up in the security tab. that is not how it works.
what router are you using? are you using a push button
implementation, WPS/WCN over a wired connection or wireless
connection? Describe the steps you are taking.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

smlunatick

On Oct 7, 3:09*am, dbird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying to connect my Dell 1720 w. Vista Home to a Wireless-N router
> using WiFi Protected Setup aka WPS.
>
> The adapter is an Intel 4965AGN which, according to the Intel website is
> certified for WPS.
>
> I can connect to the router with no security using the 1720/4965AGN. I
> have already configured another computer to connect to the router
> successfully with WPS.
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> When I try to modify the Wireless Network properties of the 1720/4965AGN
> connection in the security tab from open to WPS, there are _no_ WPS
> options in the selection list. There are only the open, shared,
> WPA2-Personal/Enterprise, WPA-Personal/Enterprise, 802.1x, and Intel -
> Open w 802.1x/WPA-Enterprise/WPA2-Enterprise.
>
> Yes, I know that I could do the workaround using WPA whatever, but being
> WPS certified, there should be no need for that. Dell tech support is
> useless even though I have the 24/7 support. They want me to pay $ for
> an "advanced software problem", which I will not do of course.
>
> Can anyone please shed some insight on this? Does the list of properties
> somehow come from the router making this a compatibility issue maybe of
> N versions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave

WPS seesm to only really work if you are using the adapter's enhanced
management system -- Intel PROset. I only seen WPS with this and it
does not seem to be available with Wireless Zero Configuration.

dbird

Thanks Barb for the reply.

I'm using an Airlink model AR680W. I've set up the other laptop using
both the button and the PIN method with WPS. Works on that one both
ways, but of course both the adapter and the router in that case are
Airlink. The connection is set up via wireless. I'm trying to set up the
1720/4965AGN via wireless also.

When attempting the setup with the 1720/4965AGN/wireless I have tried
two methods. Modifying the properties of the connection in the security
tab, and setting up a manual connection and selecting the type of
connection there; amounts to the same thing in that the same menu of
security types come up both ways.

Incidentally, the router is already configured to enable WPS, and there
is a button to add a wireless device. But the procedure always is
supposed to begin with the adapter. At least according to everything I
have always read. The router button to add is supposed to be pressed
after initiating the request for a new connection type from the adapter,
and you go from there. The whole procedure with Airlink on both ends
runs like this:

1. Adapter: press WPS connect.
2. Adapter: Choose PIN or Push Button method. From here I describe PIN.
3. Adapter: Copy down PIN issued by adapter.
4. Router: Press Add Wireless Device button.
5. Router: Enter PIN copied from adapter, press connect
6. Router/Adapter: Acknowledgment of WPS connection on both adapter and
router.

Thanks again,

Dave

Barb Bowman wrote:
> WPS would not show up in the security tab. that is not how it works.
> what router are you using? are you using a push button
> implementation, WPS/WCN over a wired connection or wireless
> connection? Describe the steps you are taking.
>
> On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 19:09:56 -0700, dbird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to connect my Dell 1720 w. Vista Home to a Wireless-N router
>> using WiFi Protected Setup aka WPS.
>>
>> The adapter is an Intel 4965AGN which, according to the Intel website is
>> certified for WPS.
>> snip

dbird

Where/how do I get into Intel PROset within Vista?

Don't think I'm using WZO since I have suppressed broadcast of the SSID.
I had/have to do the initial setup/connect manually.

Thanks for the reply,

Dave

On Oct 7, 3:05*pm, dbird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Where/how do I get into Intel PROset within Vista?
>
> Don't think I'm using WZO since I have suppressed broadcast of the SSID.
> I had/have to do the initial setup/connect manually.
>
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> Dave
>

> smlunatick wrote:
> > On Oct 7, 3:09 am, dbird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I am trying to connect my Dell 1720 w. Vista Home to a Wireless-N router
> >> using WiFi Protected Setup aka WPS.

> >> The adapter is an Intel 4965AGN which, according to the Intel website is
> >> certified for WPS.
> >> snip

> > WPS seesm to only really work if you are using the adapter's enhanced
> > management system -- Intel PROset. *I only seen WPS with this and it
> > does not seem to be available with Wireless Zero Configuration.- Hide quoted text -

From Intel or your laptop's manufacturer's web site. I just set up 2
laptops with the 4965AGN onto two routers with WPS system. These are
using the WZC and does not have WPS settings inside the Windows.
Then, a third laptop came to the office and it was using the Intel
PROset management software. In trying to test this laptop, on one of
the WPS enabled routers, the Intel PROset was requesting the WPS
code. As soon as the code was entered, the complete Wireless WPA2 key
was copied directly into the settings.

Barb Bowman

so, WCN over wireless (part of WPS) requires Vista SP1 and a hotfix
which vendors are distributing and AFAIK, not MS. QFE942567

HP has it posted for some of their systems. Here is one (64 bit)
that HP has up:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3752245

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

dbird

Thanks for the digging. I followed this into MS. Looks like it's
official that it's available _only_ through the system vendors.
Evidently there are 32 as well as 64 bit versions from MS.

Dave

Barb Bowman wrote:
> so, WCN over wireless (part of WPS) requires Vista SP1 and a hotfix
> which vendors are distributing and AFAIK, not MS. QFE942567
>
> HP has it posted for some of their systems. Here is one (64 bit)
> that HP has up:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...roduct=3752245
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:59:07 -0700, dbird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Barb for the reply.
>>
>> I'm using an Airlink model AR680W. I've set up the other laptop using
>> both the button and the PIN method with WPS. Works on that one both
>> ways, but of course both the adapter and the router in that case are
>> Airlink. The connection is set up via wireless. I'm trying to set up the
>> 1720/4965AGN via wireless also.
>>
>> When attempting the setup with the 1720/4965AGN/wireless I have tried
>> two methods. Modifying the properties of the connection in the security
>> tab, and setting up a manual connection and selecting the type of
>> connection there; amounts to the same thing in that the same menu of
>> security types come up both ways.
>>
>> Incidentally, the router is already configured to enable WPS, and there
>> is a button to add a wireless device. But the procedure always is
>> supposed to begin with the adapter. At least according to everything I
>> have always read. The router button to add is supposed to be pressed
>> after initiating the request for a new connection type from the adapter,
>> and you go from there. The whole procedure with Airlink on both ends
>> runs like this:
>>
>> 1. Adapter: press WPS connect.
>> 2. Adapter: Choose PIN or Push Button method. From here I describe PIN.
>> 3. Adapter: Copy down PIN issued by adapter.
>> 4. Router: Press Add Wireless Device button.
>> 5. Router: Enter PIN copied from adapter, press connect
>> 6. Router/Adapter: Acknowledgment of WPS connection on both adapter and
>> router.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> Barb Bowman wrote:
>>> WPS would not show up in the security tab. that is not how it works.
>>> what router are you using? are you using a push button
>>> implementation, WPS/WCN over a wired connection or wireless
>>> connection? Describe the steps you are taking.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

dbird

Below:

smlunatick wrote:
> On Oct 7, 3:05 pm, dbird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Where/how do I get into Intel PROset within Vista?
>>
>> Don't think I'm using WZO since I have suppressed broadcast of the SSID.
>> I had/have to do the initial setup/connect manually.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply,
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> smlunatick wrote:
>>> snip

> From Intel or your laptop's manufacturer's web site. I just set up 2
> laptops with the 4965AGN onto two routers with WPS system. These are
> using the WZC and does not have WPS settings inside the Windows.
> Then, a third laptop came to the office and it was using the Intel
> PROset management software. In trying to test this laptop, on one of
> the WPS enabled routers, the Intel PROset was requesting the WPS
> code. As soon as the code was entered, the complete Wireless WPA2 key
> was copied directly into the settings.

Found it on the Dell site finally. It's an "optional" download. I
installed it, but there doesn't seem to be any difference in response
that I can tell. (version 11.something)

Re your experience with the WPS enabled router/Proset s/w. Did you
enter the PIN code from the router into the system with the adapter?
(Router PIN code usually found on the back of the router or in the
router management s/w.) I don't think my Airlink router has any way to
do that. It's always looking for a PIN/code from the adapter. I tried
the router PIN in the third field in the security properties, didn't
make any difference, still no connection.

I looked for a PIN code in the properties of my adapter. Nothing obvious
there either by name or by bit count. Haven't looked on the adapter card
yet.

Thanks,

Dave

Barb Bowman

the bits inside the 942567 hotfix should not be vendor specific,
although a wrapper around them may be. HP has the 32 bit version
posted as well.