Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 bid novice

64 bid novice

ted

I have just got interested in 64 bit operating system. So I understand that
you need a 64 bit OS. However, does the motherboard & other hardware need to
be 64 bit specific? TIA

--
_______________________________
In Christ's matchless name

philo

"ted" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just got interested in 64 bit operating system. So I understand

that
> you need a 64 bit OS. However, does the motherboard & other hardware need

> be 64 bit specific? TIA

To run a 64bit operating system, Yes the motherboard and CPU need to be 64
bit...
Most any new mobo made within the last few years will probably be 64 bit.

A 64bit mobo/cpu can of course still run a 32bit OS just fine.

Though in general the same hardware that works on a 32bit system, will also
work on a 64bit system...
the real question is if the manufacturer has written the drivers
specifically needed for 64 bit.
So be sure to check to see if drivers are available before purchasing the
hardware.

I'm sure that most new hardware out there will have 64bit support. but be
sure to check first.

Finally...have a look at the software you plan to use...
there *might* be compatibility issues...but thus far I've not run into any