Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WTF is wrong with Xnet lately?

WTF is wrong with Xnet lately?

Gordon

On 2008-10-08, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>>
>> Well - I now know what's wrong -
>> <http://www.xnet.co.nz/cgi-bin/status.cgi?id=406> - and after 48 hours
>> it's STILL not fixed *grinds teeth*
>>
>> Apparently a very small number of people at my ISP have had certain
>> types of upstream traffic reduced to nearly nothing. It's quite weird,
>> but real.
>>
>> It's led to some _really_ strange things happening over the past couple
>> days. Stuff like a website working in only one browser, only some emails
>> sending successfully - all of which made me suspect my own setup or that
>> of the services I was communicating with. Don't ask me how it manages
>> that *shakes head* If someone can explain - I'd love to hear Clearly
>> Xnet still has no clue

> On a brighter note, heresay from a reliable source tells me that Xnet
> have provisioned more international bandwidth and the problems I
> referred to earlier are expected to be much reduced. That certainly
> seemed to be the case last night/early this morning.

Hey Xnet, good you read this ng.

People here want gold, and are often prepared to pay for it

EMB

Gordon wrote:
> CHURN, sorry for shouting. This is the weapon we consumers have,fire it
> often.
>
> Get a domain name and then your e-mail address is yours and you can take it
> where you like, and the senders will never know. The sooner you do this the
> better. ( Disclaimer, I have no $ interest in the companies who offer web
> hosting/domain names. ) Hey another thought, get a web mail address from
> Yahoo, gmail etc and no $ are involved, with all the power of churning.
>
> So, ****ed off with your ISP? Churn. I stick with someone until they **** me
> off, then I am off to the competition. When the ISPs understand that a new
> customer might just churn at the drop of a hat we will have, lets offer
> great service to keep them, rather than lets get as many people signed up as
> possible, for they will saty with us.

One more bit of legislation is needed to make the ISP market work
properly - there should be no minimum term you have to spend with any
ISP. That way if they don't live up to expectations the customer can
churn away immediately with no financial penalty. The gaining ISP
should also have to wear the churn fee - it would provide an incentive
for them not to over-promise their services.

Stephen Worthington

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 19:17:32 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gordon wrote:
>> CHURN, sorry for shouting. This is the weapon we consumers have,fire it
>> often.
>>
>> Get a domain name and then your e-mail address is yours and you can take it
>> where you like, and the senders will never know. The sooner you do this the
>> better. ( Disclaimer, I have no $ interest in the companies who offer web
>> hosting/domain names. ) Hey another thought, get a web mail address from
>> Yahoo, gmail etc and no $ are involved, with all the power of churning.
>>
>> So, ****ed off with your ISP? Churn. I stick with someone until they **** me
>> off, then I am off to the competition. When the ISPs understand that a new
>> customer might just churn at the drop of a hat we will have, lets offer
>> great service to keep them, rather than lets get as many people signed up as
>> possible, for they will saty with us.
>>

>One more bit of legislation is needed to make the ISP market work
>properly - there should be no minimum term you have to spend with any
>ISP. That way if they don't live up to expectations the customer can
>churn away immediately with no financial penalty. The gaining ISP
>should also have to wear the churn fee - it would provide an incentive
>for them not to over-promise their services.

If the ISP you are leaving has failed to live up to their promises,
then you are likely entitled to leave without any penalty, due to them
having broken their contract with you. Of course, sensible ISPs do
not actually promise much. They hint at things, but will not actually
promise anything substantial.

Jasen Betts

On 2008-10-07, ~misfit~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "EMB" typed:
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm really pleased that your advice (to me) to use Xnet came just
>>> after I'd signed up with Actrix. Actrix have been essentially
>>> trouble-free and very transparent when there has been the odd minor
>>> glitch.

>> They have been bloody good until recently, and are still better than
>> ihug were before I bailed to Xnet. I think the problems are likely to
>> be resolved shortly. At a guess Xnet will raise their data prices
>> enough to make the high-usage clients move elsewhere at which stage
>> good international connectivity will return. Right now I'm not overly
>> worried about really fast international connectivity as I have access
>> to a 10Mb/s connection (that runs full speed outside working hours)
>> where I am working.

> Hopefully Xnet get it together soon then.

that had atlease acknoledged a number of problems last night when I
went to their site with news-server issues

(it feels like data-dependant corruption.)

> I know it's OT for this group but, while I've got you (so to speak) what do
> you recommend for 'killing' rust in a car? I have an area I want to
> wire-brush, treat then paint over to try to slow down or stop it spreading.

phosphoric acid is usually reccomended (a major ingredient of coca-cola)

penetrol rust control (a different sort of product) works extremely well.
australian export fishoilene works fairly well too.

--

Bye.
Jasen

Squiggle

~misfit~ wrote:
> Hopefully Xnet get it together soon then.
>
> I know it's OT for this group but, while I've got you (so to speak) what do
> you recommend for 'killing' rust in a car? I have an area I want to
> wire-brush, treat then paint over to try to slow down or stop it spreading.
>
> Cheers,

I've heard nothing but praise for POR15.
http://www.por15.co.nz/POR15Prod/starterkit.htm

Jamie Kahn Genet

EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> >
> > Well - I now know what's wrong -
> > <http://www.xnet.co.nz/cgi-bin/status.cgi?id=406> - and after 48 hours
> > it's STILL not fixed *grinds teeth*
> >
> > Apparently a very small number of people at my ISP have had certain
> > types of upstream traffic reduced to nearly nothing. It's quite weird,
> > but real.
> >
> > It's led to some _really_ strange things happening over the past couple
> > days. Stuff like a website working in only one browser, only some emails
> > sending successfully - all of which made me suspect my own setup or that
> > of the services I was communicating with. Don't ask me how it manages
> > that *shakes head* If someone can explain - I'd love to hear Clearly
> > Xnet still has no clue

> On a brighter note, heresay from a reliable source tells me that Xnet
> have provisioned more international bandwidth and the problems I
> referred to earlier are expected to be much reduced. That certainly
> seemed to be the case last night/early this morning.

Well, I've just been blocked from the Geekzone forums for calling a jerk
a jerk in the Xnet forum (at least I assume that's why). But that's not
the issue - what has me ammused is they say use their contact form if
you believe this is in error (using the word jerk got me banned? You bet
I want to query that). But naturally their contact form is borked and
won't allow contact if you've been banned. Yet if you've been banned
they say to use their... well, anyway.

Suffice to say if that's how well run their site is I'm better off
without them. I swear - does any company do ANY testing on their
website?

Wtf? do orcons new plans suck arse or am I reading them wrong? Bobs NZ Computing 13 03-14-2008 10:42 AM
xtra to Xnet Gilbert Lynds NZ Computing 15 05-04-2006 03:34 AM
WTF is wrong with MSN, hotmail TRees Computer Support 1 03-31-2006 01:55 AM
xnet dot NZ Computing 0 12-09-2005 09:30 PM
wtf am I doing wrong? Joe Van Meer ASP .Net 2 05-06-2004 08:51 PM

Advertisments