Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > DWL-G650 operation with (and without) WPA2

DWL-G650 operation with (and without) WPA2

Fred Marshall

I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.

Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another, less
secure site?
That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
while at some vanilla wireless LAN.

Thanks,

Fred

Carl DaVault [MSFT]

In Windows, you can configure each SSID (each network) with different
encryption settings.

As long as the other networks have a different SSID, you should be fine.

If you don't use Windows to configure your settings, any other configuration
would be dependent on the software that came with the card.

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
news:eB$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
> laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
> I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.
>
> Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another, less
> secure site?
> That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
> I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
> while at some vanilla wireless LAN.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred

Mike Bernstein

I would be interested to know if you have found WPA2 capable drivers for the
G650.

Mike Bernstein

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
news:eB$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
> laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
> I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.
>
> Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another, less
> secure site?
> That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
> I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
> while at some vanilla wireless LAN.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred

Fred Marshall

Mike,

Not yet. I'm in the middle of that right now. It may be that the G650 was
the wrong choice. In researching the D-Link website I don't see that the
G650 supports it. I may need a different model like the DWL-G680.

Carl,

OK - that makes sense. Thanks!

Fred

"Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would be interested to know if you have found WPA2 capable drivers for
>the
> G650.
>
> Mike Bernstein
>
> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
> news:eB$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
>> laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
>> I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.
>>
>> Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another, less
>> secure site?
>> That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
>> I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
>> while at some vanilla wireless LAN.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Fred

Carl DaVault [MSFT]

By the way, there is a new Cable Guy article on WPA2.

The download isn't live yet though.

Note: you must have WPA2-capable drivers to use WPA2!!!

Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly
to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike,
>
> Not yet. I'm in the middle of that right now. It may be that the G650
> was the wrong choice. In researching the D-Link website I don't see that
> the G650 supports it. I may need a different model like the DWL-G680.
>
> Carl,
>
> OK - that makes sense. Thanks!
>
> Fred
>
> "Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would be interested to know if you have found WPA2 capable drivers for
>>the
>> G650.
>>
>> Mike Bernstein
>>
>> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>> news:eB$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
>>> laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
>>> I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another,
>>> less
>>> secure site?
>>> That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
>>> I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
>>> while at some vanilla wireless LAN.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Fred

Mike Bernstein

According to the WiFi Alliance list, the D-Link G650 is WPA2 certified. I
guess it is just updated drivers we need.

http://www.weca.net/OpenSection/Cert...ucts.asp?TID=2

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike,
>
> Not yet. I'm in the middle of that right now. It may be that the G650
> was the wrong choice. In researching the D-Link website I don't see that
> the G650 supports it. I may need a different model like the DWL-G680.
>
> Carl,
>
> OK - that makes sense. Thanks!
>
> Fred
>
> "Mike Bernstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would be interested to know if you have found WPA2 capable drivers for
>>the
>> G650.
>>
>> Mike Bernstein
>>
>> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>> news:eB$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
>>> laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
>>> I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another,
>>> less
>>> secure site?
>>> That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
>>> I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
>>> while at some vanilla wireless LAN.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Fred

Fred Marshall

I now understand the driver will be available in a month's time. I'm not
planning on it necessarily.