Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > gif creator

gif creator

ccdetail@gmail.com

has anyone written a gif creator program purely in python that doesn't
require PIL or tons of other claptrap?

the GIF89a format is pretty straightforward and C is not required to
create these files.

i didn't want to have to upgrade to a newer release of python, install
a huge bunch of stuff or compile
anything. and i don't care about other formats or animation or
whatever. black and white is ok.

i just want to be able to create a gif that's 100x40 (or whatever) and
pass in an array saying
which pixels are black or white.

sounds pretty simple doesn' t it?

Steve Holden

> has anyone written a gif creator program purely in python that doesn't
> require PIL or tons of other claptrap?
>
> the GIF89a format is pretty straightforward and C is not required to
> create these files.
>
> i didn't want to have to upgrade to a newer release of python, install
> a huge bunch of stuff or compile
> anything. and i don't care about other formats or animation or
> whatever. black and white is ok.
>
> i just want to be able to create a gif that's 100x40 (or whatever) and
> pass in an array saying
> which pixels are black or white.
>
> sounds pretty simple doesn' t it?

It doesn't sound anywhere near as simple as downloading and installing
PIL then using that. Claptrap is in the eye of the beholder. There are
many pitfalls awaiting the programmer who decides to write something to
do such a "simple" task ...

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

Miki

> i didn't want to have to upgrade to a newer release of python, install
> a huge bunch of stuff or compile
> anything. *and i don't care about other formats or animation or
> whatever. *black and white is ok.

One option is to install ImageMagick and use subprocess.Popen to
communicate with it. This will work even when you upgrade Python.

HTH,
--
Miki <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://pythonwise.blogspot.com

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> has anyone written a gif creator program purely in python that doesn't
> require PIL or tons of other claptrap?

It's so much easier to just go into Synaptic (or whatever your package
manager is) and check a few boxes to install all the necessary "claptrap",
than it is to try to reinvent large chunks of it yourself.

Peter Pearson

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:18:14 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> has anyone written a gif creator program purely in python that doesn't
> require PIL or tons of other claptrap?

If you would be interested in an old and simpleminded Python
program for manipulating PNM files, contact me by email.
The comments include these lines:

# Usage:
# import pnm
# f = pnm.InputFile( "blooey.ppm" )