Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Web video problems

Web video problems

Gib Bogle

Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume.
Consequently I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This
happens about half the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is
with Ihug/Vodaphone.

I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

Gib Bogle

P.S. The Vodaphone speed test consistently gives about 2200 kbps
download speed. How good/bad is this?

Dave Doe

In article <gcchut$aik$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
> my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
> frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
> download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume.
> Consequently I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This
> happens about half the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is
> with Ihug/Vodaphone.
>
> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
> holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
> Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
> middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

A packet sniffer like Wireshark should tell you whether data is still
trying to come in.

http://www.wireshark.org/

--
Duncan

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <gcchut$aik$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:

> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
> holdup.

Always helps to check out different things, to isolate the common factor.
Have you tried using youtube-dl to download the problem videos? If that
works, then your problem is browser-plugin-specific. If it hangs too, then
it's lower down.

Gib Bogle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <gcchut$aik$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:
>
>> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
>> holdup.

> Always helps to check out different things, to isolate the common factor.
> Have you tried using youtube-dl to download the problem videos? If that
> works, then your problem is browser-plugin-specific. If it hangs too, then
> it's lower down.

Good advice. I didn't know about youtube-dl, will try it.

See my post below.

Gib Bogle

Gib Bogle wrote:
> Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
> my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
> frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
> download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume. Consequently
> I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This happens about half
> the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is with Ihug/Vodaphone.
>
> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
> holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
> Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
> middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

I've just found that when I play a video clip on MSNBC (e.g. this one:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_132456.html
) the playing takes 100% of my 1.8 GHz P4 cpu. This seems crazy. I'm
talking about playing part of the video that has already been
downloaded. When the player catches up to the buffer I get a jerky
playback, a few seconds of playing then a longer period waiting for data
to download. This is the latest Flash player for Mozilla - pathetic!
Normally I expect video playback to take a few % of cpu. Something is
badly wrong somewhere.

Gordon

On 2008-10-07, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gib Bogle wrote:
>> Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
>> my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
>> frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
>> download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume. Consequently
>> I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This happens about half
>> the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is with Ihug/Vodaphone.
>>
>> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
>> holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
>> Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
>> middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

> I've just found that when I play a video clip on MSNBC (e.g. this one:
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_132456.html
> ) the playing takes 100% of my 1.8 GHz P4 cpu. This seems crazy. I'm
> talking about playing part of the video that has already been
> downloaded. When the player catches up to the buffer I get a jerky
> playback, a few seconds of playing then a longer period waiting for data
> to download. This is the latest Flash player for Mozilla - pathetic!
> Normally I expect video playback to take a few % of cpu. Something is
> badly wrong somewhere.

Indeed. You need to find what other processes are consuming your CPU. Find
it and kill it. This is

Craig Sutton

"Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gcgq42$qm2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gib Bogle wrote:
>> Gib Bogle wrote:
>>> Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
>>> my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
>>> frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
>>> download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume. Consequently
>>> I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This happens about half
>>> the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is with Ihug/Vodaphone.
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
>>> holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
>>> Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
>>> middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

>> I've just found that when I play a video clip on MSNBC (e.g. this one:
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_132456.html )
>> the playing takes 100% of my 1.8 GHz P4 cpu. This seems crazy. I'm
>> talking about playing part of the video that has already been downloaded.
>> When the player catches up to the buffer I get a jerky playback, a few
>> seconds of playing then a longer period waiting for data to download.
>> This is the latest Flash player for Mozilla - pathetic! Normally I expect
>> video playback to take a few % of cpu. Something is badly wrong
>> somewhere.

> Interestingly I can play this clip with IE - just. It takes about 90% of
> the CPU, but does play without stops. Apparently the IE version of Flash
> is a bit more efficient than the Firefox version, but even 90% of CPU
> seems over the top to me for a video that is only about 4"x3".

X2 4200 41 processes running Cpu usage flicking between 2% and 10%

Gib Bogle

Gordon wrote:
> On 2008-10-07, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Gib Bogle wrote:
>>> Here's one for the experts. I have a 2 GHz P4 running Windows 2K, and
>>> my browser is Firefox 3.0.3. I have a common problem that occurs
>>> frequently with almost any source of video content, e.g. Youtube. The
>>> download proceeds for a while, then stops, never to resume. Consequently
>>> I get to see/hear only a fraction of the clip. This happens about half
>>> the time, and is extremely annoying. My account is with Ihug/Vodaphone.
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
>>> holdup. What can stop a video downloading? When it's stopped in
>>> Youtube, for example, the little ring of dots continues to rotate in the
>>> middle of the image, but the modem shows no activity. Please help!

>> I've just found that when I play a video clip on MSNBC (e.g. this one:
>> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_132456.html
>> ) the playing takes 100% of my 1.8 GHz P4 cpu. This seems crazy. I'm
>> talking about playing part of the video that has already been
>> downloaded. When the player catches up to the buffer I get a jerky
>> playback, a few seconds of playing then a longer period waiting for data
>> to download. This is the latest Flash player for Mozilla - pathetic!
>> Normally I expect video playback to take a few % of cpu. Something is
>> badly wrong somewhere.

> Indeed. You need to find what other processes are consuming your CPU. Find
> it and kill it. This is

Task Manager shows Firefox using all the CPU.