Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Web video problems

Web video problems

Gib Bogle

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <gcchut$aik$(E-Mail Removed)>, Gib Bogle wrote:
>
>> I haven't been able to determine which link in the chain is causing the
>> holdup.

> Always helps to check out different things, to isolate the common factor.
> Have you tried using youtube-dl to download the problem videos? If that
> works, then your problem is browser-plugin-specific. If it hangs too, then
> it's lower down.

Hi Lawrence,

Since this machine runs Windows (no Python installed) I installed a
different youtube downloader. It turns out to be almost impossible to
download a complete youtube video. I think this means the problem is
with my Vodafone connection. The DSL speed tester shows 2200 kbs
download rate from the Vodafone server, but apparently there are
intermittent delays (lost packets?) that cause the youtube connection to
be broken. Is it worth complaining to Vodafone? I suspect not.