Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months

Re: It just won’t die: Windows XP gets another six months

Geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Geopelia" typed:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:48ed342b$(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
>>> I just did too and found the reference of which you speak, "Essays on
>>> Husbandry" By Walter Harte. It was written in 1770! It seems that
>>> the word Geoponics has since exited the English laguage.

>> Yet we still have hydroponics.
>> Yes, one of those old books where s looks like f.
>> There are still a lot of those in private English libraries.

> I have a hand-written book that reads like a thesis (on the use of the
> globes, terrestrial and celestial) that my grandmother gave me that has
> the esses written like effs. It is dated 1794 I think, from memory. I
> haven't looked at it lately, it semms to deteriorate every time I open it
> so have pretty much left it alone.
>
> Not that I have a private English library. However my fraternal
> grandmother did. Shame that my mother and father divorced when I was a
> nipper and the relationship with grandma slowly dwindled after that.
>
>>> I wondered what your nick meant but never got as far as finding out.
>>>

>> It's a genus of small doves. The best known are Geopelia cuneata, the
>> diamond dove, and Geopelia striata, the zebra dove.
>> They spend a lot of time on the ground, hence the Geo part.
>> I like them, great little birds.

> Well, the only one I know is a wonderful bird.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Shaun.

Thanks!!

People should be careful with those old books. Handling them is safe, but
they shouldn't lick them. The covers are cured with doggy doos!
The "pure finders" used to collect it for the book binders.

I expect you know "London Labour and the London Poor" by Mayhew. That
describes it, if anyone here doesn't believe me.

Geopelia

Geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Geopelia" typed:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org...
>>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Geopelia" typed:

>>> I have a hand-written book that reads like a thesis (on the use of
>>> the globes, terrestrial and celestial) that my grandmother gave me
>>> that has the esses written like effs. It is dated 1794 I think, from
>>> memory. I haven't looked at it lately, it semms to deteriorate every
>>> time I open it so have pretty much left it alone.
>>>
>>> Not that I have a private English library. However my fraternal
>>> grandmother did. Shame that my mother and father divorced when I was
>>> a nipper and the relationship with grandma slowly dwindled after
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Well, the only one I know is a wonderful bird.
>>>

>> Thanks!!
>>
>> People should be careful with those old books. Handling them is
>> safe, but they shouldn't lick them.

> I almost never lick mine. <g>
>
>> The covers are cured with doggy
>> doos! The "pure finders" used to collect it for the book binders.
>>
>> I expect you know "London Labour and the London Poor" by Mayhew. That
>> describes it, if anyone here doesn't believe me.

> I've heard of it before, it's fascinating how uses were found for just
> about everything one could imagine. However my book is more of an
> "excercise book", soft cover, sort of thing rather than a leather-bound
> book.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Shaun.

Yes, "dust mounds" seem to have been valuable in Dickens' time.
But I suppose they were like our inorganic collection.

Geopelia

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Gordon" typed:
>>
>> My task is remove the ough group of letters from the English words,
>> for the sound they make in words is incosistant

>You and the Americans. I guess that betwen you you'll get thru it.

Sometimes, and apprently purely by accident, the americans get things right.
Spelling is one of those times.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
>Trans, means to shift yes? Transport being one. Port being the place ships
>came to, and left from.

... more like 'across' IIRC. <checks quickly> ... first and pretty much only
non chemical entry ...

Latin: ‘across, beyond, crossing, on the other side’

Geopelia

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
in message news:gcu0d3$331$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Gordon" typed:
>>>
>>> My task is remove the ough group of letters from the English words,
>>> for the sound they make in words is incosistant

>>You and the Americans. I guess that betwen you you'll get thru it.

> Sometimes, and apprently purely by accident, the americans get things
> right.
> Spelling is one of those times.

It's tough to cough under a rough bough though, even with enough dough.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <gcueec$np1$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
>in message news:gcu0d3$331$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org>, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Gordon" typed:

>>>You and the Americans. I guess that betwen you you'll get thru it.

>> Sometimes, and apprently purely by accident, the americans get things
>> right.
>> Spelling is one of those times.
>>

>It's tough to cough under a rough bough though, even with enough dough.

<Burns voice> Exxcellent !

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:14:08 +1300, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:gcueec$np1$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> "Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote
> in message news:gcu0d3$331$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-privat.org>, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Gordon" typed:

>>>You and the Americans. I guess that betwen you you'll get thru it.

>> Sometimes, and apprently purely by accident, the americans get things
>> right.
>> Spelling is one of those times.
>>

> It's tough to cough under a rough bough though, even with enough dough.

One ought not to be thoroughly thoughtless, though, even at the trough.

--
- Nic.

Geopelia

"Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:18b6r4v25vmj4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:14:08 +1300, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in <news:gcueec$np1$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> "Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) >
>> wrote
>> in message news:gcu0d3$331$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Sometimes, and apprently purely by accident, the americans get things
>>> right.
>>> Spelling is one of those times.
>>>

>> It's tough to cough under a rough bough though, even with enough dough.

> One ought not to be thoroughly thoughtless, though, even at the trough.
>
> --
> - Nic.

All through the night!

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:22:21 +1300, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in <news:gd1vdg$n2k$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> "Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:18b6r4v25vmj4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:14:08 +1300, Geopelia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> in <news:gcueec$np1$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>
>>> "Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) >
>>> wrote
>>> in message news:gcu0d3$331$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It's tough to cough under a rough bough though, even with enough dough.

>> One ought not to be thoroughly thoughtless, though, even at the trough.
>>
>> --
>> - Nic.

> All through the night!

What can I say?