Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > windows bootup password?

windows bootup password?

Perry Noid

just got a call from one of my customers... he can't get into his laptop
because his son changed the password and doesn't remember it now. I get one
or two calls like this each year from friends and it's usually easier to
just rebuild their drive, since it's usually loaded with "junk" anyway. In
this case, that's not a good option, so I'd like to find something simple
and cheap that will let me either recover or change the password. Maybe
something that runs from a bootable CD or even a floppy disk? Any
suggestions?

parrot33 at hotmail dot com

Todd H.

"Perry Noid" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> just got a call from one of my customers... he can't get into his laptop
> because his son changed the password and doesn't remember it now. I get one
> or two calls like this each year from friends and it's usually easier to
> just rebuild their drive, since it's usually loaded with "junk" anyway. In
> this case, that's not a good option, so I'd like to find something simple
> and cheap that will let me either recover or change the password. Maybe
> something that runs from a bootable CD or even a floppy disk? Any
> suggestions?
>
> parrot33 at hotmail dot com

If it's teh windows password (and not a BIOS boot password), a
bootable linux disk with ntpasswd on it works a treat. Allows you to
change the administrator password of a Windows machine.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Perry Noid

Thanks! I found ntpasswd, downloaded versions for making a bootable CD and
floppy diskette. I tried the floppy version on my own computer, and it seems
to work, so I'll probably make the CD to use on his laptop (who has floppy
drives anymore?)... or perhaps I can get away with using a USB floppy
drive... have to see. But again, thanks!

Todd H.

"Perry Noid" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Thanks! I found ntpasswd, downloaded versions for making a bootable CD and
> floppy diskette. I tried the floppy version on my own computer, and it seems
> to work, so I'll probably make the CD to use on his laptop (who has floppy
> drives anymore?)... or perhaps I can get away with using a USB floppy
> drive... have to see. But again, thanks!

Glad to help.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Jim Watt

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 12:26:08 -0500, "Perry Noid" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>just got a call from one of my customers... he can't get into his laptop
>because his son changed the password and doesn't remember it now. I get one
>or two calls like this each year from friends and it's usually easier to
>just rebuild their drive, since it's usually loaded with "junk" anyway. In
>this case, that's not a good option, so I'd like to find something simple
>and cheap that will let me either recover or change the password. Maybe
>something that runs from a bootable CD or even a floppy disk? Any
>suggestions?
>
>parrot33 at hotmail dot com

For xp boot into safe mode and log in as administrator
most of the time there is no password set.

If its the BIOS password that is set, clearing it is non-trivial
with laptops and you need to consult the manufacturer.

If its a hard disk password which prevents booting you have
big problems.

Its trivial to make a CD which boots linux and allows resetting
windows passwords, providing you get to the point of booting and
the security has not been hardened.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

What slows Win2k bootup, how can bootup be made faster? Rolf Computer Support 5 05-29-2007 08:11 AM
Slow Bootup Scott Wireless Networking 5 08-18-2005 07:26 PM
help windows 98 bootup problems steve Computer Support 6 02-18-2005 11:19 PM
Slow bootup =?Utf-8?B?SmltIEI=?= Wireless Networking 0 01-29-2005 08:17 AM
Re: Windows 98 bootup problem Dave2 Computer Support 1 12-15-2003 11:47 PM

Advertisments