Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Program Name in TITLE BAR

Program Name in TITLE BAR

Jeff Strickland

I find that I have a program installed (my wife has it, actually) and the
name that comes up has an extra character that should not be there.

How do I edit the contents of the TITLE BAR?

Travis

On Oct 5, 9:02*am, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I find that I have a program installed (my wife has it, actually) and the
> name that comes up has an extra character that should not be there.
>
> How do I edit the contents of the TITLE BAR?

explain more please, is this a program that you wrote? your question
is a little vague, but you can't really edit a program that you dont'
have the source to in the title bar.. it's a bug or glitch in their
program, try emailing them,

of course, if you want, you can try using a freeware program
ResourceHacker (aka reshack) and edit the title bar if possible in
it.. but it's more advanced and you could screw your program up if you
do something wrong

is one extra character really that bad? >_>

Jeff Strickland

"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Oct 5, 9:02 am, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I find that I have a program installed (my wife has it, actually) and the
> name that comes up has an extra character that should not be there.
>
> How do I edit the contents of the TITLE BAR?

explain more please, is this a program that you wrote?

<JS>
No. It is a downloaded program. I have the same on my computer, but my
wife's computer has the problem.

</JS>

your question
is a little vague, but you can't really edit a program that you dont'
have the source to in the title bar.. it's a bug or glitch in their
program, try emailing them,

<JS>
Well, I have the same program on multiple machines, and only one gives this
extra character.

</JS>

of course, if you want, you can try using a freeware program
ResourceHacker (aka reshack) and edit the title bar if possible in
it.. but it's more advanced and you could screw your program up if you
do something wrong

is one extra character really that bad? >_>

<JS>
No, not really bad. I just remember in Windows 3.1, I could edit lots of
stuff, but I don't remember how. I looked at the obvious stuff in my machine
to cause an extra character in the Title Bar so that I could go to the same
place in my wife's computer and remove the character that bothers me.

</JS>

Paul

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Oct 5, 9:02 am, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I find that I have a program installed (my wife has it, actually) and the
>> name that comes up has an extra character that should not be there.
>>
>> How do I edit the contents of the TITLE BAR?

> explain more please, is this a program that you wrote?
>
> <JS>
> No. It is a downloaded program. I have the same on my computer, but my
> wife's computer has the problem.
>
> </JS>
>

> your question
> is a little vague, but you can't really edit a program that you dont'
> have the source to in the title bar.. it's a bug or glitch in their
> program, try emailing them,
>

> <JS>
> Well, I have the same program on multiple machines, and only one gives
> this extra character.
>
> </JS>
>

> of course, if you want, you can try using a freeware program
> ResourceHacker (aka reshack) and edit the title bar if possible in
> it.. but it's more advanced and you could screw your program up if you
> do something wrong
>
> is one extra character really that bad? >_>
>

> <JS>
> No, not really bad. I just remember in Windows 3.1, I could edit lots of
> stuff, but I don't remember how. I looked at the obvious stuff in my
> machine to cause an extra character in the Title Bar so that I could go
> to the same place in my wife's computer and remove the character that
> bothers me.
>
> </JS>

If these were my two computers, I'd use a binary comparison utility of
some sort, to compare the two executables. Maybe one of the executables
is corrupted. Perhaps some previous malware attack and repair, has done
the damage ? Maybe an uninstall and reinstall of the application,
would fix it. While the title of the program could be stored in the
registry, that would be a silly place to keep it.

Paul

Jeff Strickland

"Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) net...
> Paul wrote:
>> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>

>>> "Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> explain more please, is this a program that you wrote?
>>>
>>> <JS>
>>> No. It is a downloaded program. I have the same on my computer, but my
>>> wife's computer has the problem.
>>>
>>> </JS>
>>>

>>> your question
>>> is a little vague, but you can't really edit a program that you dont'
>>> have the source to in the title bar.. it's a bug or glitch in their
>>> program, try emailing them,
>>>

>>> <JS>
>>> Well, I have the same program on multiple machines, and only one gives
>>> this extra character.
>>>
>>> </JS>
>>>

>>> of course, if you want, you can try using a freeware program
>>> ResourceHacker (aka reshack) and edit the title bar if possible in
>>> it.. but it's more advanced and you could screw your program up if you
>>> do something wrong
>>>
>>> is one extra character really that bad? >_>
>>>

>>> <JS>
>>> No, not really bad. I just remember in Windows 3.1, I could edit lots of
>>> stuff, but I don't remember how. I looked at the obvious stuff in my
>>> machine to cause an extra character in the Title Bar so that I could go
>>> to the same place in my wife's computer and remove the character that
>>> bothers me.
>>>
>>> </JS>
>>>

>> If these were my two computers, I'd use a binary comparison utility of
>> some sort, to compare the two executables. Maybe one of the executables
>> is corrupted. Perhaps some previous malware attack and repair, has done
>> the damage ? Maybe an uninstall and reinstall of the application,
>> would fix it. While the title of the program could be stored in the
>> registry, that would be a silly place to keep it.
>>
>> Paul

> All kinds of crap is in the registry; it is the garbage can for M$.
> As far as binary comparison goes, there is a DOS programnamed FC that
> will do that ("FC" is for File Compare).

Thanks, I think the answer is in the Registry too. I'll do a search of the
Registry for my application's name, and remove the extra character when it
comes up. I was hoping I would find the character in an INI file or
something. But, it's gonna be in the Registry.