Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to connect laptop to both home (workgroup) and office (domain) networks?

How to connect laptop to both home (workgroup) and office (domain) networks?

Philip Herlihy

"Pegasus (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Workgroups only matter when it comes to visibility of shared
> network resources in "Network Neighbourhood". Workgroup
> names are irrelevant when it comes to access permissions - it's
> the account names and passwords that count.
>
> To connect to a shared folder in a different workgroup, spell
> out its full name, either in Explorer or at the Command Prompt:
>
> net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShare
>
> or, on a Win2000/XP PC:
>
> net use S: \\192.168.0.15\SomeShare

By the way - I forgot to say Thanks!

--
####################
## PH, London

Philip Herlihy

Thanks Pegasus, Chuck & Bob, I'm grateful for your time and advice.

I've been playing around with all these issues and I'm at least
understanding them - I think! Unfortunately the laptop isn't currently here
(!) so there's still some guesswork to live with.

One question: I'll also need this to work when I'm not around, and I'm
concerned that a changed DHCP license on the wireless net at home may mean
the shares (folders, printer) won't be valid anymore. How can I make it all
reliable? If I change the workgroup name to match the domain will the home
shares be visible in "My Network Places"?

--
####################
## PH, London
"Philip Herlihy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
>docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to the
>Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
>good!
>
> I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and get
> access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is
> based on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use
> a common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I sure
> can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
> received!
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################

Chuck

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:50:34 +0100, "Philip Herlihy" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>Thanks Pegasus, Chuck & Bob, I'm grateful for your time and advice.
>
>I've been playing around with all these issues and I'm at least
>understanding them - I think! Unfortunately the laptop isn't currently here
>(!) so there's still some guesswork to live with.
>
>One question: I'll also need this to work when I'm not around, and I'm
>concerned that a changed DHCP license on the wireless net at home may mean
>the shares (folders, printer) won't be valid anymore. How can I make it all
>reliable? If I change the workgroup name to match the domain will the home
>shares be visible in "My Network Places"?

Philip,

With a peer-peer relationship between client and server, you authenticate by
local userid on the server. Assuming that the client (computer you login to
locally) can access the server (computer you're accessing remotely), and that
you have the right authentication (Guest or non-Guest, with passwords properly
synched - as outlined above), a changed DHCP License (ie ip settings) won't
matter.

--
Cheers,
Chuck

Pegasus \(MVP\)

"Philip Herlihy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Workgroups only matter when it comes to visibility of shared
> > network resources in "Network Neighbourhood". Workgroup
> > names are irrelevant when it comes to access permissions - it's
> > the account names and passwords that count.
> >
> > To connect to a shared folder in a different workgroup, spell
> > out its full name, either in Explorer or at the Command Prompt:
> >
> > net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShare
> >
> > or, on a Win2000/XP PC:
> >
> > net use S: \\192.168.0.15\SomeShare
> >

> Is that because XP doesn't have NetBIOS?

I don't have the in-depth knowledge on protocols to answer
your question with any degree of confidence.

> By the way - I forgot to say Thanks!

You're welcome.

Philip Herlihy

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> With a peer-peer relationship between client and server, you authenticate
> by
> local userid on the server. Assuming that the client (computer you login
> locally) can access the server (computer you're accessing remotely), and
> that
> you have the right authentication (Guest or non-Guest, with passwords
> properly
> synched - as outlined above), a changed DHCP License (ie ip settings)
> won't
> matter.

Thanks again for your patient help!

--
####################
## PH, London

Chuck

On Mon, 2 May 2005 15:30:47 +0100, "Philip Herlihy" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> With a peer-peer relationship between client and server, you authenticate
>> by
>> local userid on the server. Assuming that the client (computer you login
>> locally) can access the server (computer you're accessing remotely), and
>> that
>> you have the right authentication (Guest or non-Guest, with passwords
>> properly
>> synched - as outlined above), a changed DHCP License (ie ip settings)
>> won't
>> matter.
>>

>Thanks again for your patient help!

YW, Philip. Thanks for the feedback!

--
Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it comes from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.

bloofish bloofish is offline
Junior Member

Looks like my problem is similar to this thread. Do you guys mind responding to the thread I just posted? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

put www in front velocityreviews.com/forums/t665951-help-sharing-filesprinter-between-corporate-laptop-win2k-and-home-pc-xp-home.html