Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Allowing reote computer access to printer & "Shared Documents"

Allowing reote computer access to printer & "Shared Documents"

Colin

I have XP Home on my main computer and Windows 2000 Pro on a wireless remote
computer.
Sympatico is my ISP and has provided Bell Canada "Security Manager"
(includes firewall) and a wireless "ZWire" router.
I have set up "Shared Documents and Printers" on both computers.
I am able from the main computer to sign on to the remote computer and can
see "Shared Documents" as well as printers installed on the remote computer.
However, the reverse does not work, i.e. the remote computer does not have
access to the main computer "Shared Documents" and printer.
Windows Firewall has been configured on both computers to allow access to
"Shared Documents & Printers". The "Security Manager" firewall was turned
off on both.
I still can not access the printer & shared documents of the main computer.
Any suggestions?

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Do a simple test. Can you ping the XP Home by IP address?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have XP Home on my main computer and Windows 2000 Pro on a wireless
>remote
> computer.
> Sympatico is my ISP and has provided Bell Canada "Security Manager"
> (includes firewall) and a wireless "ZWire" router.
> I have set up "Shared Documents and Printers" on both computers.
> I am able from the main computer to sign on to the remote computer and can
> see "Shared Documents" as well as printers installed on the remote
> computer.
> However, the reverse does not work, i.e. the remote computer does not have
> access to the main computer "Shared Documents" and printer.
> Windows Firewall has been configured on both computers to allow access to
> "Shared Documents & Printers". The "Security Manager" firewall was turned
> off on both.
> I still can not access the printer & shared documents of the main
> computer.
> Any suggestions?

smlunatick

On Oct 4, 10:44*pm, Colin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have XP Home on my main computer and Windows 2000 Pro on a wireless remote
> computer.
> Sympatico is my ISP and has provided Bell Canada "Security Manager"
> (includes firewall) and a wireless "ZWire" router.
> I have set up "Shared Documents and Printers" on both computers.
> I am able from the main computer to sign on to the remote computer and can
> see "Shared Documents" as well as printers installed on the remote computer.
> However, the reverse does not work, i.e. the remote computer does not have
> access to the main computer "Shared Documents" and printer.
> Windows Firewall has been configured on both computers to allow access to
> "Shared Documents & Printers". *The "Security Manager" firewall was turned
> off on both.
> I still can not access the printer & shared documents of the main computer. *
> Any suggestions?

How remote? How do your two computer connect to each other? If your
remote PC is not on the same local network (aka LAN) then you need to
correctly set up File / Printer sharing and most home routers do not
permit this.