Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Networking without a router

Wireless Networking without a router

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXk=?=

I am tring to network together my desktop pc with broadband internet access
and my laptop. Neither my desktop or laptop have wireless cards as of yet. I
have read the article on here by Barb Bowman at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx regarding setting up an ad-hoc network without a wireless router.

But my question is can a usb device be used instead of a card for each pc.
For example If I used 2 Dlink DWL-G132 108mbps usb adapters, 1 in each
computer would this work following Bowmans walkthroug linked to above? Or am
i getting the wrong end of the stick? Any help or product advice would me
much appreciated. Thanks Tom

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi

Yeah any Wireless Card (PCI PCMCIA or USB) would work.

However if you have Broadband connection with External Ethernet Modem you are much
better of using a Wireless cable DSL Router.

For Ad-Hoc connection you need two Wireless cards. With a Wireless Router you would need
only one card. The price of an Inexpensive Wireless Router is almost the same as a Card,
so money wise it is either the same or a little bit more to go with a Wireless Router.

This is even more critical if you have a DSL Connection, see here:
http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

Using Wireless Router for Broadband connection provide much safer system with more
stable Internet and Wireless connection.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...