Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to force multiple computers connect to the same AP all the time

How to force multiple computers connect to the same AP all the time

Bussarin

Hello,

I have one printer connecting to a computer and it is shared with additional
4 computers in a wireless network. There are several APs that each computer
can establish its connection to go out to the Internet. When they are not
connecting to the same AP, they would be on different subnet; thus, they
could not see the shared printer.

How can I set/force all 5 computers to connect to the same AP all the time?

Thanks.

Bussarin V.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You did not mentioned any details on OS and what is used to mange the
Wireless.
In general, clean the preferred Wireless list, leave only the SSID of the AP
that you want to use.
Uncheck the connect to any Network.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
You can also check the original Utility of the Wireless manufacturer. Some
of them have entries to force a connection to one specific SSID.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Bussarin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u7rYg%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have one printer connecting to a computer and it is shared with
> additional 4 computers in a wireless network. There are several APs that
> each computer can establish its connection to go out to the Internet.
> When they are not connecting to the same AP, they would be on different
> subnet; thus, they could not see the shared printer.
>
> How can I set/force all 5 computers to connect to the same AP all the
> time?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bussarin V.

Bussarin

Jack,

They are all Windows XP Pro and using the Windows Wireless Utility. I'll
try what you've suggested and will post the result back next Friday.

Thank you very much. Really appreciate your prompt reply.

Bussarin V.

news:OtCm%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> You did not mentioned any details on OS and what is used to mange the
> Wireless.
> In general, clean the preferred Wireless list, leave only the SSID of the
> AP that you want to use.
> Uncheck the connect to any Network.
> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
> You can also check the original Utility of the Wireless manufacturer. Some
> of them have entries to force a connection to one specific SSID.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Bussarin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u7rYg%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have one printer connecting to a computer and it is shared with
>> additional 4 computers in a wireless network. There are several APs that
>> each computer can establish its connection to go out to the Internet.
>> When they are not connecting to the same AP, they would be on different
>> subnet; thus, they could not see the shared printer.
>>
>> How can I set/force all 5 computers to connect to the same AP all the
>> time?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Bussarin V.

Bussarin

Hello,

Just have a chance to go and change the wireless settings to connect to the
specified Access Point. It works. However, some computers still could not
print and could not see other computers in the same workgroup.

Bussarin V.

news:u0%(E-Mail Removed)...