Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Monitor Screen is not sharp but faint

Monitor Screen is not sharp but faint

Chaudhry.Nijjhar

Hi,

I have Samsung 21" Monitor Screen but it is getting fainter. Slide bars are
not sharp. Is it packing up or there is an adjustment to darken the screen
lines.

Where can I adjust the brightness and contrast please?

Rajinder

John Holmes

Chaudhry.Nijjhar "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Hi,
>
> I have Samsung 21" Monitor Screen but it is getting fainter. Slide
> bars are not sharp. Is it packing up or there is an adjustment to
> darken the screen lines.
>
> Where can I adjust the brightness and contrast please?
>
> Rajinder

Stop eating garlic and curry spiced dishes. Or stop breathing when your
at your computer. The cause of your monitor fainting is that your breath
leaves a tin garlic and curry foil on the monitor.

HTH

--
<snip>

wisdomkiller & pain

Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Samsung 21" Monitor Screen but it is getting fainter. Slide bars
> are
> not sharp. Is it packing up or there is an adjustment to darken the
> screen lines.
>
> Where can I adjust the brightness and contrast please?

If it's a tube monitor, it may well be at EOL - but check for bad contacts
on your vga connectors first. Un- and replugging alone may change image
quality, at least for a while.
If it's a flatscreen, check contacts as well and use DVI when possible.

mail

Open up the set by unseating all the screws.
Be careful when you are taking out the back casing.
Look for the variables for adjusting the color, contrast and the clarity.
There should be 3 or 4 for you to adjust it.
Be sure to turn off the power before dismantling. But then you have to extra
careful to do the tuning of those varaibles with the power on.
After tuning it, you can turn off the power and put back the casing.
Sometimes you need to do it twice to get the best results.
Interesting skill to try.
Regards

"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Samsung 21" Monitor Screen but it is getting fainter. Slide bars
>> are
>> not sharp. Is it packing up or there is an adjustment to darken the
>> screen lines.
>>
>> Where can I adjust the brightness and contrast please?
>>

> If it's a tube monitor, it may well be at EOL - but check for bad contacts
> on your vga connectors first. Un- and replugging alone may change image
> quality, at least for a while.
> If it's a flatscreen, check contacts as well and use DVI when possible.

Chaudhry.Nijjhar

"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Samsung 21" Monitor Screen but it is getting fainter. Slide bars
>> are
>> not sharp. Is it packing up or there is an adjustment to darken the
>> screen lines.
>>
>> Where can I adjust the brightness and contrast please?
>>

> If it's a tube monitor, it may well be at EOL - but check for bad contacts
> on your vga connectors first. Un- and replugging alone may change image
> quality, at least for a while.
> If it's a flatscreen, check contacts as well and use DVI when possible.

Hi,

Some times the screen goes black for a while and then returns, On other
oaccasions, I have to unplug the monitor and replug.

Where is this DVI setting please?

Rajinder

Chaudhry.Nijjhar

Hi,

Many thanks. I will do so in the presence of a learned person.

Rajinder

"mail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gc7p0s$isf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Open up the set by unseating all the screws.
> Be careful when you are taking out the back casing.
> Look for the variables for adjusting the color, contrast and the clarity.
> There should be 3 or 4 for you to adjust it.
> Be sure to turn off the power before dismantling. But then you have to
> extra careful to do the tuning of those varaibles with the power on.
> After tuning it, you can turn off the power and put back the casing.
> Sometimes you need to do it twice to get the best results.
> Interesting skill to try.
> Regards
>
> "wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have Samsung 21" Monitor Screen but it is getting fainter. Slide bars
>>> are
>>> not sharp. Is it packing up or there is an adjustment to darken the
>>> screen lines.
>>>
>>> Where can I adjust the brightness and contrast please?
>>>

>> If it's a tube monitor, it may well be at EOL - but check for bad
>> contacts
>> on your vga connectors first. Un- and replugging alone may change image
>> quality, at least for a while.
>> If it's a flatscreen, check contacts as well and use DVI when possible.

Chaudhry.Nijjhar

Thank you.

Rajinder

"hwأf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 19:24:00 +0100, Chaudhry.Nijjhar aided th' terraists
> with the following claims :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Samsung 21" Monitor Screen but it is getting fainter. Slide bars
>> are
>> not sharp. Is it packing up or there is an adjustment to darken the
>> screen
>> lines.
>>
>> Where can I adjust the brightness and contrast please?
>>
>> Rajinder

> Look for the FFC ID code on the back of the monitor and g00gle for the
> manual, support website etc.
>
> DONT OPEN UP THE MONITOR! THeres a capacitor in there that holds enough
> charge to kill you.
> FYI
>
> --
> "Those who can make you believe absurdities,
> can make you commit atrocities" - Voltaire

wisdomkiller & pain

Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some times the screen goes black for a while and then returns, On other
> oaccasions, I have to unplug the monitor and replug.

You are talking about a tube monitor?
Do you hear some sort of click when it goes black? - it may be a protection
circuit. Sometimes accumulated dust does this, but most of the time some
big capacitors are at E.O.L.
A can of "compressed air" and a vacuum cleaner with soft brush should help
you. Afterwards you can locate the focus potentiometer and try to adjust
it, but that needs turning on the device and may expose you to dangerous
voltages.
Opening a tube monitor can be dangerous. I have done it myself, though.
First unplug it and leave it for some hours before you proceed.

> Where is this DVI setting please?

Tube monitors - except maybe new professional ones - do not have the white
DVI socket.

ian field

"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Chaudhry.Nijjhar wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Some times the screen goes black for a while and then returns, On other
>> oaccasions, I have to unplug the monitor and replug.
>>

> You are talking about a tube monitor?
> Do you hear some sort of click when it goes black? - it may be a
> protection
> circuit. Sometimes accumulated dust does this, but most of the time some
> big capacitors are at E.O.L.
> A can of "compressed air" and a vacuum cleaner with soft brush should help
> you. Afterwards you can locate the focus potentiometer and try to adjust
> it, but that needs turning on the device and may expose you to dangerous
> voltages.
> Opening a tube monitor can be dangerous. I have done it myself, though.
> First unplug it and leave it for some hours before you proceed.

About a couple of decades ago some 'genius' at Philips decided to issue a
memo claiming that due to the high stability of modern SMPSUs, CRT heaters
should be operated at 6.15V instead of the correct 6.3V. It seems that most
manufacturers have been misled!

The result of underrunning the heaters is that the cathodes emissive coating
becomes contaminated by the remnants of gasses left after the tube has been
gettered.

If the loss of emission isn't too far gone it can be recovered by loading an
all white wallpaper (scan a blank sheet of printer paper and use the file as
wallpaper) and leave the monitor running the white screen at full Bri & Cont
and see whether it recovers.

Another common cause of emission failure is a worn out electrolytic
capacitor after the rectifier for the heater supply - adding at least 1uF
low ESR non-electrolytic in parallel with the replacement will prolong its
life.

Its always worth checking the heater voltage, if its less than 6.3V trace
the track back to the rectifier and determine whether or not its a
shottky-barrier type - if it is then the only possible improvement is look
for resistors that can be eliminated on the way to the heater.

If the heater rectifier isn't a SB type then significant improvement can be
had from fitting one. It is vital to ensure that the SB rectifier's reverse
voltage not be exceeded! 20, 30 & 40V types are fairly common but won't be
adequate 60V types are more expensive and might only just do the job. One
possible solution is to protect the rectifier with it's own snubber
circuit - first off, with the original rectifier in place make a peak
detector with a rectifier and capacitor in series, across the existing
rectifier but with the peak detector rectifier pointing the other way - so
you can measure the peak reverse voltage. The sum of the peak reverse
voltage and the rectified voltage must not exceed the rated voltage of the
SB rectifier to be used.

One trick to bring down the peak reverse voltage is to shunt the capacitor
in the previously described peak detector with a resistor - lower the value
until the peak voltage is damped low enough. Adding the resistor has turned
the peak detector into a snubber.

SB rectifiers generally have higher junction capacitance which can cause
higher ripple on the rectified rail, so its a good idea to replace the
reservoir capacitor with a new low ESR type and better yet bolster it's low
ESR by adding at least 1uF non-electrolytic in parallel.

Chaudhry.Nijjhar

"Desk Rabbit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mail wrote:
>> "wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> If it's a tube monitor, it may well be at EOL - but check for bad
>>> contacts
>>> on your vga connectors first. Un- and replugging alone may change image
>>> quality, at least for a while.
>>> If it's a flatscreen, check contacts as well and use DVI when possible.
>>>

> <Soopid top posting corrected.>
>
> > Open up the set by unseating all the screws.
> > Be careful when you are taking out the back casing.
> > Look for the variables for adjusting the color, contrast and the

> clarity.
> > There should be 3 or 4 for you to adjust it.
> > Be sure to turn off the power before dismantling. But then you have

> to extra
> > careful to do the tuning of those varaibles with the power on.
> > After tuning it, you can turn off the power and put back the casing.
> > Sometimes you need to do it twice to get the best results.
> > Interesting skill to try.
> > Regards
> >

> In the context of a CRT monitor, that is extremely dangerous advice and
> following that advice could cause serious injury or death. Do not open CRT
> monitors and under no circumstances put yourself or any other items inside
> the unit whether it is switched on or off. There are voltages in excess of
> 25,000 volts inside a CRT and these can remain there even when the unit is
> off. I've seen people take the skin off the back of their hands on the
> sharp edges of a monitor frame when they have got a shock and the reflex
> action has caused them to withdraw their hand rapidly.
>
> I the OP can't adjust the brightness and contrast sufficiently with the
> consumer controls then they should take it to a qualified repair
> technician.

Thank you very much and I shall be taking it to a qualified Technician. I
attend a Computer club and over there people are helpful.

Rajinder