Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: OK so vista is annoying....

Re: OK so vista is annoying....

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48e3b8c1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> For some reason the disk is being constantly accessed...its running like a
> dog because of this...got 4Gb of ram so cant be swapping...not unless
> mouse clicking now needs 4GB+ with vista...

Hello Thingy !

For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default when
vista's installed.

Right-click on your hard drive and de-select it, it will take a couple of
minutes to go through the drive.

This will increase performance considerably.

This may be the reason vista is unpopular.

hth

Gordon

"d" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_AnFk.66107$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:48e3b8c1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> For some reason the disk is being constantly accessed...its running like
>> a dog because of this...got 4Gb of ram so cant be swapping...not unless
>> mouse clicking now needs 4GB+ with vista...

> Hello Thingy !
>
> For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
> when vista's installed.

But it only indexes when the machine is idle, and when it's finished
indexing it STOPS!

+Bob+

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:03:52 +0100, "Gordon"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
>> when vista's installed.

>But it only indexes when the machine is idle, and when it's finished
>indexing it STOPS!

Not in my experience. I shut off all indexing on the C: drive, yet I
still found searchindexer.exe running and thrashing the hard drive
weeks later. YMMV.

Gordon

"+Bob+" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:03:52 +0100, "Gordon"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
>>> when vista's installed.

>>But it only indexes when the machine is idle, and when it's finished
>>indexing it STOPS!

> Not in my experience. I shut off all indexing on the C: drive, yet I
> still found searchindexer.exe running and thrashing the hard drive
> weeks later. YMMV.

Well I have Indexing on, but I have NO such service or process as
searchindexer.exe running or in existence. Are you sure you don't have a
third-party search app installed?

DDW

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 23:44:43 -0500, "Warren DesJardins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"d" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:_AnFk.66107$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:48e3b8c1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> For some reason the disk is being constantly accessed...its running like
>>> a dog because of this...got 4Gb of ram so cant be swapping...not unless
>>> mouse clicking now needs 4GB+ with vista...

>> Hello Thingy !
>>
>> For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
>> when vista's installed.
>>
>> Right-click on your hard drive and de-select it, it will take a couple of
>> minutes to go through the drive.

>Right clicking on my hard drive C: doesn't give any option to deselect it.

Right click on the drive (if you have more than one, do it on all of
them), choose Properties.

Look for the option at the bottom.

To make SURE you've rid yourself of the problem...

Go to Control Panel (Classic view) | Administrative tools | Services

Scroll down to Windows Search.

Change Startup Type to DISABLED.

Then STOP the service.

DDW