Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

AVG 8 - detects stuff in HP restore point folder as 'malware'

- Bobb -

AVG8 OK in your HP laptop?
Anyone else have an issue ?

I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18
months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up, checked
battery etc and saw that my Antivirus app had expired. I downloaded/
installed latest AVG 8 in mid August and updated XP and ran a scan- ran
fine. I then went on the road for 5 weeks using the laptop only
occasionally to transfer pictures from camera and check email. During the
second week I connected to wireless at hotel , AVG did an update and a
short while later, AVG popped up to say that it detected problems in
C:\[system ID here \restore....] and should I quarantine, fix,delete ?.
Two were listed as serious and a few were minor. The date on the " serious
files" was previous to my trip and the others were dated the first week of
my travels. I thought - strange I didn't get notified before, and chose
quarantine and continued. I thought - MAYBE since it just did an update -
I had a new virus/spyware and the latest update looked for it. A few days
later I turned it on to tranfer pictures ( no internet) and it "found some
more issues". I then right-clicked on network adapter to check "Wireless
Networks " tab (to investigate this online), and when I clicked on
Wireless Networks saw a Microsoft message (paraphrasing) " this info is
messed up - I can't display the desired info - do a restore." I then went
into AVG quarantine area and said restore them - and rebooted. Still
couldn't see 'available networks' on Wireless Networks tab - same error
message. After that , I just elected ignore when it notified me of "more
problems". ( I had googled the message originally and generic msft info
returned) BTW, I CAN connect to wireless networks by using systray icon.

I'm now home and have access to restore DVDs etc if needed and after
copying all files/pictures from my trip to backup drive, will select a
restore point and see how it goes. Just checking to see if anyone else has
had such an issue. It seems to me that AVG8 doesn't like the data or
format of what is in the restore point folder ( on the C drive - this
isn't the D drive restore info). It scanned ok the first time, but all of
these " pop-up alerts' telling me that I have issues are while it is
'scanning in the background'. I didn't invoke anything. Nor had I done
anything to create a new restore point. I was using PC to transfer
video/jpegs. I'll update later in the week - maybe I got some corruption,
but I doubt it, and just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this with
AVG8.

- Bobb -

"HH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iLqdna8Xe6_BlnvVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@metrocastcab levision.com...
> AVG 8 has some false detection issues. On my Acer laptop, it "detected"
> 5 trojans in the install file for an AverMedia TV tuner express card. I
> contacted AverMedia and they assured me there were no viruses in their
> software. They contacted AVG and a few weeks later there was an AVG
> update that corrected the issue. I would contact AVG via e-mail and ask.
> I'm not saying you do not have a virus issue, but I'd check it out.
> You also might do a free online scan offered by firms such as PC Cillin.
>
> HH

That's what I suspect - a false detection - and also
corruption/interaction since it 'messed up' some parts of laptop even
after I chose to "put them back as they were".

I have to do a restore to get "things to work as they did prior to AVG".
I'll send along to HP - thanks.

> news:gc50sg$99c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> AVG8 OK in your HP laptop?
>> Anyone else have an issue ?
>>
>> I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18
>> months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up,
>> checked battery etc and saw that my Antivirus app had expired. I
>> downloaded/ installed latest AVG 8 in mid August and updated XP and ran
>> a scan- ran fine. I then went on the road for 5 weeks using the laptop
>> only occasionally to transfer pictures from camera and check email.
>> During the second week I connected to wireless at hotel , AVG did an
>> update and a short while later, AVG popped up to say that it detected
>> problems in C:\[system ID here \restore....] and should I quarantine,
>> fix,delete ?. Two were listed as serious and a few were minor. The date
>> on the " serious files" was previous to my trip and the others were
>> dated the first week of my travels. I thought - strange I didn't get
>> notified before, and chose quarantine and continued. I thought - MAYBE
>> since it just did an update - I had a new virus/spyware and the latest
>> update looked for it. A few days later I turned it on to tranfer
>> pictures ( no internet) and it "found some more issues". I then
>> right-clicked on network adapter to check "Wireless Networks " tab (to
>> investigate this online), and when I clicked on Wireless Networks saw a
>> Microsoft message (paraphrasing) " this info is messed up - I can't
>> display the desired info - do a restore." I then went into AVG
>> quarantine area and said restore them - and rebooted. Still couldn't
>> see 'available networks' on Wireless Networks tab - same error message.
>> After that , I just elected ignore when it notified me of "more
>> problems". ( I had googled the message originally and generic msft info
>> returned) BTW, I CAN connect to wireless networks by using systray
>> icon.
>>
>> I'm now home and have access to restore DVDs etc if needed and after
>> copying all files/pictures from my trip to backup drive, will select a
>> restore point and see how it goes. Just checking to see if anyone else
>> has had such an issue. It seems to me that AVG8 doesn't like the data
>> or format of what is in the restore point folder ( on the C drive -
>> this isn't the D drive restore info). It scanned ok the first time, but
>> all of these " pop-up alerts' telling me that I have issues are while
>> it is 'scanning in the background'. I didn't invoke anything. Nor had I
>> done anything to create a new restore point. I was using PC to transfer
>> video/jpegs. I'll update later in the week - maybe I got some
>> corruption, but I doubt it, and just wanted to see if anyone else
>> noticed this with AVG8.

saycheez

While AVG is very good, particularly given its free price, at finding
viruses it occasionally has false positives.
You can research these on the web.
I use AVG but I think it is a trifle worse in this regard than, e.g.,
Norton. On the other hand, unlike Norton, it is free, does not cut your
system's performance in half and will not trash your hard drive when you try
to uninstall it. Norton, a la Vista, issues warnings about perfectly
innocuous activities without telling you what the threat might actually be.
While on the subject of Norton: it came pre-installed on a computer my
elderly mother bought. The computer froze frequently, almost always when
coming out of any suspend mode. Deleting Norton and installing AVG cured the
problem.
Just saying . . .

John Holmes

boat987 "contributed" in alt.computer:

> I got my MCSE

Minesweaper Consultant and Solitaire Expert, that's what you are.

--
<snip>

ShadowTek

AVG 8 has been been nothing but problems for me ever since it was released.

I ran AVG 7 for a long time and was pleased with it, but v8 is about a
worthless, buggy piece o crap imo.

I would suggest switching to a different AV product.

- Bobb -

"ShadowTek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9B2C9553BE772psistormyamatocscom@85.214.90 .236...
> AVG 8 has been been nothing but problems for me ever since it was
> released.
>
> I ran AVG 7 for a long time and was pleased with it, but v8 is about a
> worthless, buggy piece o crap imo.
>
> I would suggest switching to a different AV product.

My thoughts exactly - until this version it was great. ( still copying
from laptop to desktop ... ALMOST done)
I googled "AVG8 and FALSE POSITIVE" and found lots of complaints. I have a
note written that I'm gonna send to HP - maybe they can post to prevent
others from going through this. I'll send along - once I know the outcome

Ben Myers

- Bobb - wrote:
> AVG8 OK in your HP laptop?
> Anyone else have an issue ?
>
> I have DV6000 series laptop for traveling and it has worked fine for 18
> months. I was leaving for a trip in late August so powered it up,
> checked battery etc and saw that my Antivirus app had expired. I
> downloaded/ installed latest AVG 8 in mid August and updated XP and ran
> a scan- ran fine. I then went on the road for 5 weeks using the laptop
> only occasionally to transfer pictures from camera and check email.
> During the second week I connected to wireless at hotel , AVG did an
> update and a short while later, AVG popped up to say that it detected
> problems in C:\[system ID here \restore....] and should I quarantine,
> fix,delete ?. Two were listed as serious and a few were minor. The date
> on the " serious files" was previous to my trip and the others were
> dated the first week of my travels. I thought - strange I didn't get
> notified before, and chose quarantine and continued. I thought - MAYBE
> since it just did an update - I had a new virus/spyware and the latest
> update looked for it. A few days later I turned it on to tranfer
> pictures ( no internet) and it "found some more issues". I then
> right-clicked on network adapter to check "Wireless Networks " tab (to
> investigate this online), and when I clicked on Wireless Networks saw a
> Microsoft message (paraphrasing) " this info is messed up - I can't
> display the desired info - do a restore." I then went into AVG
> quarantine area and said restore them - and rebooted. Still couldn't see
> 'available networks' on Wireless Networks tab - same error message.
> After that , I just elected ignore when it notified me of "more
> problems". ( I had googled the message originally and generic msft info
> returned) BTW, I CAN connect to wireless networks by using systray icon.
>
> I'm now home and have access to restore DVDs etc if needed and after
> copying all files/pictures from my trip to backup drive, will select a
> restore point and see how it goes. Just checking to see if anyone else
> has had such an issue. It seems to me that AVG8 doesn't like the data
> or format of what is in the restore point folder ( on the C drive - this
> isn't the D drive restore info). It scanned ok the first time, but all
> of these " pop-up alerts' telling me that I have issues are while it is
> 'scanning in the background'. I didn't invoke anything. Nor had I done
> anything to create a new restore point. I was using PC to transfer
> video/jpegs. I'll update later in the week - maybe I got some
> corruption, but I doubt it, and just wanted to see if anyone else
> noticed this with AVG8.

Here's another scenario without false positives. Let's say that your
computer contracted a virus infection and then you did some sort of
software update, Windows or otherwise. If an infected file was replaced
by the update, it gets bundled up with all the other older files into
the restore point. AVG does a scan and rightfully finds a virus right
there in the middle of a restore point.

I do not envy the developers of any of these anti-virus programs for the
difficult task they do. The trade press and the general news media
report almost daily on the newest scams, the hacker groups and so on.

AVG is still better than most. For me, this week involved solving
serious software problems on two different computers, one with Norton
Internet Security and the other with McAfee Internet Security. My
experiences confirmed once again that I would not install these products
on the computers of my worst enemy... Ben Myers