Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Z depth camera

Z depth camera

Richard

Have you heard of the ZCam? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?

Richard

Don Stauffer

Deep Reset wrote:

> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have you heard of the ZCam? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
>> It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
>> it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
>> camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?
>>
>> Richard

> There was a Z camera exhibited at IBC in around 1999-2000 by one of the
> Japanese mfrs, IIRC
> Hitachi, maybe, though I doubt it was capable of much more than studio
> distances.
>
> Sick LASER rangefinder?
>
> HTH
>
> Deep.

There are/have been a number of active-illumination cameras that do
this, some laser, some flashtube. It takes a LOT of computer power and
these things are not cheap. The image tube used has to be VERY fast,
some sort of gated tube. Many of them take a different depth slice each
flash, so are not usable if there is much movement in the scene.

dj_nme

Don Stauffer wrote:
> Deep Reset wrote:
>>
>> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Have you heard of the ZCam? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
>>> It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
>>> it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
>>> camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?
>>>
>>> Richard

>> There was a Z camera exhibited at IBC in around 1999-2000 by one of
>> the Japanese mfrs, IIRC
>> Hitachi, maybe, though I doubt it was capable of much more than studio
>> distances.
>>
>> Sick LASER rangefinder?
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Deep.

> There are/have been a number of active-illumination cameras that do
> this, some laser, some flashtube. It takes a LOT of computer power and
> these things are not cheap. The image tube used has to be VERY fast,
> some sort of gated tube. Many of them take a different depth slice each
> flash, so are not usable if there is much movement in the scene.

The same sort of idea was thought of for analogue TV.
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...ee-dimensions/
There isn't really much that is actually new.

Matt Ion

Richard wrote:
> Have you heard of the ZCam? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
> It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
> it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
> camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?
>
> Richard

Am I the only one who thinks this post is spam? It links to a Wikipedia
article that reads like ad copy.

Richard

On Oct 4, 5:02*am, "Deep Reset" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Have you heard of the ZCam?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
> > It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
> > it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
> > camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?

> > Richard

> There was a Z camera exhibited at IBC in around 1999-2000 by one of the
> Japanese mfrs, IIRC
> Hitachi, maybe, though I doubt it was capable of much more than studio
> distances.
>
> Sick LASER rangefinder?
>
> HTH
>
> Deep.

that looks promising:
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/etit/proau...finder.99.html

thanks Deep

Richard

On Oct 5, 12:53*pm, Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Richard wrote:
> > Have you heard of the ZCam?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZCam
> > It uses infrared to give you depth data alongside the video feed. But
> > it's meant for the PC and so has a small range. Does anyone know of a
> > camera that can calculate depth over larger distances? Say up to 100m?

> > Richard

> Am I the only one who thinks this post is spam? *It links to a Wikipedia
> article that reads like ad copy.

haha, sorry about that. I would have linked to the review I read but
the wikipedia article was more succinct.

Lens with Depth of Field indicator. (For full frame [36x24mm] digital camera.) Henry Digital Photography 6 12-15-2009 06:43 AM
Digital camera depth of field question JM Digital Photography 7 10-24-2005 01:05 PM
RE: Complaints about lack of depth in MOC 2297 =?Utf-8?B?bWF0dGI=?= MCSE 0 06-17-2005 06:00 AM
Depth of MCSE Session MCSE 8 05-28-2004 08:41 PM
Set bit depth of an image Shawn ASP .Net 1 07-04-2003 09:50 AM

Advertisments