Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: 1.5tb drives!

Re: 1.5tb drives!

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Bobs" typed:
> thing2 wrote:
>> http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Seagat...iew-31358.html

> Currently I have
>
> 500gb drive
> 250gb drive
> 160gb drive
> 640gb external drive
> 40gb external drive
>
> 1.5TB would double that. Not bad for 300-odd.

Yeah, I was thinking, I have 2 x 500MB and 2 x 320MB in this machine. Might
be time to get a 1.5TB drive (one to start with) and swap out at least the 2
x 320s and sell them on Trademe. It'll save power (1 drive vs 2), increase
capacity and I'll probably get half of my money back (or more) on the 320s.

Hmmmm.... Just need to wave the plastic to get the 1.5TB drive first.
There's the rub.
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Puddle" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Bobs" typed:
>>>
>>> 500gb drive
>>> 250gb drive
>>> 160gb drive
>>> 640gb external drive
>>> 40gb external drive
>>>
>>> 1.5TB would double that. Not bad for 300-odd.

>> Yeah, I was thinking, I have 2 x 500MB and 2 x 320MB in this
>> machine. Might be time to get a 1.5TB drive (one to start with) and
>> swap out at least the 2 x 320s and sell them on Trademe. It'll save
>> power (1 drive vs 2), increase capacity and I'll probably get half
>> of my money back (or more) on the 320s. Hmmmm.... Just need to wave the
>> plastic to get the 1.5TB drive first.
>> There's the rub.

> It is great how fast sizes are increasing.

Isn't it though? I still remember vividly buying my first HDD that was
measured in gigabytes, a Maxtor 1.7GB drive. On impulse I went to my old
filing cabinet and looked for the receipt but didn't find it. I did however
find some stuff from about that time, a receipt for a 15" KTX monitor ($450)
and a 33.6 PCI modem ($125). I also found "backups" of my autoexec.bat and
config.sys files, printed out copies. <g>

> I recently bought a 500
> gig drive and thought that was good value, well it was actually
> because it isn't the top size and so was $110 inc gst and now I see
> 1TB drives for 212 inc gst... While these sizes are great, it is
> scary to think how much info can be lost when one drive dies and I'm
> not the best with backups though I know I should be!

Mmmm, I bought my two 500s at around $120 each and they're filling up
rapidly. I backup what needs to be backed up from time to time <switches on
second PC to copy a couple folders over, thanks for the prompt> like photos,
email folder, documents folder with essential stuff like a running total of
*exactly* how much I owe the banks...

> If I win the powerball I will shout you a few 1.5TB drives so you can
> save the plastic.

Thanks. I went shopping today and didn't spend much as usual as I'm
starting to get a few veges from the garden and a kind gentleman who I
helped build a computer left me some bags of nuts this week. Soooo, I did
what I always say is silly and bought the minimum price ticket that could
win the big prize (I hope I'm proved wrong about it being silly, at leasy in
this incidence).

Therefore, back at ya! If I win the powerball I'll return the favour and buy
you a few 1.5TB HDDs too.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <48e70653$(E-Mail Removed)>, Puddle wrote:

> While these sizes are great, it is scary to think how
> much info can be lost when one drive dies ...

There's another, more subtle problem, in that these capacities are hitting
the limitations of drive error rates. That is, if you do a read of every
sector in the disk, the odds are increasing that you're going to hit an I/O
error at some point, even on a perfectly good disk.

Current filesystems don't deal well with this--if there's an error, the data
is gone. That's why people are working on next-generation filesystems, like
ZFS, HAMMER and btrfs, to cope with these huge,
less-than-perfectly-reliable drives.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, tankman wrote:

> Imagine defragging the blighter as well.

Just use an OS and filesystem that doesn't require defragging.

Stephen Worthington

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 21:00:20 -0500, tankman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>alakazam;9211286 Wrote:
>> Wow 1.5TB you could store the universe on that LOL!
>>

>Err not quite, maybe 2TB tho.
>Imagine defragging the blighter as well.

Its not so bad, as if you are using a drive that big, you are usually
using it for huge files. My TV programs are a minimum of 1 Gibyte
each, up to over 5 Gibytes for an hour of DVB-T HD TV. And Vista does
defrag in the background once a week by default. It seems to
automatically pause when you want to do something else.

Richard

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 21:00:20 -0500, tankman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> alakazam;9211286 Wrote:
>>> Wow 1.5TB you could store the universe on that LOL!
>>>

>> Err not quite, maybe 2TB tho.
>> Imagine defragging the blighter as well.

> Its not so bad, as if you are using a drive that big, you are usually
> using it for huge files. My TV programs are a minimum of 1 Gibyte
> each, up to over 5 Gibytes for an hour of DVB-T HD TV. And Vista does
> defrag in the background once a week by default. It seems to
> automatically pause when you want to do something else.

Plus you only get fragmentation when you start to write big files to a
near full drive and since even 1% free on a 1.5TB drive is massive, it
should never have to fragment files into the gaps when adding to it.

Stephen Worthington

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 21:32:45 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> Err not quite, maybe 2TB tho.
>>> Imagine defragging the blighter as well.

>> Its not so bad, as if you are using a drive that big, you are usually
>> using it for huge files. My TV programs are a minimum of 1 Gibyte
>> each, up to over 5 Gibytes for an hour of DVB-T HD TV. And Vista does
>> defrag in the background once a week by default. It seems to
>> automatically pause when you want to do something else.

>Plus you only get fragmentation when you start to write big files to a
>near full drive and since even 1% free on a 1.5TB drive is massive, it
>should never have to fragment files into the gaps when adding to it.

Well, fragmentation is a relative thing. 1% of 1.5 Tbytes is 15
Gbytes. When there is only 15 Gbytes left on your 1.5 Tbyte drive and
your file sizes are 5+ Gibytes, then I think you will get
fragmentation happening. The fragments will probably be larger, but
still a problem. If your file size was only 100 Mibytes in the same
situation, there would likely be no problem.