Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RELEASED Python 2.6 final

RELEASED Python 2.6 final

Barry Warsaw

Michele Simionato

On Oct 2, 5:46*am, Barry Warsaw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I *
> am happy to announce the release of Python 2.6 final.

Cool! I have just downloaded the Mac installer and did
the installation on my Intel MacBook, however it seems I have
some issue with Tkinter:

$ python2.6
Python 2.6 (trunk:66714:66715M, Oct 1 2008, 18:36:04)
>>> import Tkinter

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/
python2.6/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 39, in <module>
import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
for Tk
ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so, 2): Library not loaded: /
Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Tcl
Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
lib/python2.6/lib-dynload/_tkinter.so
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Tcl: mach-o,
but wrong architecture
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Tcl: mach-o,
but wrong architecture

Any hints?

Paul Rubin

Barry Warsaw <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.6.html

Wow! This is a very major upgrade with lots of welcome extensions.
I hadn't been following the 2.6 efforts that closely so I am awed.
Congrats!

nneonneo

Hmm, I was looking forward to trying this out, but the Windows
installer link (http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6/python-2.6.msi)
is presently broken (as is the link for the 64-bit Windows version).

While I'm at it, I might also point out that http://www.python.org/download/windows/
is quite out-of-date. I don't really think it is worth promoting
version 1.5.2 of Python (even if it is Python CE) if Python 3.0 is
about to come out...

skip@pobox.com

nneonneo> Hmm, I was looking forward to trying this out, but the Windows
nneonneo> installer link
nneonneo> (http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6/python-2.6.msi) is
nneonneo> presently broken (as is the link for the 64-bit Windows
nneonneo> version).

We are aware of it. Because of the timing of the release the person who
normally creates the Windows binaries was already asleep. They should be up
a bit later today.

--
Skip Montanaro - (E-Mail Removed) - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

Francesco Guerrieri

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:23 AM, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> nneonneo> Hmm, I was looking forward to trying this out, but the Windows
> nneonneo> installer link
> nneonneo> (http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6/python-2.6.msi) is
> nneonneo> presently broken (as is the link for the 64-bit Windows
> nneonneo> version).
>
> We are aware of it. Because of the timing of the release the person who
> normally creates the Windows binaries was already asleep. They should be up
> a bit later today.

Surely you're joking!
Everybody knows that python developers never sleep
Congratulations for the final release!

Francesco

olive

> Surely you're joking!
> Everybody knows that python developers never sleep

Wrong! All my collegues are Java developers and I'm the only one who
sleep (and like a log).

Congratulations, by the way.

Olivier.

konstantin

On Oct 2, 7:46 am, Barry Warsaw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Congratulations!

Konstantin

Terry Reedy

nneonneo wrote:
> Hmm, I was looking forward to trying this out, but the Windows
> installer link (http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6/python-2.6.msi)
> is presently broken (as is the link for the 64-bit Windows version).
>
> While I'm at it, I might also point out that http://www.python.org/download/windows/
> is quite out-of-date. I don't really think it is worth promoting
> version 1.5.2 of Python (even if it is Python CE) if Python 3.0 is
> about to come out...
> --

From another page:
"If you wish to report a bug or to suggest an enhancement for the
python.org website, please send an e-mail message to <webmaster at
python dot org>.

If you're reporting a problem (a broken link, typo, formatting glitch),
please include the URL of the affected page. You can copy-and-paste the
URL from the location field of your browser. "

That said, the page begins with
"For many years, Python releases have included an excellent Windows
installer. See the individual releases for details."
whereas the rest is historical info for various platforms.
If 1.5.2 is the latest available for NT on Dec Alpha, why would you want
to erase the info? If the page is up-to-date, this tell anyone with
such a machine to not bother looking for anything newer.

If you are aware of anything out of date in the sense of having been
superceded, do write the webmaster.

tjr