Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Windows ME and wireless

Windows ME and wireless

skyman

Well who can recommend a wirless adapter for my old computer with WIN ME. I
tried the belkin usb adapter but couldn't get the drivers to work, it just
kept saying it couldn't detect the adapter. After messing with that for a
week i'm ready to try a different brand. Anyone have luck with another
type???

Big_Al

skyman wrote:
> Well who can recommend a wirless adapter for my old computer with WIN
> ME. I tried the belkin usb adapter but couldn't get the drivers to work,
> it just kept saying it couldn't detect the adapter. After messing with
> that for a week i'm ready to try a different brand. Anyone have luck
> with another type???

Win ME is going to be your problem. But I like Netgear and Linksys.
Can't specify an adapter, but I'd make sure the model supports ME.

Pavel A.

skyman wrote:
> Well who can recommend a wirless adapter for my old computer with WIN
> ME. I tried the belkin usb adapter but couldn't get the drivers to work,
> it just kept saying it couldn't detect the adapter. After messing with
> that for a week i'm ready to try a different brand. Anyone have luck
> with another type???

Try Ethernet-over-powerline adapters.
They are driverless, so work perfectly with any unsupported OS.

--PA

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
From a Network perspective you are better off downgrading to Win98se, or
upgrading to Win2000.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"skyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well who can recommend a wirless adapter for my old computer with WIN ME.
> I tried the belkin usb adapter but couldn't get the drivers to work, it
> just kept saying it couldn't detect the adapter. After messing with that
> for a week i'm ready to try a different brand. Anyone have luck with
> another type???

Pavel A.

Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
> Hi
> From a Network perspective you are better off downgrading to Win98se,
> or upgrading to Win2000.

.... or to Linux

--pa

Jake

skyman wrote:
> Well who can recommend a wirless adapter for my old computer with WIN
> ME. I tried the belkin usb adapter but couldn't get the drivers to
> work, it just kept saying it couldn't detect the adapter. After
> messing with that for a week i'm ready to try a different brand.
> Anyone have luck with another type???

I still have several D-Link DWL-500 PCI Wireless Adapters that I used with
my old ME System. The D-Link router died long ago but I upgraded to Linksys
that worked fine.

Jake

Joan Archer

In my WinME machine I have a Wireless LAN PCI Card by ADDON, the other name
on the box is Texas Instruments. That's been installed and working with no
problems for the last four years, the same make of card is installed in my
XP Home SP3 machine as well. The XP used to be my main machine connected via
Ethernet cable to my router, which is also an ADDON, but when I got a Vista
machine I used the Ethernet cable for that and put the wireless card into
the XP machine.
All three machines are happily working still <g>

--
Joan Archer
http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher