Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Site map?

Re: Site map?

Mark A. Boyd

Irina Rempt posted in alt.html:

> I'm not DLU, but I've been looking at Google (Atomz won't let me
> look without signing up) and I'd rather have a search function all
> my own that doesn't put ads on my site (well, on the results page;

You might like ZoomSearch
http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/

Free for up to 50 pages and a scaled pricing structure above 50.

--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin'

Irina Rempt

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

> Irina Rempt posted in alt.html:
>
>> I'm not DLU, but I've been looking at Google (Atomz won't let me
>> look without signing up) and I'd rather have a search function all
>> my own that doesn't put ads on my site (well, on the results page;

> You might like ZoomSearch
> http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/
>
> Free for up to 50 pages and a scaled pricing structure above 50.

I have 242 pages, which amazes me, I thought it was only about 150.

But I've found Master.com which does everything I want (even uses my own
style on results page) free up to 5,000 pages or 30 MB. The only
advertising they do is two vanishingly small logos on the results page. I
keep feeling there must be a catch, but so far I haven't found any.

Irina

--
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

dorayme

In article <Xns9B2DEA3C43538mblistssanDotrrcom@194.177.96.26> ,
"Mark A. Boyd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Irina Rempt posted in alt.html:
>
> > I'm not DLU, but I've been looking at Google (Atomz won't let me
> > look without signing up) and I'd rather have a search function all
> > my own that doesn't put ads on my site (well, on the results page;

> You might like ZoomSearch
> http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/
>
> Free for up to 50 pages and a scaled pricing structure above 50.

Thanks for suggesting this, I will take a look. 50 pages eh? I notice
the Standard edition ($49) is rather limited too, 100 pages. I bet no
one gets this, going rather for the $99 version that lifts the limits
considerably. I am yet to comprehend the significance of the lack of
"Console mode" and "Customizable User-Agent text" in this $99 version.

You get these last two features for $299.

(It always rather dismays me that people offering things for website
work, as this crowd do, seem not to know basic things like that they are
not the only ones to see their web page. In the above URL, you will see
that only the slightest font size adjustment besides very small will
start to make the page unreadable.)

--
dorayme

Irina Rempt

dorayme wrote:

> (It always rather dismays me that people offering things for website
> work, as this crowd do, seem not to know basic things like that they are
> not the only ones to see their web page. In the above URL, you will see
> that only the slightest font size adjustment besides very small will
> start to make the page unreadable.)

It always baffles me that when people start using CSS, the first thing they
do with it is make the font size unreadably small. At least that's what it
looks like to me. Granted, it does let you put more text on the page, but
all the "how to write for the web" guidelines seem to say that
less-is-more-- not that *I* want to dumb down my text for people without an
attention span.

Irina

--
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi Latest: 04-Oct-2008

dorayme

In article <48e862cb$0$198$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
Irina Rempt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > (It always rather dismays me that people offering things for website
> > work, as this crowd do, seem not to know basic things like that they are
> > not the only ones to see their web page. In the above URL, you will see
> > that only the slightest font size adjustment besides very small will
> > start to make the page unreadable.)

> It always baffles me that when people start using CSS, the first thing they
> do with it is make the font size unreadably small. At least that's what it
> looks like to me. Granted, it does let you put more text on the page, but
> all the "how to write for the web" guidelines seem to say that
> less-is-more-- not that *I* want to dumb down my text for people without an
> attention span.
>
> Irina

Please keep us informed about that other search engine you found, if you
see any downsides etc...

(I notice you have to sign in or up... I thought you weren't keen on
that sort of thing?)

--
dorayme

Irina Rempt

dorayme wrote:

> Please keep us informed about that other search engine you found, if you
> see any downsides etc...
>
> (I notice you have to sign in or up... I thought you weren't keen on
> that sort of thing?)

I'm not keen on having to sign up *before they will tell you anything*; this
one has extensive information outside the protected area. I'm completely
okay with having an account to actually do something, it's only that I get
suspicious when a company isn't upfront about what you're signing up *for*.

Irina

--
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi Latest: 04-Oct-2008

dorayme

In article <48e87314$0$189$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
Irina Rempt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > Please keep us informed about that other search engine you found, if you
> > see any downsides etc...
> >
> > (I notice you have to sign in or up... I thought you weren't keen on
> > that sort of thing?)

> I'm not keen on having to sign up *before they will tell you anything*; this
> one has extensive information outside the protected area. I'm completely
> okay with having an account to actually do something, it's only that I get
> suspicious when a company isn't upfront about what you're signing up *for*.

Well, OK... I guess...

They do say on their home page

"What's the catch?

There is none. Atomz really is free.
We support ourselves through
text-based advertisements."

and

"How do we do it for free? By creating a professional site search
solution delivered as a hosted service and supporting our costs through
text-based advertisements.
It's that simple."

I also said there are no bad consequences, I am dorayme, would I mislead
you? <g>

--
dorayme

Irina Rempt

dorayme wrote:

> In article <48e87314$0$189$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
> Irina Rempt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I'm not keen on having to sign up *before they will tell you anything*;
>> this one has extensive information outside the protected area. I'm
>> completely okay with having an account to actually do something, it's
>> only that I get suspicious when a company isn't upfront about what you're
>> signing up *for*.

> Well, OK... I guess...
>
> They do say on their home page
>
> "What's the catch?
>
> There is none. Atomz really is free.
> We support ourselves through
> text-based advertisements."

That's the catch, then: you get advertisements. And unlike Google, they
don't let you preview what the advertisements on your results page will
look like until you sign up.

> I also said there are no bad consequences,

Text-based advertisements, that I can't influence the content of, are a bad
consequence. Just "powered by X" when X is in fact powering it is okay;
that's not something I can't know in advance and there's little risk of it
clashing with my content.

> I am dorayme, would I mislead you? <g>

Not *mislead* me, no; but I'm perhaps a bit stricter in this than you are.

Irina

--
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore
http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi Latest: 04-Oct-2008

Mark A. Boyd

dorayme posted in alt.html:

> In article <Xns9B2DEA3C43538mblistssanDotrrcom@194.177.96.26> ,
> "Mark A. Boyd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Irina Rempt posted in alt.html:
>>
>> > I'm not DLU, but I've been looking at Google (Atomz won't let
>> > me look without signing up) and I'd rather have a search
>> > function all my own that doesn't put ads on my site (well, on
>> > the results page;

>> You might like ZoomSearch
>> http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/
>>
>> Free for up to 50 pages and a scaled pricing structure above 50.

> Thanks for suggesting this, I will take a look. 50 pages eh? I
> notice the Standard edition ($49) is rather limited too, 100
> pages. I bet no one gets this, going rather for the $99 version
> that lifts the limits considerably. I am yet to comprehend the
> significance of the lack of "Console mode" and "Customizable
> User-Agent text" in this $99 version.
>
> You get these last two features for $299.

Yea, I only dabbled with it for my rather humble, woefully neglected
personal site of far fewer than 50 pages.

> (It always rather dismays me that people offering things for
> website work, as this crowd do, seem not to know basic things like
> that they are not the only ones to see their web page. In the
> above URL, you will see that only the slightest font size
> adjustment besides very small will start to make the page
> unreadable.)

Indeed. Something I noticed as well.

--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin'

wrensoft@gmail.com

Hi dorayme,

On Oct 5, 5:31*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <Xns9B2DEA3C43538mblistssanDotrr...@194.177.96.26> ,
> *"Mark A. Boyd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > You might like ZoomSearch
> >http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/

> > Free for up to 50 pages and a scaled pricing structure above 50.

> Thanks for suggesting this, I will take a look. 50 pages eh? I notice
> the Standard edition ($49) is rather limited too, 100 pages. I bet no
> one gets this, going rather for the $99 version that lifts the limits
> considerably. I am yet to comprehend the significance of the lack of
> "Console mode" and "Customizable User-Agent text" in this $99 version.
> You get these last two features for $299.

"Console mode" is only desirable for developers who are embedding the
indexer within their own scripts or web applications.

"Customizable User-agent text" allows you to change how the Spider
identifies itself. Again, really only for high-end users such as those
setting up their own search portals.

Neither of these are really the main selling features of the
Enterprise Edition, as more the icing on the cake. The Professional
Edition ($99) is limited to 200,000 pages, while the Enterprise
Edition ($299) goes up to a million pages.

More details here:
http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/editions.html

> (It always rather dismays me that people offering things for

website
> work, as this crowd do, seem not to know basic things like that they are
> not the only ones to see their web page. In the above URL, you will see
> that only the slightest font size adjustment besides very small will
> start to make the page unreadable.)

I can't say we can see this behaviour over here, and we've checked on
IE7, Firefox 3, Opera 9 and Google Chrome.
Are you on a Mac? Which browser(s) are you using?

Let us know and we'll check on it.

BTW - we're aussies too and located in Sydney.

Regards,
Wrensoft