Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Incredibly cheap 16GB CF card from Fry's!!!!

Incredibly cheap 16GB CF card from Fry's!!!!

Cynicor

....is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

Blinky the Shark

Cynicor wrote:

> ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

What brand -- one you'd ever heard of before?

Blinky loves Fry's.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

ray

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:34:09 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

> ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

Like you said CHEAP!

ASAAR

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:34:09 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

> ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

It's Fried. That should have been expected, eh?

phil-news-nospam@ipal.net

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:34:09 -0400 Cynicor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

| ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

If you have a Linux rescue CD or live CD, you can try some steps with Linux
tools that may help. You'll need an appropriate CF adaptor for the computer
to do this. An IDE to CF will most likely need to have the CF card plugged
in at power-up, and stay in until after power-down. A USB to CF will allow
you to hot plug safely. Steps I would follow to fix this begin with the "dd"
command completely clear every active sector. Then I would run "fdisk" to
make a new partition table, after checking that the hardware geometry info is
at least consistent. That would record the geometry into the MBR correctly.

I don't know of what tools on MS Windows would do this, if any.

David J Taylor

[]
> I don't know of what tools on MS Windows would do this, if any.

If the CF is faulty, NO tools are going to make it work again. The OP
needs to get the card refunded, and buy a more trustworthy brand next
time. SanDisk, Lexar, any others? I hope not too many pictures were
lost.

David

Blinky the Shark

David J Taylor wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> []
>> I don't know of what tools on MS Windows would do this, if any.

> If the CF is faulty, NO tools are going to make it work again. The OP
> needs to get the card refunded, and buy a more trustworthy brand next
> time. SanDisk, Lexar, any others? I hope not too many pictures were
> lost.

What's the scoop on PNY? A few years ago they popped up at Fry's, and now
they seem rather ubiquitous. Reputation good? Reputation bad?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Pete D

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48e3dec8$0$5644$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

WTF!!!

Why would you buy a D300 and then feed it with memory like that, like buying
a big fat 4WD and putting bald tyres on it and then trying to climb a
mountain, pretty dumb thing to do I would say.

Pete D

news(E-Mail Removed) ynet.net...
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> []
>>> I don't know of what tools on MS Windows would do this, if any.

>> If the CF is faulty, NO tools are going to make it work again. The OP
>> needs to get the card refunded, and buy a more trustworthy brand next
>> time. SanDisk, Lexar, any others? I hope not too many pictures were
>> lost.

> What's the scoop on PNY? A few years ago they popped up at Fry's, and now
> they seem rather ubiquitous. Reputation good? Reputation bad?

Probably about the same as Transecend, reasonable price but seem to do the
job in my experience with them.

Cynicor

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>
>> ...is now giving me a CHA error on my D300, and won't format.

> What brand -- one you'd ever heard of before?
>
> Blinky loves Fry's.

Ridata 16GB 233x.

I love Fry's too. I just have to figure out how to reformat my card now.