Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to get rid of this baby???

How to get rid of this baby???

joevan

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:31:45 +0100, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:51:45 +0100, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> Format and re-install
>>>
>>> I'll get me coat.

>> He already did that. Read it again.

>It was a joke you tw*t. Read it again.

Now I am laughing. Ha Ha.

chuckcar

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi guys,
>
> I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
> hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.
>
> I had a PC, which amongst other things, was showing fake BSOD messages
> and pretending to restart. I tried several things to try to get rid of
> this including:
>
> 1. Spybot SD in safe mode
> 2. Malware Antibytes in Safe Mode
> 3. Installed Kaspersky IS 9
> 4. Repair Install
>
> Nothing I did seemed to fix it. Anyone know how to?

Put a clean boot CD in the drive, Power down, power up, go *immediately*
into the bios, reset bios defaults. Set boot order to be the CD first,
exit the bios, boot to command prompt. remove *all* partition(s), create
new partition(s), rewrite the boot sector, format partitions, switch to
the install CD for XP? and install XP(?). Sorry, but without knowing what
OS we're dealing with, more detail is impossible.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Oldus Fartus

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> The malware is likely to be anti-virus 2008 oe 2009.
>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> Oldus Fartus

> The other thing I should mention is that this does not seem to be a
> registry hook. The fake BSOD and fake restart happens during the part
> of the boot process where Windows Logo is displayed. Which I assume
> means that this spyware or whatever has infected a core windows system
> file????

There is a fair bit written about it, have a look at
http://www.spywareremove.com/removeAntivirus2009.html for manual removal.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
> hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.

How did you conclude that the BSOD messages were fake???

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

On Oct 2, 4:46*pm, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
> > hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.

> How did you conclude that the BSOD messages were fake???
>
> --http://www.bootdisk.com/

Because the BSOD is displayed for about 3 seconds, then the screen is
black for two seconds, then XP logo again then a new BSOD. If it was
really a BSOD and PC was set to restart automatically (a) it would
never be displayed for 3 seconds it would be more like 1, and if it
did restart I would see the BIOS screen etc etc etc...

-Al

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

On Oct 2, 10:56*am, Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> The malware is likely to be anti-virus 2008 oe 2009.

> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> Oldus Fartus

> > The other thing I should mention is that this does not seem to be a
> > registry hook. The fake BSOD and fake restart happens during the part
> > of the boot process where Windows Logo is displayed. Which I assume
> > means that this spyware or whatever has infected a core windows system
> > file????

> There is a fair bit written about it, have a look athttp://www.spywareremove.com/removeAntivirus2009.htmlfor manual removal.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Oldus Fartus

Thanks, but that website never mentions BSOD as a symptom?

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > I have given up and formatted this PC already, but I would love to
> > > hear from anyone who can tell me how to fix this for future reference.

> > How did you conclude that the BSOD messages were fake???

> Because the BSOD is displayed for about 3 seconds, then the screen is
> black for two seconds, then XP logo again then a new BSOD. If it was

Which means the BSODs are NOT fake.

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#6

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Oldus Fartus

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Oct 2, 10:56 am, Oldus Fartus <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>> The other thing I should mention is that this does not seem to be a
>>> registry hook. The fake BSOD and fake restart happens during the part
>>> of the boot process where Windows Logo is displayed. Which I assume
>>> means that this spyware or whatever has infected a core windows system
>>> file????

>> There is a fair bit written about it, have a look athttp://www.spywareremove.com/removeAntivirus2009.htmlfor manual removal.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Oldus Fartus

> Thanks, but that website never mentions BSOD as a symptom?

It isn't really a BSOD, but a screensaver which appears to show a BSOD,
then appears to show the computer restarting. If you hit a key during
either the BSOD or the bios display process, the Windows desktop
appears. It also blocks access to any of the Anti-virus sites, and
gives an error message that your anti-virus program has been disabled.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus