Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Wait or not?

Wait or not?

Eric

I've been wanting to learn Python for a while now but I can't decide
on whether to wait for Python 3's final release and learn it or just
go ahead and learn 2.x. Would it be hard to make the transition being
a noob?

Matimus

On Sep 30, 4:20*pm, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've been wanting to learn Python for a while now but I can't decide
> on whether to wait for Python 3's final release and learn it or just
> go ahead and learn 2.x. Would it be hard to make the transition being
> a noob?

It shouldn't be a hard transition. I would recommend learning 2.x
anyway. You are likely to want to use 3rd party modules (or you will
anyway). You won't want to wait for module support to be added in 3.0.
The 2.x series isn't going to go away for quite a while. I think they
are planning to continue to do releases all the way up to 2.9 or so.
Even then, the biggest thing that a new user is going to run into is
`print("stuff")` vs. `print "stuff"`.

Matt

Asun Friere

On Oct 1, 9:20 am, Eric <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've been wanting to learn Python for a while now but I can't decide
> on whether to wait for Python 3's final release and learn it or just
> go ahead and learn 2.x. Would it be hard to make the transition being
> a noob?

If you only want to learn why do you need to wait for py3.0's final
release? Get the rc1 and start learning now. On the other hand if
you want to write production code get 2.5 and start writing now, most
of what you'll learn between now and the final release of 3.0 will not
change.

RMA'd HD and now A One Month Wait??? werty316 Hardware 48 07-12-2005 10:20 PM
Wait on... VHDL User VHDL 2 08-30-2004 07:36 PM
I Better wait till version 1 Colonel Blip Firefox 7 07-12-2004 10:37 PM
Wait for MS Project to close Taras Pich ASP .Net 4 04-30-2004 04:48 PM
How to make "fork/wait" to WAIT longer? Huey C Programming 1 03-01-2004 02:01 PM

Advertisments