Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Webcam Drivers

Webcam Drivers

Jim Morrison

Hello,

I am having problems installing my USB2.0 PC Camera on my Vista x64
Ultimate. Apparently there are no 64-bit Vista drivers available, only Vista
32, so my question is if it is by any means possible to install the 32-bit
driver as my understanding is that Vista x64 should still be able to run
32-bit software? The Vista 32-bit driver installs fully when I run it, with
a note that the driver cannot be verified, but when I plug the cam in the
system cannot recognise cam.

Another option would be to try and run the XP driver in XP compatibility
mode, would that be possible? And finally, is there a generic webcam 64-bit
driver I could try installing?

Thx!

Bobby Johnson

No, it won't work. You must have 64-bit drivers for any of
the 64-bit version of Windows. If the manufacturer/vendor
does not provide drivers for Vista x64, then you cannot use
the camera in Vista x64.

Contact the manufacturer/vendor fo the needed drivers.

32-bit software and 32-bit drivers are 2 entirely different
animals. Yes, Vista x64 should run most 32-bit software,
but 32-bit drivers cannot be installed in Vista x64.

Jim Morrison wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having problems installing my USB2.0 PC Camera on my Vista x64
> Ultimate. Apparently there are no 64-bit Vista drivers available, only Vista
> 32, so my question is if it is by any means possible to install the 32-bit
> driver as my understanding is that Vista x64 should still be able to run
> 32-bit software? The Vista 32-bit driver installs fully when I run it, with
> a note that the driver cannot be verified, but when I plug the cam in the
> system cannot recognise cam.
>
> Another option would be to try and run the XP driver in XP compatibility
> mode, would that be possible? And finally, is there a generic webcam 64-bit
> driver I could try installing?
>
> Thx!

Carlos

Jim,
No 32-bit driver will work on any 64-bit flavor of Windows.
All that being said...
Which is your camera (make, model)?
Sometimes you will find drivers for identical cameras labeled differently by
another manufacturer.
I mean, same electronics inside, different styling/naming in the outside.
If you feel like investigating, open the *.inf file of your camera driver
set and look for the vendor id (VEN) and device info (DEV).
They are both 4 digit hexadecimal numbers representing the real manufacturer
of the chipset and its type.
With that info in your hand you might try searching the web for equivalent
web cams.
Not a very easy task, but doable.
Best of luck.
Carlos

"Jim Morrison" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having problems installing my USB2.0 PC Camera on my Vista x64
> Ultimate. Apparently there are no 64-bit Vista drivers available, only Vista
> 32, so my question is if it is by any means possible to install the 32-bit
> driver as my understanding is that Vista x64 should still be able to run
> 32-bit software? The Vista 32-bit driver installs fully when I run it, with
> a note that the driver cannot be verified, but when I plug the cam in the
> system cannot recognise cam.
>
> Another option would be to try and run the XP driver in XP compatibility
> mode, would that be possible? And finally, is there a generic webcam 64-bit
> driver I could try installing?
>
> Thx!

S.SubZero

On Sep 30, 6:47*am, "Jim Morrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having problems installing my USB2.0 PC Camera on my Vista x64

What brand webcam is it? Mine identifies itself as a USB2.0 webcam,
it's a STK-1135, and there is a Vista x64 driver for it.

Jim Morrison

"S.SubZero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Sep 30, 6:47 am, "Jim Morrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having problems installing my USB2.0 PC Camera on my Vista x64

What brand webcam is it? Mine identifies itself as a USB2.0 webcam,
it's a STK-1135, and there is a Vista x64 driver for it.

Hi, well it identifies as USB2.0 PC Camera, i bought it via ebay, small
laptop webcam with 6-led night vision, there is no manufacturer logo or ID
anywhere but I found on the net that it is SU20 produced by Shenzhen Sundah
Technology Co., Limited...

Carlos

Jim,
Here's the web page for your camera:
http://www.sundah.com/product/en/pro...ail.asp?id=105
They claim Vista support.
There are no links for downloading drivers but you may want to contact them
using the info in that page.
Carlos