Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Please recommend a good free firewall alternative to Vista firewall (not Comodo)

Re: Please recommend a good free firewall alternative to Vista firewall (not Comodo)

XS11E

"ftran999" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have recently built a new PC with Vista 64bit Home Basic as my
> OS. When the build was finished, the first thing I did was go
> online to find a free firewall program for it. Comodo seemed to
> be the most recommended. However, I decided I didn't like it
> because it's such a resource hog. It was using in some cases over
> 50% of the CPU. So I uninstalled it and am currently using the
> Windows Firewall built into Vista. However, I'm not too confident
> in the security of WF.

The Windows firewall works very well both inbound and outbound but,
unfortunately, the default configuration is not optimal and it's almost
impossible to manually configure for most of us. There is a solution
called Vista Firewall Control:

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

Click the "download and buy" link and get the free version, it will do
what most need done.

NOTE: It's not a firewall, it's a utility that helps users configure
the Vista firewall.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

XS11E

"ftran999" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> " There is a solution
>> called Vista Firewall Control:
>>
>> http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
>>
>> Click the "download and buy" link and get the free version, it
>> will do what most need done.
>>
>> NOTE: It's not a firewall, it's a utility that helps users
>> configure the Vista firewall.

> Believe it or not, I was going to post that I did find a program
> called Vista Firewall Control. I've got it up and running and
> find it to be very helpful.

Great, glad it working for you!