Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > FFDShow - MMS or SSE?

FFDShow - MMS or SSE?

Tony Sperling

I'm about to download for the 64bit XP system, anybody know about these
alternatives?

Tony. . .

Carlos

MMS or SSE is only used when ffdshow does post-processing, i.e., when you add
effects to the video.
You can have both x86 and x64 versions living together in your Windows x64
installation.
x86 players will use ffdshow x86
x64 players will use ffdshow x64
You don't have WMP x64 in Windows XP x64 so you may skip ffdshow x64.
I always use the "clsid" builds downloadable here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=199416
The generic builds don't use the processor extra features for post-processing.
icl10 builds use SSE instructions.
64-bit builds are just those, x64 builds that can be used (also in Windows
XP x64) with the 64 bit version of Media Player Classic (not WMP).
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=170561
Enjoy.
Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> I'm about to download for the 64bit XP system, anybody know about these
> alternatives?
>

> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Oh! - The post processing - thanks for clearing that!

I usually download from free-codecs.com, but the site seem to have changed a
bit and there is no mention of any bitness varieties.

This is where I am at the moment:

http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm

I guess the plain vanilla version at the top should suit me fine for now - I
do not think I am using any 64bit players at all, everything seems to work
just fine with standard MPC.

If anyone remember 'Ginger Baker' (drummer of Cream!), just today I managed
to lay my hands on a DVD - an old film, "Ginger Baker in Africa', that I saw
on TV almost 40 years ago, one heck of a 'Road Movie' - can't wait to fire
that one up.

(How time flies!)

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MMS or SSE is only used when ffdshow does post-processing, i.e., when you
> add
> effects to the video.
> You can have both x86 and x64 versions living together in your Windows x64
> installation.
> x86 players will use ffdshow x86
> x64 players will use ffdshow x64
> You don't have WMP x64 in Windows XP x64 so you may skip ffdshow x64.
> I always use the "clsid" builds downloadable here:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=199416
> The generic builds don't use the processor extra features for
> post-processing.
> icl10 builds use SSE instructions.
> 64-bit builds are just those, x64 builds that can be used (also in Windows
> XP x64) with the 64 bit version of Media Player Classic (not WMP).
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=170561
> Enjoy.
> Carlos
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> I'm about to download for the 64bit XP system, anybody know about these
>> alternatives?
>>

>> Tony. . .

Carlos

Tony,
You are Ok with that version, that's the one I used to download.
Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Oh! - The post processing - thanks for clearing that!
>
> I usually download from free-codecs.com, but the site seem to have changed a
> bit and there is no mention of any bitness varieties.
>
> This is where I am at the moment:
>
> http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm
>
> I guess the plain vanilla version at the top should suit me fine for now - I
> do not think I am using any 64bit players at all, everything seems to work
> just fine with standard MPC.
>
> If anyone remember 'Ginger Baker' (drummer of Cream!), just today I managed
> to lay my hands on a DVD - an old film, "Ginger Baker in Africa', that I saw
> on TV almost 40 years ago, one heck of a 'Road Movie' - can't wait to fire
> that one up.
>
> (How time flies!)
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > MMS or SSE is only used when ffdshow does post-processing, i.e., when you
> > add
> > effects to the video.
> > You can have both x86 and x64 versions living together in your Windows x64
> > installation.
> > x86 players will use ffdshow x86
> > x64 players will use ffdshow x64
> > You don't have WMP x64 in Windows XP x64 so you may skip ffdshow x64.
> > I always use the "clsid" builds downloadable here:
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=199416
> > The generic builds don't use the processor extra features for
> > post-processing.
> > icl10 builds use SSE instructions.
> > 64-bit builds are just those, x64 builds that can be used (also in Windows
> > XP x64) with the 64 bit version of Media Player Classic (not WMP).
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=170561
> > Enjoy.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm about to download for the 64bit XP system, anybody know about these
> >> alternatives?
> >>

> >> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Good! It's all done now. See if it works tomorrow.

And thank you!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony,
> You are Ok with that version, that's the one I used to download.
> Carlos
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> Oh! - The post processing - thanks for clearing that!
>>
>> I usually download from free-codecs.com, but the site seem to have
>> changed a
>> bit and there is no mention of any bitness varieties.
>>
>> This is where I am at the moment:
>>
>> http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm
>>
>> I guess the plain vanilla version at the top should suit me fine for
>> now - I
>> do not think I am using any 64bit players at all, everything seems to
>> work
>> just fine with standard MPC.
>>
>> If anyone remember 'Ginger Baker' (drummer of Cream!), just today I
>> managed
>> to lay my hands on a DVD - an old film, "Ginger Baker in Africa', that I
>> saw
>> on TV almost 40 years ago, one heck of a 'Road Movie' - can't wait to
>> fire
>> that one up.
>>
>> (How time flies!)
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > MMS or SSE is only used when ffdshow does post-processing, i.e., when
>> > you
>> > add
>> > effects to the video.
>> > You can have both x86 and x64 versions living together in your Windows
>> > x64
>> > installation.
>> > x86 players will use ffdshow x86
>> > x64 players will use ffdshow x64
>> > You don't have WMP x64 in Windows XP x64 so you may skip ffdshow x64.
>> > I always use the "clsid" builds downloadable here:
>> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=199416
>> > The generic builds don't use the processor extra features for
>> > post-processing.
>> > icl10 builds use SSE instructions.
>> > 64-bit builds are just those, x64 builds that can be used (also in
>> > Windows
>> > XP x64) with the 64 bit version of Media Player Classic (not WMP).
>> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=170561
>> > Enjoy.
>> > Carlos

Carlos

Tony,
Did it work?
Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Good! It's all done now. See if it works tomorrow.
>
> And thank you!
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Tony,
> > You are Ok with that version, that's the one I used to download.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
> >
> >> Oh! - The post processing - thanks for clearing that!
> >>
> >> I usually download from free-codecs.com, but the site seem to have
> >> changed a
> >> bit and there is no mention of any bitness varieties.
> >>
> >> This is where I am at the moment:
> >>
> >> http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm
> >>
> >> I guess the plain vanilla version at the top should suit me fine for
> >> now - I
> >> do not think I am using any 64bit players at all, everything seems to
> >> work
> >> just fine with standard MPC.
> >>
> >> If anyone remember 'Ginger Baker' (drummer of Cream!), just today I
> >> managed
> >> to lay my hands on a DVD - an old film, "Ginger Baker in Africa', that I
> >> saw
> >> on TV almost 40 years ago, one heck of a 'Road Movie' - can't wait to
> >> fire
> >> that one up.
> >>
> >> (How time flies!)
> >>

> >> Tony. . .
> >>

> >> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tony Sperling

Ah, I have been terribly busy and did not test it yet. The fact is that the
little home, back home, has been invaded by an army of 'Kramers' (. .
..Seinfeld, you know?) tearing out the bath and throne + half the kitchen -
and I mean right down to the concrete - it's all gone!

The plans look very good, but they'll be at it for at least two months, so
it has better be good, I want them out by Christmas, or I'll flip my lid!

ARRRGH!

Now they've all gone for the night and I'll have some time to clear away a
little correspondance! Right now I'm listening to Ry Cooder playing some
Salvation Army music thaat auto-started in Windows Media Player so I cannot
really say right now. I'm not worried, it should work as usual, I'll just
need to get my (sh*t) together in the midst of all this.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony,
> Did it work?
> Carlos
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> Good! It's all done now. See if it works tomorrow.
>>
>> And thank you!
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Tony,
>> > You are Ok with that version, that's the one I used to download.
>> > Carlos

Carlos

That reminds me of a Tom Hanks movie, when his house was invaded by masons
and other craftsmen whose deadline was always "two weeks" ahead.
Hope your "two months" will be in target!
Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Ah, I have been terribly busy and did not test it yet. The fact is that the
> little home, back home, has been invaded by an army of 'Kramers' (. .
> ..Seinfeld, you know?) tearing out the bath and throne + half the kitchen -
> and I mean right down to the concrete - it's all gone!
>
> The plans look very good, but they'll be at it for at least two months, so
> it has better be good, I want them out by Christmas, or I'll flip my lid!
>
> ARRRGH!
>
> Now they've all gone for the night and I'll have some time to clear away a
> little correspondance! Right now I'm listening to Ry Cooder playing some
> Salvation Army music thaat auto-started in Windows Media Player so I cannot
> really say right now. I'm not worried, it should work as usual, I'll just
> need to get my (sh*t) together in the midst of all this.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Tony,
> > Did it work?
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
> >
> >> Good! It's all done now. See if it works tomorrow.
> >>
> >> And thank you!
> >>

> >> Tony. . .
> >>

> >> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

R. C. White

Hi, Carlos.

Ah, yes. "The Money Pit"! Delightful movie, but not fun for those
homeowners!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> That reminds me of a Tom Hanks movie, when his house was invaded by masons
> and other craftsmen whose deadline was always "two weeks" ahead.
> Hope your "two months" will be in target!
> Carlos
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
>> Ah, I have been terribly busy and did not test it yet. The fact is that
>> the
>> little home, back home, has been invaded by an army of 'Kramers' (. .
>> ..Seinfeld, you know?) tearing out the bath and throne + half the
>> kitchen -
>> and I mean right down to the concrete - it's all gone!
>>
>> The plans look very good, but they'll be at it for at least two months,
>> so
>> it has better be good, I want them out by Christmas, or I'll flip my lid!
>>
>> ARRRGH!
>>
>> Now they've all gone for the night and I'll have some time to clear away
>> little correspondance! Right now I'm listening to Ry Cooder playing some
>> Salvation Army music thaat auto-started in Windows Media Player so I
>> cannot
>> really say right now. I'm not worried, it should work as usual, I'll just
>> need to get my (sh*t) together in the midst of all this.
>>

>> Tony. . .

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Tony,
>> > Did it work?
>> > Carlos

<SNIP all the stuff before this digression>

Tony Sperling

Yes, Carlos - I find it natural to like TH. I have seen quite a number of
his films, but I've missed that one. When I have this (let's call it
'experience') behind me I shall make an effort to remember watching it.

And thanks to RC for coming up with the title, when you're doing overseas
shoping you never know what they end up calling it!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...