Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Struts for swing

Struts for swing

kapkan

Are there frameworks for swing-based applications on similarity of
struts for web?

Jan Thom

On 2008-09-29 20:09:02 +0200, kapkan <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Are there frameworks for swing-based applications on similarity of
> struts for web?

That is a trick question isn't it? How could someone possibly even try
to bring something so inherently broken as Struts to a Swing
application? That's like shooting your own foot and hitting the knee
in the process.

For coding Swing I can recommend the JGoodies libraries especially
their Binding stuff is very helpful, though it's not exactly the best
documented thing on earth. There are some tutorials out there, and the
learning curve is pretty high imho, but at the end of the day it's
worth the time. Have a look here.
http://www.jgoodies.com/downloads/libraries.html

Jan

Arne Vajhj

Jan Thom wrote:
> That is a trick question isn't it? How could someone possibly even try
> to bring something so inherently broken as Struts to a Swing
> application? That's like shooting your own foot and hitting the knee in
> the process.

Given the task of creating a web application that look and feel
like a web application, then Struts does a pretty good job.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Lew wrote:
> Jan Thomä wrote:
>>> That is a trick question isn't it? How could someone possibly even
>>> try to bring something so inherently broken as Struts to a Swing
>>> application? That's like shooting your own foot and hitting the knee
>>> in the process.

> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> Given the task of creating a web application that look and feel
>> like a web application, then Struts does a pretty good job.

> Struts is a perfectly adequate framework for a web app, and a
> straightforward implementation of the "Model 2" MVC architecture. Its
> dangers come from two sources - obsolescent tags relative to the JSTL
> and misuse by practitioners who expect Struts to do all the work for
> them. In good hands Struts relieves the developer of much of the burden
> of stringing together a web app, and is somewhat easier to manage and
> configure than some others.

Struts is designed around the traditional web app approach. I like
that approach. But unfortunately users do not. They prefer the
fact client look and feel. And for that JSF is a much better
fit than Struts.

Arne