Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > burning DVD from video files

burning DVD from video files

lynx

How do I burn a DVD from a folder on a hard drive? - the one with the
video_ts and audio_ts files? Nero doesn't want to know. thanks,

Rod Speed

lynx <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> How do I burn a DVD from a folder on a hard drive? - the one with the video_ts and audio_ts files? Nero doesn't want
> to know.

Thats just the completely ****ed Nero UI. Use something with a better UI.

Swampfox

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> lynx <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> How do I burn a DVD from a folder on a hard
>> drive? - the one with the video_ts and audio_ts
>> files? Nero doesn't want to know.

> Thats just the completely ****ed Nero UI. Use
> something with a better UI.

Nonsense.
Nero is fine so long as the user has a couple of
functioning neurones and uses Burning Rom instead of
the Start Smart rubbish.
In this case select DVD Video from the drop down list
then drag the files from the video_ts folder in the
right pane of the browser window into the video_ts
folder in the left pane and click burn, the audio_ts
folders are all but redundant these days.
Couldn't be simpler.
Of course all this will be useless if the files won't
fit on a single layer DVD and that is what the OP is
trying to burn, in that case he will need to use Nero
Recode, DVD Shrink or similar or burn to a dual layer
DVD.

Rod Speed

Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> lynx <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> How do I burn a DVD from a folder on a hard
>>> drive? - the one with the video_ts and audio_ts
>>> files? Nero doesn't want to know.

>> Thats just the completely ****ed Nero UI. Use something with a better UI.

> Nonsense.

Fact.

Its clearly got a completely ****ed UI if something as basic as that isnt obvious.

> In this case select DVD Video from the drop down list
> then drag the files from the video_ts folder in the
> right pane of the browser window into the video_ts
> folder in the left pane and click burn, the audio_ts
> folders are all but redundant these days.
> Couldn't be simpler.

Its clearly got a completely ****ed UI if something as basic as that isnt obvious.

> Of course all this will be useless if the files won't
> fit on a single layer DVD and that is what the OP is
> trying to burn, in that case he will need to use Nero
> Recode, DVD Shrink or similar or burn to a dual layer DVD.

A decent UI would offer those alternatives auto if it wont fit.

Swampfox

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> lynx <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Thats just the completely ****ed Nero UI. Use
>>> something with a better UI.

>> Nonsense.

> Fact.

Nope, opinion.
I've been using Nero for years, it's an excellent
program although the "Nero Scout" crap that it's been
installing by default in versions 7 and 8 is junk.
Easily disabled though.

>> Nero is fine so long as the user has a couple of
>> functioning neurones and uses Burning Rom instead
>> of the Start Smart rubbish.

> Its clearly got a completely ****ed UI if something
> as basic as that isnt obvious.

If you want a nice UI then Start Smart is OK for
newbies and blonks.
The rest of us have a clue and can use Nero as easy as
ABC.

>> In this case select DVD Video from the drop down
>> list
>> then drag the files from the video_ts folder in the
>> right pane of the browser window into the video_ts
>> folder in the left pane and click burn, the
>> audio_ts
>> folders are all but redundant these days.
>> Couldn't be simpler.

> Its clearly got a completely ****ed UI if something
> as basic as that isnt obvious.

It is obvious, and if it isn't to some there's a
button labelled Help.

>> Of course all this will be useless if the files
>> won't
>> fit on a single layer DVD and that is what the OP
>> is
>> trying to burn, in that case he will need to use
>> Nero
>> Recode, DVD Shrink or similar or burn to a dual
>> layer DVD.

> A decent UI would offer those alternatives auto if
> it wont fit.

As far as I know the only programs that do this
automatically are dedicated DVD burning programs like
DVD Fab and Clone DVD, which the OP would probably be
better served using.
Nero does much more than burn DVD video but if you
know what you're doing you can do it with Nero
anyway..

Rod Speed

Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Nonsense.

>> Fact.

> Nope, opinion.

Nope, fact. If someone like that who is quite capable of doing most things, cant
work out how to do something as basic as that, the UI is ****ed by definition.

Even a ****ed UI can be usable by trial and error, stupid.

>>> Nero is fine so long as the user has a couple of functioning neurones and uses Burning Rom instead of the Start
>>> Smart rubbish.

>> Its clearly got a completely ****ed UI if something as basic as that isnt obvious.

> If you want a nice UI then Start Smart is OK for newbies and blonks.
> The rest of us have a clue and can use Nero as easy as ABC.

How odd that it clearly wasnt for him.

Another one couldnt even work out how to do something as basic as write a data DVD for backup.

>>> In this case select DVD Video from the drop down list
>>> then drag the files from the video_ts folder in the
>>> right pane of the browser window into the video_ts
>>> folder in the left pane and click burn, the audio_ts
>>> folders are all but redundant these days.
>>> Couldn't be simpler.

>> Its clearly got a completely ****ed UI if something as basic as that isnt obvious.

> It is obvious, and if it isn't to some there's a button labelled Help.

Which doesnt even tell you now to do what he asked about.

All it does is list again whats obvious from the UI in the first place.

>>> Of course all this will be useless if the files won't fit on a single layer DVD and that is what the OP is trying to
>>> burn, in that case he will need to use Nero Recode, DVD Shrink or similar or burn to a dual layer DVD.

>> A decent UI would offer those alternatives auto if it wont fit.

> As far as I know the only programs that do this automatically are dedicated DVD burning programs like DVD Fab and
> Clone DVD,

You need to get out more.

> which the OP would probably be better served using.
> Nero does much more than burn DVD video but if you
> know what you're doing you can do it with Nero anyway..

Yes, but you shouldnt have to know what you are doing, the UI
should make it obvious how to do something as basic as that.

Swampfox

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Fact.

>> Nope, opinion.

> Nope, fact. If someone like that who is quite
> capable of doing most things, cant
> work out how to do something as basic as that, the
> UI is ****ed by definition.
>
>> I've been using Nero for years, it's an excellent
>> program although the "Nero Scout" crap that it's
>> been installing by default in versions 7 and 8 is
>> junk. Easily disabled though.

> Even a ****ed UI can be usable by trial and error,
> stupid.

>>> Its clearly got a completely ****ed UI if
>>> something as basic as that isnt obvious.

>> If you want a nice UI then Start Smart is OK for
>> newbies and blonks.
>> The rest of us have a clue and can use Nero as easy
>> as ABC.

> How odd that it clearly wasnt for him.
>
> Another one couldnt even work out how to do
> something as basic as write a data DVD for backup.

>>> Its clearly got a completely ****ed UI if
>>> something as basic as that isnt obvious.

>> It is obvious, and if it isn't to some there's a
>> button labelled Help.

> Which doesnt even tell you now to do what he asked
> about.
>
> All it does is list again whats obvious from the UI
> in the first place.

>>> A decent UI would offer those alternatives auto if
>>> it wont fit.

>> As far as I know the only programs that do this
>> automatically are dedicated DVD burning programs
>> like DVD Fab and Clone DVD,

> You need to get out more.
>
>> which the OP would probably be better served using.
>> Nero does much more than burn DVD video but if you
>> know what you're doing you can do it with Nero
>> anyway..

> Yes, but you shouldnt have to know what you are
> doing, the UI
> should make it obvious how to do something as basic
> as that.

There are computer users and computer users.
I have no idea what level of expertise the OP has but
some tasks require more knowledge than others.
If the DVD files in question would fit on a garden
variety 4.7Gb blank DVD and that is all he has then
Nero Start Smart will do what he requires
automatically.
If he is using a dual layer blank then the same
applies.
If, as I suspect, the files are too large for a single
layer DVD and that's what he's trying to write then he
must either get hold of a dual layer DVD or compress
the files, either way it's not difficult but requires
some limited knowledge.
In any case Nero would have informed him that the
files were too large for the disc if that was the case
so I'm baffled by the "Nero doesn't want to know"
comment.
You obviously don't care for Nero which is fair enough
but as I said earlier I've been using it for many
years with no problems at all and I find it very
reliable and easy to use.
To each their own I guess.

Rod Speed

Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Nope, opinion.

>> Nope, fact. If someone like that who is quite
>> capable of doing most things, cant
>> work out how to do something as basic as that, the
>> UI is ****ed by definition.
>>
>>> I've been using Nero for years, it's an excellent
>>> program although the "Nero Scout" crap that it's
>>> been installing by default in versions 7 and 8 is
>>> junk. Easily disabled though.

>> Even a ****ed UI can be usable by trial and error,
>> stupid.

>>> If you want a nice UI then Start Smart is OK for
>>> newbies and blonks.
>>> The rest of us have a clue and can use Nero as easy
>>> as ABC.

>> How odd that it clearly wasnt for him.
>>
>> Another one couldnt even work out how to do
>> something as basic as write a data DVD for backup.

>>> It is obvious, and if it isn't to some there's a
>>> button labelled Help.

>> Which doesnt even tell you now to do what he asked
>> about.
>>
>> All it does is list again whats obvious from the UI
>> in the first place.

>>> As far as I know the only programs that do this
>>> automatically are dedicated DVD burning programs
>>> like DVD Fab and Clone DVD,

>> You need to get out more.
>>
>>> which the OP would probably be better served using.
>>> Nero does much more than burn DVD video but if you
>>> know what you're doing you can do it with Nero
>>> anyway..

>> Yes, but you shouldnt have to know what you are
>> doing, the UI
>> should make it obvious how to do something as basic
>> as that.

> There are computer users and computer users.

And there are plenty of fools like you that wouldnt know what a decent UI was if it bit them on their lard arse.

> I have no idea what level of expertise the OP

Its better than yours.

> has but some tasks require more knowledge than others.

Something as basic as that shouldnt require any knowledge.

It should just be a matter of using the UI to do what you want to do.

> If the DVD files in question would fit on a garden
> variety 4.7Gb blank DVD and that is all he has then
> Nero Start Smart will do what he requires automatically.

No it doesnt.

> If he is using a dual layer blank then the same applies.

No it doesnt.

> If, as I suspect, the files are too large for a single
> layer DVD and that's what he's trying to write then he
> must either get hold of a dual layer DVD or compress
> the files, either way it's not difficult but requires
> some limited knowledge.

You have no evidence that they wont fit on a single layer DVD.

> In any case Nero would have informed him that the
> files were too large for the disc if that was the case
> so I'm baffled by the "Nero doesn't want to know" comment.

And that should be enough for even you to realise that it must be more complicated than you claim.

I didnt even say that. I JUST said that the UI is ****ed.

> which is fair enough but as I said earlier I've been using it for many
> years with no problems at all and I find it very reliable and easy to use.

You clearly wouldnt know what a decent UI was if it bit you on your lard arse.

> To each their own I guess.

Guess again.

Swampfox

"Rod Speed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Nope, fact. If someone like that who is quite
>>> capable of doing most things, cant
>>> work out how to do something as basic as that, the
>>> UI is ****ed by definition.

>>> Even a ****ed UI can be usable by trial and error,
>>> stupid.

>>> How odd that it clearly wasnt for him.
>>>
>>> Another one couldnt even work out how to do
>>> something as basic as write a data DVD for backup.

>>> Which doesnt even tell you now to do what he asked
>>> about.
>>>
>>> All it does is list again whats obvious from the
>>> UI
>>> in the first place.

>>> You need to get out more.

>>> Yes, but you shouldnt have to know what you are
>>> doing, the UI
>>> should make it obvious how to do something as
>>> basic
>>> as that.

>> There are computer users and computer users.

> And there are plenty of fools like you that wouldnt
> know what a decent UI was if it bit them on their
> lard arse.
>
>> I have no idea what level of expertise the OP

> Its better than yours.

Another of your facts?

>> has but some tasks require more knowledge than
>> others.

> Something as basic as that shouldnt require any
> knowledge.
>
> It should just be a matter of using the UI to do
> what you want to do.
>
>> If the DVD files in question would fit on a garden
>> variety 4.7Gb blank DVD and that is all he has then
>> Nero Start Smart will do what he requires
>> automatically.

> No it doesnt.

Yes it does.
Click rip and burn, select DVD video, add the files,
click burn.
How easy would you like it?
I don't know of any program that intuitively knows
that you want to burn DVD video files to disc and also
knows where the files are located.
Perhaps you do?
Perhaps you've even experimented with one that will
unwrap a blank disc and insert it somewhere?

>> If he is using a dual layer blank then the same
>> applies.

> No it doesnt.

Yep.

>> If, as I suspect, the files are too large for a
>> single
>> layer DVD and that's what he's trying to write then
>> he
>> must either get hold of a dual layer DVD or
>> compress
>> the files, either way it's not difficult but
>> requires
>> some limited knowledge.

> You have no evidence that they wont fit on a single
> layer DVD.

If they will and Nero won't burn them they are either
royally screwed or the OP doesn't know his way around
even Start Smart, in which case he would probably be
better advised to use something like DVD Fab or One
Click.

>> In any case Nero would have informed him that the
>> files were too large for the disc if that was the
>> case
>> so I'm baffled by the "Nero doesn't want to know"
>> comment.

> And that should be enough for even you to realise
> that it must be more complicated than you claim.

Nope.
Easy as ****.

>> You obviously don't care for Nero

> I didnt even say that. I JUST said that the UI is
> ****ed.

I like the UI, dead easy and intuitive.
Maybe it's just you.

>> which is fair enough but as I said earlier I've
>> been using it for many
>> years with no problems at all and I find it very
>> reliable and easy to use.

> You clearly wouldnt know what a decent UI was if it
> bit you on your lard arse.

I like the UI, dead easy and intuitive.
Maybe it's just you.

>> To each their own I guess.

> Guess again.

Rod Speed

Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Swamp****wit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> There are computer users and computer users.

>> And there are plenty of fools like you that wouldnt
>> know what a decent UI was if it bit them on their
>> lard arse.
>>
>>> I have no idea what level of expertise the OP

>> Its better than yours.

> Another of your facts?
>

>>> has but some tasks require more knowledge than
>>> others.

>> Something as basic as that shouldnt require any
>> knowledge.
>>
>> It should just be a matter of using the UI to do
>> what you want to do.
>>
>>> If the DVD files in question would fit on a garden
>>> variety 4.7Gb blank DVD and that is all he has then
>>> Nero Start Smart will do what he requires automatically.

>> No it doesnt.

> Yes it does.

No it doesnt.

> Click rip and burn, select DVD video, add the files, click burn.

Thats not what he is trying to do, he's trying to use the files on the hard drive.

> How easy would you like it?
> I don't know of any program that intuitively knows
> that you want to burn DVD video files to disc and also
> knows where the files are located.
> Perhaps you do?
> Perhaps you've even experimented with one that will
> unwrap a blank disc and insert it somewhere?

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

>>> If he is using a dual layer blank then the same
>>> applies.

>> No it doesnt.

> Yep.

Nope.

>>> If, as I suspect, the files are too large for a single
>>> layer DVD and that's what he's trying to write then he
>>> must either get hold of a dual layer DVD or compress
>>> the files, either way it's not difficult but requires
>>> some limited knowledge.

>> You have no evidence that they wont fit on a single layer DVD.

> If they will and Nero won't burn them they are either royally screwed or the OP doesn't know his way around even Start
> Smart,

Or you havent even noticed what he is actually trying to do.

> in which case he would probably be better advised to use something like DVD Fab or One Click.

>>> In any case Nero would have informed him that the
>>> files were too large for the disc if that was the case
>>> so I'm baffled by the "Nero doesn't want to know" comment.

>> And that should be enough for even you to realise
>> that it must be more complicated than you claim.

> Nope.

Yep.

> Easy as ****.

Not what HE is trying to do with Nero it aint.

>>> You obviously don't care for Nero

>> I didnt even say that. I JUST said that the UI is ****ed.

> I like the UI, dead easy and intuitive.

You clearly wouldnt know what a decent intuitive UI was if it bit you on your lard arse.

I also mentioned someone else who couldnt even work out how to do a data DVD.

> Maybe it's just you.

It clearly isnt when he couldnt work out how to do what he wasnt to do.

>>> which is fair enough but as I said earlier I've been using it for many
>>> years with no problems at all and I find it very reliable and easy to use.

>> You clearly wouldnt know what a decent UI was if it bit you on your lard arse.

> I like the UI, dead easy and intuitive.

You clearly wouldnt know what a decent intuitive UI was if it bit you on your lard arse.

I also mentioned someone else who couldnt even work out how to do a data DVD.

> Maybe it's just you.

It clearly isnt when he couldnt work out how to do what he wants to do.