Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Drag/drop files into movie software - opinions ?

Re: Drag/drop files into movie software - opinions ?

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Any suggestions for apps ( store-bought or free) that make it EASY to make
> a movie by simply "adding files to timeline" ? THEN I'd Play , trim,
> insert titles, chapters etc. and eventually output to VCD or DVD.

Pinnacle Systems has a suite of products to do precisely what you want to
do. They have a suite of 4 or 5 products, each at a different price point
depending on how robust you want the software to be. They have packages with
a device that uses RCA cables to connect to your old VHS camera and put the
viedo onto a USB cable and drop it onto your hard drive. It also has a
FireWire capability if you can use it.

When the software is loaded, you can take the VHS tapes that you copied to
your drive, and create a DVD. During DVD creation, you can add background
music, voice overs, and various kinds of text. You can also drop in still
photos with transition effects.

You do not need the VHS tape as a foundation, but if you have old tapes, you
can capture them and put the resulting footage onto a DVD, adding in as many
still shots as you want. I see no reason you could not have an entire DVD
consisting of solely stills and your selection of music and your own
narrative. And, since you are making a DVD, you can create chapters and a
menu so you can jump directly to a desired cut. .

I do not recall the actual product name, but I bought mine at Best Buy. I
asked the clerk for a video capture system. I'm sure there are others
besides Pinnacle, but I know there are at least 4 Pinnacle products at
varying price points.

Telstar

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gbpf6i$pmj$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Any suggestions for apps ( store-bought or free) that make it EASY to
>> make a movie by simply "adding files to timeline" ? THEN I'd Play ,
>> trim, insert titles, chapters etc. and eventually output to VCD or DVD.
>>

> Pinnacle Systems has a suite of products to do precisely what you want to
> do.

I must interject. I have found Pinnacle software to be very, very, very
buggy.

Jeff Strickland

"Telstar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gc7017$9u1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gbpf6i$pmj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Any suggestions for apps ( store-bought or free) that make it EASY to
>>> make a movie by simply "adding files to timeline" ? THEN I'd Play ,
>>> trim, insert titles, chapters etc. and eventually output to VCD or DVD.
>>>

>> Pinnacle Systems has a suite of products to do precisely what you want to
>> do.

> I must interject. I have found Pinnacle software to be very, very, very
> buggy.

I've heard that, but not experienced it. I should have stuck to the more
generic term of video capture instead of specifically calling out Pinnacle.
Or, I should have clarified that Pinnacle has stuff to look at, and buy
something in that model ...