Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > What happens when I delete with Shift+Delete

What happens when I delete with Shift+Delete

Sridhar Panatula

How to see the files which are deleted in this way

Charlie Russel - MVP

Those files are gone forever, short of spending large amounts of money to a
forensic analyst. It is certainly possible to recover them. If you
immediately shut down the computer and pay someone with data recovery skills
substantial amounts to recover the file.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Sridhar Panatula" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How to see the files which are deleted in this way

R. C. White

Hi, Sridhar.

Use that method of deleting files that you INTEND to be gone FOREVER.

But, it erases only the pointers to the file, not the file itself. So there
are two ways that you might recover the file. But do NOT continue to use
that partition; anything you write there may overwrite the file that you
want to have back, making recovery almost impossible.

First, you could use a file recovery service, which is generally quite
expensive.

Second, you could use one of the several file recovery utilities available.
They are generally not free, but affordable, and require some computer
expertise on your part. One that has worked a few times for me (not
recently) is R-Studio, which you can find at www.r-tt.com for under $100.

Only YOU know how much time, expense and effort those files are worth to
you.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Sridhar Panatula" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How to see the files which are deleted in this way

Sridhar Panatula

Thanks RC,
That is wonderful explanation

Now going onto my quest of recovering, what is the way I can find out what
files are deleted.

Is there any API call I can make or how to approach this problem. If I get
starting pointer I would like to develop an open source utility for this

Regards
Sridhar

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Sridhar.
>
> Use that method of deleting files that you INTEND to be gone FOREVER.
>
> But, it erases only the pointers to the file, not the file itself. So
> there are two ways that you might recover the file. But do NOT continue
> to use that partition; anything you write there may overwrite the file
> that you want to have back, making recovery almost impossible.
>
> First, you could use a file recovery service, which is generally quite
> expensive.
>
> Second, you could use one of the several file recovery utilities
> available. They are generally not free, but affordable, and require some
> computer expertise on your part. One that has worked a few times for me
> (not recently) is R-Studio, which you can find at www.r-tt.com for under
> $100.
>
> Only YOU know how much time, expense and effort those files are worth to
> you.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "Sridhar Panatula" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How to see the files which are deleted in this way

R. C. White

Hi, Sridhar.

I'm glad it helped. But I'm not a programmer, so somebody else will have to
help with API questions. If you post back with your eventual solution it
might help someone else with a similar problem.

(And please use Reply to the Group, rather than Reply All, which sent me an
email in addition to posting here.)

Good luck.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Sridhar Panatula" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks RC,
> That is wonderful explanation
>
> Now going onto my quest of recovering, what is the way I can find out what
> files are deleted.
>
> Is there any API call I can make or how to approach this problem. If I get
> starting pointer I would like to develop an open source utility for this
>
> Regards
> Sridhar
>
> "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, Sridhar.
>>
>> Use that method of deleting files that you INTEND to be gone FOREVER.
>>
>> But, it erases only the pointers to the file, not the file itself. So
>> there are two ways that you might recover the file. But do NOT continue
>> to use that partition; anything you write there may overwrite the file
>> that you want to have back, making recovery almost impossible.
>>
>> First, you could use a file recovery service, which is generally quite
>> expensive.
>>
>> Second, you could use one of the several file recovery utilities
>> available. They are generally not free, but affordable, and require some
>> computer expertise on your part. One that has worked a few times for me
>> (not recently) is R-Studio, which you can find at www.r-tt.com for under
>> $100.
>>
>> Only YOU know how much time, expense and effort those files are worth to
>> you.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Sridhar Panatula" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How to see the files which are deleted in this way

Tony Sperling

It's been a long time since I did any programming, but I would be surprised
if the API contains the functionality to make this distinction. I am pretty
sure, however, that creative scripting could do this.

Studying MS TechNet, might be helpful?

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9522229

Tony. . .

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Sridhar.
>
> I'm glad it helped. But I'm not a programmer, so somebody else will have
> to help with API questions. If you post back with your eventual solution
> it might help someone else with a similar problem.
>
> (And please use Reply to the Group, rather than Reply All, which sent me
> an email in addition to posting here.)
>
> Good luck.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail 2008 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1)
>
> "Sridhar Panatula" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks RC,
>> That is wonderful explanation
>>
>> Now going onto my quest of recovering, what is the way I can find out
>> what files are deleted.
>>
>> Is there any API call I can make or how to approach this problem. If I
>> get starting pointer I would like to develop an open source utility for
>> this
>>
>> Regards
>> Sridhar
>>
>> "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, Sridhar.
>>>
>>> Use that method of deleting files that you INTEND to be gone FOREVER.
>>>
>>> But, it erases only the pointers to the file, not the file itself. So
>>> there are two ways that you might recover the file. But do NOT continue
>>> to use that partition; anything you write there may overwrite the file
>>> that you want to have back, making recovery almost impossible.
>>>
>>> First, you could use a file recovery service, which is generally quite
>>> expensive.
>>>
>>> Second, you could use one of the several file recovery utilities
>>> available. They are generally not free, but affordable, and require some
>>> computer expertise on your part. One that has worked a few times for me
>>> (not recently) is R-Studio, which you can find at www.r-tt.com for under
>>> $100.
>>>
>>> Only YOU know how much time, expense and effort those files are worth to
>>> you.
>>>
>>> RC
>>>
>>> "Sridhar Panatula" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Sergey Wasilenkow

On Sep 29, 1:31*am, "Sridhar Panatula" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How to see thefileswhich aredeletedin this way

Files deleted using Shift+Delete combination can be recovered with
Easy File Undelete software:

http://www.munsoft.com/EasyFileUndelete/

It uses unique modern algorithms to recover files that other software
either recovers incorrectly or is unable to detect.